Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2006 11:54:46 AM EDT
Sorry, I understood to keep my hands off other people's things when I was 12.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060301/ap_on_fe_st/gummed_up_art

DETROIT - A 12-year-old visitor to the Detroit Institute of Arts stuck a wad of gum to a $1.5 million painting, leaving a stain the size of a quarter, officials say.

The boy was part of a school group from Holly that visited the museum on Friday, officials say. They say he took a piece of Wrigley's Extra Polar Ice gum out of his mouth and stuck it on Helen Frankenthaler's "The Bay," an abstract painting from 1963.

The museum acquired the work in 1965 and says it is worth about $1.5 million.

The gum stuck to the painting's lower left corner and did not adhere to the fiber of the canvas, officials told the Detroit Free Press. But it left a chemical residue about the size of a quarter, said Becky Hart, assistant curator of contemporary art.

The museum's conservation department is researching the chemicals in the gum to decide which solvent to use to clean it. The museum hopes to make the repair in two weeks and will keep "The Bay" on display in the meantime, she said.

"Our expectation is that the painting is going to be fine," Hart said.

Holly Academy director Julie Kildee said the boy had been suspended from the charter school and says his parents also have disciplined him.

"Even though we give very strict guidelines on proper behavior and we hold students to high standards, he is only 12 and I don't think he understood the ramifications of what he did before it happened, but he certainly understands the severity of it now," said Kildee.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#1]
spank him
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#2]
charter school + no punishment = poor oppressed minority.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

DETROIT - A 12-year-old visitor to the Detroit Institute of Arts stuck a wad of gum to a $1.5 million painting, leaving a stain the size of a quarter, officials say.

The boy was part of a school group from Holly that visited the museum on Friday, officials say. They say he took a piece of Wrigley's Extra Polar Ice gum out of his mouth and stuck it on Helen Frankenthaler's "The Bay," an abstract painting from 1963.

The gum stuck to the painting's lower left corner and did not adhere to the fiber of the canvas, officials told the Detroit Free Press. But it left a chemical residue about the size of a quarter, said Becky Hart, assistant curator of contemporary art.

The museum's conservation department is researching the chemicals in the gum to decide which solvent to use to clean it. The museum hopes to make the repair in two weeks and will keep "The Bay" on display in the meantime, she said.

Holly Academy director Julie Kildee said the boy had been suspended from the charter school and says his parents also have disciplined him.

"Even though we give very strict guidelines on proper behavior and we hold students to high standards, he is only 12 and I don't think he understood the ramifications of what he did before it happened, but he certainly understands the severity of it now," said Kildee.

The word in red provides all of the information that I need to make a full assessment of the situation.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yep. By age 12 I'd already gotten several whoopn's for not keeping my hands to myself.

And by implication I knew it was a death sentence to do something like this "poor, little" kid did.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#6]
[Red Foreman] DUMBASS! [/Red Foreman]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

bullshit, he knew damn well what he was doing. For some reason making excuses for people is a growing trend in America
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Send a bill to the parents, that may motivate them to teach their child respect for other people's property.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]
This is Jack's total lack of surprise that this would happen in Detroit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
why do you let a group of 12yr olds that close to a 1.5 million dollar painting. second question is why is ANY painting worth 1.5 million

+1
hit it right on the head
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Ban paintings.  They are a bad influence on the children.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#12]
more likely "parent"....

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Send a bill to the parents, that may motivate them to teach their child respect for other people's property.

Good idea.

When I went to museums at his age, I was given strict guidelines to keep my hands away from that shit.

Where was the security at?  They usually hang around large group of kids for that kinda crap.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#14]
They should have had signs saying, "You break it, you buy it."  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#15]
No more cheese for that family
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#16]
http://cs2.cust.educ.ubc.ca/csed420/ArtsEdNet/Images/P/bay.html

Link to a pic of the painting involved left cold.

I wonder how they noticed that gum was stuck to it?

A quote from the link above: "The soft stain and the blot have, for thirty-five years, been the principal verbs of Frankenthaler's pictorial vocabulary. She uses color in an improvisational, almost impressionistic way. The Bay is one of the artist's earliest paintings in acrylics. It immerses form within form, thus producing silhouettes and no sharp edges."
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#18]
saw a piece of "art" for sale in HI a while back- saom"famous" artist got ahould of some crayons and scribbled on a sheet...they were asking 60k for it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
http://cs2.cust.educ.ubc.ca/csed420/ArtsEdNet/Images/P/bay.html

Link to a pic of the painting involved left cold.

I wonder how they noticed that gum was stuck to it?

A quote from the link above: "The soft stain and the blot have, for thirty-five years, been the principal verbs of Frankenthaler's pictorial vocabulary. She uses color in an improvisational, almost impressionistic way. The Bay is one of the artist's earliest paintings in acrylics. It immerses form within form, thus producing silhouettes and no sharp edges."

Ewwww...OK...maybe I see the kid's point.

Nahh...he's still a little bastard for doing it
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Ban chewing gum!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The word in red provides all of the information that I need to make a full assessment of the situation.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

some how I knew you would pick up on that
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#23]
If I had even done that at 6 years old, I'd have been disciplined so harshly I would have never touched chewing gum again until I turned 35. I wouldnt have seen my 13th birthday if I did it while I was 12.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I am jack's total lack of suprise that a minority innercity student placed in a charter school at the expense of everyone else besides the partent of the child would be a little fricking hoodlem ingrate.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
if that kid had been aborted this never would have happened

Cruel, but funny.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
why do you let a group of 12yr olds that close to a 1.5 million dollar painting. second question is why is ANY painting worth 1.5 million

Because that is what some chump is willing to pay for it.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Thank God is was abstract and not real art.

You'd think a museum in Detroit would be prepared for a visit by Bebe's kids.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Real art is. There is only ONE Mona Lisa, what do you figure things like that are worth?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Why wasn't there some rope or glass around it?  Or just mounted high enough so a little 12 year old could not reach it?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#33]
$1.5 million, huh? Then my wife spattered an easy 400 grand last time she painted the porch.

I'm surprised anybody noticed the gum.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Real art is. There is only ONE Mona Lisa, what do you figure things like that are worth?

to me about a buck fity. but then i don't really hold any value for "art". Nice painting, big deal.

OK then, what about an antique firearm or musclecar?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
$1.5 million, huh? Then my wife spattered an easy 400 grand last time she painted the porch.

i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/0micron/frankenbaysm.jpg

I'm glad that a map - with more detail and useful information (cities, roads, etc) - doesn't cost in the billions of dollars.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#37]
BAN ALL SALES OF THAT EVIL SEMI_AUTOMATIC ASSAULT GUM.Do it for the children!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#38]

charter school + no punishment = poor oppressed minority.

From Holly? Hardly.

I am jack's total lack of suprise that a minority innercity student placed in a charter school at the expense of everyone else besides the partent of the child would be a little fricking hoodlem ingrate.

Innercity kid? From Holly....Nope.

Next ignoramis that wants to jump on the bashing bandwagon based on their smarts should know what they are talking about.

What are those symbols you guys use?...8's or something?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/0micron/frankenbaysm.jpg

+1  Like Steyr said, it's not like it was real art.  A retarded chimp could produce "art" equal to modern/abstract art.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Why you all gotta be hatin' on abstract art?

I will gladly admit that the majority of the postmodernist movement is garbage. However, I believe surrealism to be one of the most profound movements in art, and cubism and dadaism were revolutionary and have produced some beautiful works (Guernica, anyone?).

Okay, the painting looks like a blotch. Yes. Simple combinations of color and shape can often times be more expressive than realism.

The kid did a bad thing. If it can be fixed, then send him a bill. If it can't, then send him a summons on a charge of vandalism. Make sure he knows goddamn well not to mess with stuff that isn't his. However, it's sad to say, even the Mona Lisa is falling apart, as Tyler Durden put it. Things don't last forever.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#42]

My son is 12, and believe me, he would know that this was a bad thing.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Honestly, why don't people just swallow their spent gum.  

It just gets pooped out with all the rest of the shit.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#44]
That will go down in history
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#45]
When I was in school we visitied the Huntington Museum and Library.  I'm prettty sure that the rules were no gum anywhere even before getting on the bus, let alone on the bus, off the bus or in the tour.

WTF couldn't they do the same?  We used to be able to survive without gum and cell-phones, why can't they?

I'ld sue the school, I'm sure the rules the Museum gave them wee NO GUM, and the school didn't stand up to the contract.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Everybody's a critic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Beat the fucker.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Why you all gotta be hatin' on abstract art?

I will gladly admit that the majority of the postmodernist movement is garbage. However, I believe surrealism to be one of the most profound movements in art, and cubism and dadaism were revolutionary and have produced some beautiful works (Guernica, anyone?).

This isn't surrealism. "Melting Clocks" is funny,as is MC Escher. This is a blotch of abstract expressionism that only gives meaning to those with wild imaginations. I value art based on how the average man interprets it.
I think "Guernica" sucks too. I'm not a late Picasso fan.

Okay, the painting looks like a blotch. Yes. Simple combinations of color and shape can often times be more expressive than realism.
Yes, simple colors,shape and contrast can be beautiful,but they can also be found anywhere,and can be created as easily by a 5 year old with watercolors,as by a 60 year old with acrylics. Ease of creation should also work into the appreciation of a painting. Any fool can toss paint like Jackson Pollack,but not every man can work like Frederic Remington.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Isn't gum illegal in Singapore?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top