Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 8:23:44 AM EDT

DEADLY ARSENAL: Police officer Alan Struthers with some of the weapons seized by the Lothian and Borders force or handed in by owners.
Picture: Julie Bull

Police take 900 guns off street after bumper six-month haul
by ALAN MCEWEN CRIME REPORTER

PUMP-ACTION shotguns and pistols were among 900 weapons taken off the streets and destroyed by police in the past six months.

The armoury was melted down for recycling after being seized by officers or handed in by owners.

The haul represented an increase of around 80 per cent on the previous six months when 500 weapons were scrapped.

But police said the volume had been "fairly constant" in recent years and urged owners to continue handing in unwanted guns.

Among the more exotic items was a German officer's pistol dating from 1876 which the Royal Museum declined to add to its collection.

An Argentine machine gun from the Second World War was one of 45 weapons from Lothian and Borders Police ballistics section to be destroyed after being deemed surplus to requirements.

The gun was used for many years by ballistic experts to carry out comparative forensic checks.

Dozens of potentially deadly air weapons were also surrendered.

Air rifles, airguns and BB guns were given up, with many parents confiscating them from children.

Sergeant Dougie Roy, from the force's licensing department, oversaw the destruction of the weapons yesterday at an undisclosed location.

He said: "The weapons included pump-action shotguns, target rifles, pistols - all kinds. Some were handed in at police stations by owners who no longer wish to hold firearm or shotgun certificates.

"The total also includes found property, those which have been involved in court cases and others seized by police.

"The public are generally aware that they can hand in guns at our stations. We also have good relationships with gun clubs and registered firearms dealers.

"There was a higher number than in the previous six months, but we have seen a fairly constant amount being destroyed over recent years.

"But we're very pleased that these weapons have been taken out of circulation."

Background checks are carried out on each weapon handed in to determine whether it was used in a crime before being recycled.

The flood of airguns being surrendered follows the tragic death of toddler Andrew Morton who was shot near his home in Easterhouse, Glasgow, last March.

It was followed six weeks later by the shooting of six-year-old Tyler Scott in Edinburgh. The youngster survived, but needed surgery after being hit in the head by a pellet as he played with friends.

According to Scottish Executive statistics, there were 415 crimes involving air weapons in 2003 - with 112 causing injury - out of a total of 970 gun incidents.

Sgt Roy added: "The airgun campaign last year was successful and we're continuing to see people turning these weapons in. But we remain very keen to get these items off the streets.

"A lot of parents have acted responsibly and handed in airguns. Often they discovered the youngsters had acquired them, and decided to take them away which we are happy about."

Edinburgh MP Mark Lazarowicz last year launched a public petition calling for the Government to clamp down on the use of airguns and replica guns.

And SNP Lothians MSP Kenny MacAskill today urged airgun owners to give them up to police as tighter controls are considered by the Scottish Executive.

He said: "I would hope many people have realised the dangers, never mind the consequences, of having these kinds of weapons. If anyone has an old airgun lying in their garage or loft they should surrender it now."

Related topic

Law and Order
http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=307
This article: http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=313212006

Last updated: 01-Mar-06 15:50 GMT

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
images.scotsman.com/2006/03/01/01copb.jpg

DEADLY ARSENAL: Police officer Alan Struthers with some of the weapons seized by the Lothian and Borders force or handed in by owners.
Picture: Julie Bull

by ALAN MCEWEN CRIME REPORTER

PUMP-ACTION shotguns and pistols were among 900 weapons taken off the streets and destroyed by police in the past six months.

The armoury was melted down for recycling after being seized by officers or handed in by owners.

The haul represented an increase of around 80 per cent on the previous six months when 500 weapons were scrapped.

But police said the volume had been "fairly constant" in recent years and urged owners to continue handing in unwanted guns.

Among the more exotic items was a German officer's pistol dating from 1876 which the Royal Museum declined to add to its collection.

An Argentine machine gun from the Second World War was one of 45 weapons from Lothian and Borders Police ballistics section to be destroyed after being deemed surplus to requirements.

The gun was used for many years by ballistic experts to carry out comparative forensic checks.

Dozens of potentially deadly air weapons were also surrendered.

Air rifles, airguns and BB guns were given up, with many parents confiscating them from children.

Sergeant Dougie Roy, from the force's licensing department, oversaw the destruction of the weapons yesterday at an undisclosed location.

He said: "The weapons included pump-action shotguns, target rifles, pistols - all kinds. Some were handed in at police stations by owners who no longer wish to hold firearm or shotgun certificates.

"The total also includes found property, those which have been involved in court cases and others seized by police.

"The public are generally aware that they can hand in guns at our stations. We also have good relationships with gun clubs and registered firearms dealers.

"There was a higher number than in the previous six months, but we have seen a fairly constant amount being destroyed over recent years.

Background checks are carried out on each weapon handed in to determine whether it was used in a crime before being recycled.

The flood of airguns being surrendered follows the tragic death of toddler Andrew Morton who was shot near his home in Easterhouse, Glasgow, last March.

It was followed six weeks later by the shooting of six-year-old Tyler Scott in Edinburgh. The youngster survived, but needed surgery after being hit in the head by a pellet as he played with friends.

According to Scottish Executive statistics, there were 415 crimes involving air weapons in 2003 - with 112 causing injury - out of a total of 970 gun incidents.

Sgt Roy added: "The airgun campaign last year was successful and we're continuing to see people turning these weapons in. But we remain very keen to get these items off the streets.

"A lot of parents have acted responsibly and handed in airguns. Often they discovered the youngsters had acquired them, and decided to take them away which we are happy about."

Edinburgh MP Mark Lazarowicz last year launched a public petition calling for the Government to clamp down on the use of airguns and replica guns.

And SNP Lothians MSP Kenny MacAskill today urged airgun owners to give them up to police as tighter controls are considered by the Scottish Executive.

He said: "I would hope many people have realised the dangers, never mind the consequences, of having these kinds of weapons. If anyone has an old airgun lying in their garage or loft they should surrender it now."

Related topic

Law and Order
http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=307
This article: http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=313212006

Last updated: 01-Mar-06 15:50 GMT

I hope those fuckers get whats coming to them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#2]
They can Bite Me.

Damn, I'm glad I don't live in the UK.  Emigration is a bitch.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Burn the bb guns, do it for the children!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope the hunting crowd heard the part about
shotguns being confiscated.

Your 3 round mag blocks won't save
you from a .gov empowered to steal your
possessions and rights.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I seriously doubt they were "on the street" to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

possessions and rights.

I don't think I could echo this sentiment any louder.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

possessions and rights.

They were turned in, NOT CONFISCATED.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Police buy back programs just like the ones we have here in the US.

I never have and never will sell any gun to any buy back program for any reason!

NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

possessions and rights.

they were turned in because owners "...no longer wish to hold firearm or shotgun certificates."

make the hoops small enough, and the money big enough to maintain your CCW, then make it mandatory to have a CCW to have a pistol, and see how many people "decide" to turn in their deadly arsenals...

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

possessions and rights.

Background checks are carried out on each weapon handed in to determine whether it was used in a crime before being recycled. -Notice how it's gone from being "evil" to "good"?

"A lot of parents have acted responsibly and handed in airguns. Often they discovered the youngsters had acquired them, and decided to take them away which we are happy about." -Yes, YOU are a bad parent, according to the Scottish Po-po, if you allow your children to have these insideous tools.

Edinburgh MP Mark Lazarowicz last year launched a public petition calling for the Government to clamp down on the use of airguns and replica guns. And SNP Lothians MSP Kenny MacAskill today urged airgun owners to give them up to police as tighter controls are considered by the Scottish Executive.
He said: "I would hope many people have realised the dangers, never mind the consequences, of having these kinds of weapons. If anyone has an old airgun lying in their garage or loft they should surrender it now."- .gov being empowered to "clamp down".

So, just explain it all away as they weren't confiscated?...  Mmkay.

My point was that shotguns, airguns, replica guns....It doesn't matter.
When the .gov is empowered to take your rights away, they will come for everything.

Sitting on the sideline hugging your bolt-action .22 while supporting "responsible"
parenting and "reasonable" gun control will only result in your rights going away, too.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#11]
The shotguns were turned it because owners didn't want to deal with all the hoops.

I thought you were only taking about  shotguns in your original post.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#12]
So, I guess it's safe to say these 900 guns were NEVER used in a crime.  I'd say they missed all the evil guns that really are out there ON THE STREEET....(the HORROR!!!!!)

I guess for Scotland, that's progress.  Old people dying and their relatives turning in their firearms.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

possessions and rights.

"Why that's cwazy. That'll nevuh happen. We have the Second Amendment to pwotect ouw wight to hunt. It's you cwazy wight-wing Bwack Wifle guys that aw wuining it fow the weasonable hunter and spowtsman....."

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The shotguns were turned it because owners didn't want to deal with all the hoops.

I thought you were only taking about  shotguns in your original post.

Well, I probably could've stated it better....I was
going for a bigger picture kinda thing.

AFAIK makeing people jump through a non-permissive # of hoops, and then
turning them into criminals if they don't keep thier papers in order is
the same thing as confiscation.

Much like the quote from that comedian
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#15]
This is a parody, right?

I mean.....a JOKE, RIGHT!

Jeez Loo-eez!

The thing that jumps out at me upon reading this is the apparent success of the antigunners in the U.K. in brainwashing the public about the realitive dangers of......shit!  Of what!  We're not talking about just firearms here.  I don't kow what to call it, maybe, "things that either ARE firearms OR LOOK LIKE firearms!"

I'll tell you guys one thing.  That double barrelled shotgun the officer is holding looks especially dangerous; TWO barrels on ONE gun!!
Oooooooo!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#16]
This just in......

Scottish children so weak they are unable to survive a BB.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#17]

We should follow their lead and BAN ALL BB GUNS - - For The CHILDREN!!!!!

Seriously, it is a flat out shame that the sheeple have allowed themselves to be brainwashed to the point that they will hand over pretty much the only form of self defense.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The Scottish are obsessively anti gun. All the momentum for gun control in Britain comes from Scotland. It's no problem owning a firearm in England, Ireland or Wales but the Scots Police are a bunch of dicks and openly hostile to firearm ownership north of the border.

99% of the 'guns' in that photo are BB guns,  air pistols, air rifles and old shotguns.

They had a similar 'gun amnesty' in Manchester a few yars ago. The Police proudly announced that nearly 5,000 'guns' had been taken off the streets. When pressed on the details they eventually admitted only 3 real handguns had been handed in, 2 war relic lugers and a Webley. The rest were the usual collection of BB guns, air rifles and worn out shotguns.

ANdy

Fuckers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Boys that is too real for us here in Chicago , as our commie mayor & Gov. are having a good chance to pass a assault weapons ban - that you have 90 days to DESTROY OF TURN IN all guns these 2 fags dont like -- if it passes it will be entertaining to see how many dumbasses stand in line to turn them in !  ---- i wont be one of them
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I seriously doubt they were "on the street" to begin with.

I don't know - I was in Glasgow two years back and the streets were awfully bumpy - never thought to look to see if I was running over any rifles though...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The Scottish are obsessively anti gun. All the momentum for gun control in Britain comes from Scotland. It's no problem owning a firearm in England, Ireland or Wales but the Scots Police are a bunch of dicks and openly hostile to firearm ownership north of the border.

99% of the 'guns' in that photo are BB guns,  air pistols, air rifles and old shotguns.

They had a similar 'gun amnesty' in Manchester a few yars ago. The Police proudly announced that nearly 5,000 'guns' had been taken off the streets. When pressed on the details they eventually admitted only 3 real handguns had been handed in, 2 war relic lugers and a Webley. The rest were the usual collection of BB guns, air rifles and worn out shotguns.

ANdy

i thought it looked like a lot of those were pellet and BB guns...

we're getting this type of thing happening in our anti-states too, where guns are all but illegal, so they go after "dangerous" airsoft and replica "weapons". interestingly enough, the reason given as to why these fake-guns need to be banned is because "the police may mistake them for real guns and shoot..."

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#23]

destroyed by police in the past six months...
German officer's pistol dating from 1876 which the Royal Museum declined to add to its collection.

That's history you Scots are melting.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Police buy back programs just like the ones we have here in the US.

I never have and never will sell any gun to any buy back program for any reason!

NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!

I don't know man. I've got a Davis P380 that I'd happily turn in for say a 200 buck walmart card. Damn thing is so crappy I don't understand what was going through my 21 year old hormone flooded brain when I bought it... for 99 bucks
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The Scottish are obsessively anti gun.

William Wallace must be spinning in his grave(s).
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Why does that "officer" in the pic look like a ZOMBIE? Is this part of their secret plan to take over the world by making sure their prey is unarmed?

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top