Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 7:45:25 AM EDT
Builder said there are water pipes under the slab near where I want to bolt my safe. He said the slab is 4" -4.5" thick. How deep do the safe bolt go into the concrete?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Until water starts shooting up
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#2]
87 inches.

Seriously, I would think three inches would be sufficient, but I'm no expert.  If you can't go deep, you can compensate with more bolts.

Wouldn't it be bad to drill all the way through the slab because of possible moisture problems?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#3]
How thick is the slab?

I'd go as deep as possible.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
87 inches.

Seriously, I would think three inches would be sufficient, but I'm no expert.

+1.  If it's as a deterent to theft, a 400+lb safe, secured with 4 bolts 3-3.5 inches into concrete, should severely frustrate their efforts.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
87 inches.

+2

Research has proven that this is the minimum reliable depth!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#6]
You could have a concrete platform built on top of the spot where you want to put your safe.  The bolts would go into the platform and not the slab where the water pipes are located.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Someone recently posted an alternative for when anchoring is not possible. Take two long/thick sheets of metal, maybe five feet long x twelve inches wide x one quarter inch thick, and weld them to the bottom of the safe. (Like it was going to ski). If your safe is too wide to go through a doorway, weld these plates on running front to back, so that even if they can move the weight they can't get it through the door without a cutting torch or a chainsaw.

EDIT--For typo.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Someone recently posted an alternative for when anchoring is not possible. Take two long/thick sheets of metal, maybe five feet long x twelve inches wide x one quarter inch thick, and weld them to the bottom of the safe. (Like it was going to ski). If your safe is too wide to go through a doorway, weld these plates on running front to back, so that even if they can move the weight they can't get it through the door without a cutting torch or a chainsaw.

EDIT--For typo.

The idea I went with was to bolt all the safes together.  I figure they weigh as much as a duece and a half.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top