Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 1:26:00 PM EDT
Just found this somewhat entertaining due to the dramatization and errors. You can tell she liked her experience but I guess it is hard to cure the Liberal disease.

Ron Pietroniro/Metroland Durham Region Media Group ORONO -- Reporter Jillian Follert's reaction after shooting a clay pigeon at some 75 yards away with a rifle during a visit to a shooting club in Orono.  

Mar 1, 2006

Love them or hate them, guns are everywhere.

Oshawa This Week reporter Jillian Follert decided to find out how it feels to pull the trigger.

CLARINGTON -- It's an unseasonably warm February afternoon at the Orono Fish and Hunt Club, where a handful of retired guys in ball caps and sturdy work boots chat over coffee before heading out to the range.

Situated at the end of an unmarked, winding road somewhere between the bustle of Oshawa and the small town charm of Orono, everything here is quiet and still save for the slow trickle of melting ice.

That is, until the lights on the range switch from red to green and these guys start taking aim.

As someone who's only heard the sound of gunfire on TV and in movies, the deafening crack and reverberating echo leaves me a little stunned at first. I can't get over the sight of people casually loading ammo into giant rifles and unpacking sleek handguns that look like something straight out of a 50 Cent video.

Tony Bernardo -- a longtime club member and executive director of a nationwide pro-firearms coalition -- is my camouflage-clad guide for the afternoon and assures me that I'll be comfortably taking aim in no time.

But first, comes the important matter of range safety 101.

"That," Tony says pointing towards the paper targets in the distance "is down range. All projectiles have to go down range." Check.

I'm told that the range officer -- that would be the guy who watches out for everyone's safety -- is the equivalent of God. If he calls for a cease-fire, you had better cease fire.

Leave the headphones and eye protection on at all times. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire. And for goodness sake, don't point the gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.

With that out of the way, it's time to get down to business.

Hauling out a ring with about a million tiny keys attached, Tony begins the arduous process of unlocking the heavy cases that contain our gun selection for the day, then tackling the trigger locks.

I start off small with a .22-calibre Ruger. The number, I learn, is the diameter of the barrel in hundredths of an inch. In this case, that translates to tiny, almost delicate looking ammunition.

At first, I don't even want to touch the gun. I can't stop thinking about the fact that these are instruments designed and used primarily to kill. Whether it's people or animals, sport or protection, it's not like guns have any other purpose.

I'm also worried about discharging it by holding it the wrong way or dropping it -- accidents happen and I'm not exactly known for grace under pressure.

After working up the nerve to hold it, I'm surprised by how heavy and cold it is.

"They're just hunks of metal, they're nothing to be scared of," Tony offers, noticing that I'm a little hesitant. "They won't hurt you and you won't hurt anyone else, as long as you're being safe."

Feet firmly planted, arms out, hands wrapped tightly around the base, I'm ready to go, Tony advises me to resist the urge to yank the trigger back and instead squeeze slowly like I was juicing a lemon.

The noise is louder than I expect, the recoil is harder, and I can feel the reverberation in my chest. It's an adrenaline rush, but it's also kind of alarming to think that I shot something -- even if it is just a piece of paper.

After the initial shock wears off, we move onto a .22 calibre Beretta, then a .25 calibre Beretta that weighs only 8 oz. and is tiny enough to fit in my coat pocket. The infamous 9 millimetre of hip hop lyric fame comes next, followed by a hefty .45 calibre Ruger with a stainless steel top and ammunition that looks big enough to take down a moose.

It doesn't take long for me to start hitting the target paper, and I'm surprised to discover that I'm not half bad. I always thought that hitting the middle was the goal, but now I know that it's how close together your shots are that matters.

I'm quickly figuring out that Hollywood hasn't done a very good job of portraying realistic gun use -- there's no way you could fire out of a moving car or while jumping between buildings and hit anything, let alone holding the gun sideways, which Tony points out "is a recipe to jam the thing."

We don't waste anymore time on the handguns. After all there are rifles waiting at the other end of the range. These are serious guns -- the kind where you have to be sitting down and resting the front on something so you don't go flying off your feet.

I try out a .222 Remington and an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, both of which are big and intimidating.

It's much easier to aim when you're sitting down and I manage to hit a few of the clay plates in the distance, which break apart with a satisfying crack.

Before I know it, it's time to head out and I realize after checking my watch that I've spent hours pulling the trigger and hanging out with gun guys -- definitely a first on both counts.

I thought I might reach some big philosophical conclusion about guns and violence after my experience, but I don't feel much different. I don't like guns any more than I did yesterday, but I have more respect for the people who enjoy the hobby and go to great lengths to make it safe. If nothing else it's earned me a new nickname at work -- Deadeye.

http://www.durhamregion.com/dr/regions/durham/story/3353046p-3880702c.html

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Glasses on at all times , unless your getting your picture taken?

She think's it didn't change her after a day, but I bet she never looks at guns the same way again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#2]
the way she describes them.  she will probably dislike them even more.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Now that's an honest response I can live with. I don't expect everybody to want to come out and play, but at least respect me and the people I shoot with for the hobby we enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]

We don't waste anymore time on the handguns. After all there are rifles waiting at the other end of the range. These are serious guns -- the kind where you have to be sitting down and resting the front on something so you don't go flying off your feet.
I try out a .222 Remington and an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, both of which are big and intimidating.

I think that part was my personal favorite
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]

These are serious guns -- the kind where you have to be sitting down and resting the front on something so you don't go flying off your feet.

Hollywood......  /sigh

It sounds like she enjoyed it and learned some things,  but didn't want to admit they aren't evil.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Jeebus...

At least he kept her away from the .45-70 and the .460 XVR.

Then again, I learned something new. I never noticed that .22LR  had a felt recoil. Not in my ancient Browning designed Montgomery Wards bolt gun it doesn't feel like it at least.

Maybe I AM turning into a recoil junky...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

These are serious guns -- the kind where you have to be sitting down and resting the front on something so you don't go flying off your feet.

Hollywood......  /sigh

It sounds like she enjoyed it and learned some things,  but didn't want to admit they aren't evil.

To be fair, the same "instructor" who told her that a semi-auto would jam if fired sideways might also have tried to impress the little girl, by telling her the evil AR-15 could "knock her off her feet"  - especially if she was complaining about the report and recoil of a freakin' .22 "reverberating in her chest"

On that note, the article should have had pictures of that reverberating chest, to make the story more personal
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#8]

I have more respect for the people who enjoy the hobby and go to great lengths to make it safe.

Getting more people to say that should be the objective of every gun owner.  It's the first step.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

(I quote Ms. Follert of course)

I don't like guns any more than I did yesterday, but I have more respect for the people who enjoy the hobby and go to great lengths to make it safe.  

Fine by me.

She deserves a pat on the back (from me, anyway) for getting out there and checking it out.

In the end, you don't have to like the fact that I do it. Just let me be while I do my thing as I let you be to do yours.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Oshawa is just east of Toronto. It's a Canadian article.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#11]
It might be news that the reporter actually wrote an article on the trip without screwing her guides by chopping up quotes and lying to make them all look like a bunch of whackos.

But at least she seems to have learned a few basic facts. Maybe, just maybe, her future anti-gun articles won't be so irrational and hysterical.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#12]
"The reverberation of the gun going off caused my boobies to jiggle."

Thats how she SHOULD have written it.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#13]

I can't stop thinking about the fact that these are instruments designed and used primarily to kill. Whether it's people or animals, sport or protection, it's not like guns have any other purpose.

That right there killed the article for me.  She obviously learned nothing that day.  It's funny that she mentions this and then in the same story states how she spent hours behind the trigger punching paper without killing anything.  I guess they are not used for plinking, target practice, high power matches, on, and on, and on,......

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Not the worst gun grabbing article i read, but i'm willing to bet she won't jump to defend guns either.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Gosh those earmuffs look enormous.........oh wait, she just has a really,really tiny head
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hollywood......  /sigh

the report and recoil of a freakin' .22 "reverberating in her chest"

I see you caught that too...GOOD GOD!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

But at least she seems to have learned a few basic facts. Maybe, just maybe, her future anti-gun articles won't be so irrational and hysterical.

it's nice to see someone at least looking into the inner workings of the "other side".  so many of them base their entire anti-gun argument off of fear and emotion.  a little bit of fact mixed into the equation can make a huge difference.  however, judging from the article, i honestly don't think she learned much...  but maybe the trip helped to open her eyes a little bit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#19]
She's not lying. The AR15 was designed to help a soldier be an effective killing machine. At least she went out and shot unlike many in general and probably a lot of guys here.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(I quote Ms. Follert of course)

I don't like guns any more than I did yesterday, but I have more respect for the people who enjoy the hobby and go to great lengths to make it safe.  

Fine by me.

She deserves a pat on the back (from me, anyway) for getting out there and checking it out.

In the end, you don't have to like the fact that I do it. Just let me be while I do my thing as I let you be to do yours.

+1
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I hope none of you got sucked in by that report.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
www.durhamregion.com/images/dr/xtq_pictures/test/DZ_jillianfeature.jpg

Gosh those earmuffs look enormous.........oh wait, she just has a really,really tiny head

Well, at least she's smiling. Someone probably said, "Just pretend you're aiming at BUSH."

"Shooting clay pigeons at 75 yards." With a scoped rifle. Maybe-I use them. They're cheaper than shoot and sees and I have a ton of them in the garage.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Oshawa is just east of Toronto. It's a Canadian article.

Yeah if it had come out of one of the large urban areas of CA, IL, MA, NY or a few other states it would have looked like this:

"I spent my day surrounded my camouflage clad militia members as they fondly fired their deadly firearms with a somewhat dazed euphoric glaze in their eyes. The fact they are even allowed to own weapons like this had me extremely nervous from the beginning but I braved the immense danger in order to research this article.

After vomiting three times just trying to actually touch the first handgun, I couldn't help but think how such firearms kill small children and elderly people everyday as they roam the streets according to these statistics from the VPC.

I next fired a rifle which is capable of penetrating the bulletproof vests the police use. The fact such firearms are available to the general public is unbelievable but many politicians are working on it like Charles Schumer D-NY, John Kerry D-MA and Edward Kennedy D-MA.

I later interviewed Liberal Shitehole USA's Police Chief John Nonutz and he informed me that these weapons I fired are the biggest problem today when it comes to their job of protecting the public. He also stated "The day we rid such weapons from the streets of America it will put an end to all violent crime".

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#24]

it's not like guns have any other purpose.

She hasn't got a freakin clue about what she's talking about. So, an Olympic sport is really just about killing people or animals? With that kind of stupid thinking, I could say the same thing about a bow and arrow. But that's an Olymipic sport too.

The noise is louder than I expect, the recoil is harder, and I can feel the reverberation in my chest.

My Japanese wife weighs less than 100 lbs. She grew up in a no gun culture. Yet she's able to shoot my Browning Buckmark and not notice the recoil and noise. The reporter is a stupid lying cow.

but it's also kind of alarming to think that I shot something

Why is that in itself alarming?  Or any more alarming that getting a strike while bowling? Or curling? Or hitting the target with a bow and arrow or even darts? It's the same damn thing. You're trying to master yourself so that you can put an object in the very spot at which you are trying to hit. The implement is irrelevant to the conversation.

I'm quickly figuring out that Hollywood hasn't done a very good job of portraying realistic gun use

She's a grown woman and she is just now getting some small idea about this? There's nothing quick about that at all.

the kind where you have to be sitting down and resting the front on something so you don't go flying off your feet.

Again more proof that she hasn't got a freakin clue what she's talking about. The real shame is that the idiots will read this and think that is why guns are so dangerous. This comment just breeds and reinforces fear.

I thought I might reach some big philosophical conclusion about guns and violence after my experience,

She hasn't learned a damn thing. She is still equating one with the other. Guns do not have anything to do with violence.

If nothing else it's earned me a new nickname at work -- Deadeye.

My choice for her new nickname is -- Asshat.

Finally, after spending a day, that seemed to go by so fast, shooting all sorts of firearms. Having a big ol smile on her face in the picture. She has the hypocrasy to say she hasn't learned anything. How about that it's a lot of fun, and that the gun owners she met and interacted with were decent people and the range was run in a safe and professional manner. And how about the fact that she didn't feel that her life was in danger one single time. Despite being so close to so many dangerous implements of death that could cause law abiding people to go on a mindless shooting rampage.

What a hypocrit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#25]
At least it was a knowledgable and responsible RSO that was showing her the ropes and not the kind dumb ass that  makes us all look bad... "Yep, little lady, this here baby is an AR-15, just like the ones used by our boys in Viet Nam. You know the bullets tumble through the air and will tear a man to ribbons at six-hunnert yards or more".
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Ron Pietroniro/Metroland Durham Region Media Group ORONO -- Reporter Jillian Follert's reaction after shooting a clay pigeon at some 75 yards away with a rifle during a visit to a shooting club in Orono.  

On her first attempt with a rifle! She earned the name deadeye.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Yeah if it had come out of one of the large urban areas of CA, IL, MA, NY or a few other states it would have looked like this:

"I spent my day surrounded my camouflage clad militia members as they fondly fired their deadly firearms with a somewhat dazed euphoric glaze in their eyes. The fact they are even allowed to own weapons like this had me extremely nervous from the beginning but I braved the immense danger in order to research this article.

After vomiting three times just trying to actually touch the first handgun, I couldn't help but think how such firearms kill small children and elderly people everyday as they roam the streets according to these statistics from the VPC.

The part in red nearly  made me loose all bowel control .

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#28]

At least it was a knowledgable and responsible RSO that was showing her the ropes and not the kind dumb ass that makes us all look bad... "Yep, little lady, this here baby is an AR-15, just like the ones used by our boys in Viet Nam. You know the bullets tumble through the air and will tear a man to ribbons at six-hunnert yards or more".

And if you get hit in the arm, it'll bounce around and come out yer ass taking most of your liver with it.

Off topic a bit:
The teacher said the the class one mornig, "Today we're going to learn about Viet Nam."

Little Jimmy raises his hand and says, "My uncle was in Viet Nam, he got shot in the ass."

The teacher says, "You shouldn't say ass, say rectum."

Little Jimmy replies, "Wrecked him?, hell it killed him!"
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I have to admit I was slightly skeptical about her motivation
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Finally, after spending a day, that seemed to go by so fast, shooting all sorts of firearms. Having a big ol smile on her face in the picture. She has the hypocrasy to say she hasn't learned anything. How about that it's a lot of fun, and that the gun owners she met and interacted with were decent people and the range was run in a safe and professional manner. And how about the fact that she didn't feel that her life was in danger one single time. Despite being so close to so many dangerous implements of death that could cause law abiding people to go on a mindless shooting rampage.

What a hypocrit.

I couldn't disagree more.  People don't change their opinions on topics like gun control overnight.  The most important line from her article was:

I have more respect for the people who enjoy the hobby and go to great lengths to make it safe.

That's a huge step in the right direction.

She definitely doesn't say that she "didn't learn anything" as you imply, she just says "I don't feel different about guns".  But what's important is her perception of gun OWNERS, because we are the ones who need to represent ourselves well in order to NOT be portrayed as a bunch of trigger-happy space shuttle door gunner lunatics.

I suspect that if she were to go shoot a few more times, increase her comfort level with weapons, that she probably would start to come around.   One step at a time...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to admit I was slightly skeptical about her motivation

Hold on a second, that quote from me above was a joke about Liberal Asshat reporting that comes out of places like Chicago, LA, San Fran, New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia, etc,etc.
That didn't come from the original article.  

Here is the full quote but it was just making fun of the typical anti-gun article one might see.

I next fired a rifle which is capable of penetrating the bulletproof vests the police use. The fact such firearms are available to the general public is unbelievable but many politicians are working on it like Charles Schumer D-NY, John Kerry D-MA and Edward Kennedy D-MA.

I later interviewed Liberal Shitehole USA's Police Chief John Nonutz and he informed me that these weapons I fired are the biggest problem today when it comes to their job of protecting the public. He also stated "The day we rid such weapons from the streets of America it will put an end to all violent crime".

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Situated at the end of an unmarked, winding road somewhere between the bustle of Oshawa and the small town charm of Orono,

Yeah that big city of Oshawa
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#33]
At first, I don't even want to touch the penis. I can't stop thinking about the fact that these are instruments designed and used primarily to ejaculate. Whether it's people or animals, sport or protection, it's not like peni have any other purpose.

I'm also worried about discharging it by holding it the wrong way or dropping it -- accidents happen and I'm not exactly known for grace under pressure.

After working up the nerve to hold it, I'm surprised by how heavy and cold it is.

"They're just hunks of flesh, they're nothing to be scared of," Tony offers, noticing that I'm a little hesitant. "They won't hurt you and you won't hurt anyone else, as long as you're being safe."

Feet firmly planted, arms out, hands wrapped tightly around the base, I'm ready to go, Tony advises me to resist the urge to yank the penis back and instead squeeze slowly like I was juicing a lemon.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
At first, I don't even want to touch the penis. I can't stop thinking about the fact that these are instruments designed and used primarily to ejaculate. Whether it's people or animals, sport or protection, it's not like peni have any other purpose.

"They're just hunks of flesh, they're nothing to be scared of," Tony offers, noticing that I'm a little hesitant. "They won't hurt you and you won't hurt anyone else, as long as you're being safe."

Feet firmly planted, arms out, hands wrapped tightly around the base, I'm ready to go, Tony advises me to resist the urge to yank the penis back and instead squeeze slowly like I was juicing a lemon.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Tony Bernardo is the director of the CSSA, which is sort of the Canadian version of the NRA (just smaller, less effective, and with way less money and lobbyists). Good job for him to be taking out some Libs and showing the true "gun culture".....
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Baby steps.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Baby steps.

That picture is just further proof that firearms spread happiness and joy  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a hypocrit.

I couldn't disagree more.  People don't change their opinions on topics like gun control overnight.  The most important line from her article was:

That's a huge step in the right direction.

She definitely doesn't say that she "didn't learn anything" as you imply, she just says "I don't feel different about guns".  But what's important is her perception of gun OWNERS, because we are the ones who need to represent ourselves well in order to NOT be portrayed as a bunch of trigger-happy space shuttle door gunner lunatics.

I suspect that if she were to go shoot a few more times, increase her comfort level with weapons, that she probably would start to come around.   One step at a time...

From an anti-gun reporter I guess this would be about the best the gun owning public could hope for. Even though this article was from Canada it still is an example of the liberal media bias that shows up on an almost daily basis in ALL media outlets. Bottomline is the media everywhere, due in no small part to their liberal influenced college education, is against us. There would like to see them all banned even if this one was somewhat generous in her potrayal. One step forward, two steps back, that is the way it goes it seems in regard to public perception sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I grew up in the South where everyone hunts but me, and if they don't hunt they know plenty that do. So it's hard for me to appreciate how unfamiliar some people are with firearms. Just today I was shocked when a friend of mine told me that she has never even seen a gun in person before.

They're missing out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#41]
.22 report reverberating in her chest.. rifles throwing you off your feet.. still not changing her opinion on guns.

She's got a thick head, and a closed mind. What a shock.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
.22 report reverberating in her chest.. rifles throwing you off your feet.. still not changing her opinion on guns.

She's got a thick head, and a closed mind. What a shock.

baby steps...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top