Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 7:05:16 AM EDT
Ok here's the scoop.  I have 4 bars I need to combine into 2.  A set of open data and a set of closed data.

Within the open data, there are 2 categories making up the total bar, same with the closed data.  

What I need is multiple stacked bars per month and I have no idea how to make excel do that.

anyone got any ideas.  I did a search of google and it was fairly worthless.

This applies to graphing my data not merging the cells or anything in the actual data sheet itself

thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate to bump it myself, but I need some help on this one
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, whenever you combine 2 cells with data in them you are going to lose the data in one of the cells. If it's numerical information in each of the cells, then I suggest using a formula to total them.

Example:

If you have data in cell A2 and cell B2 that you want to total then in cell C2 type =sum(a2:b2)

I don't know if this helps or not, but with advice you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Bars? Open and closed data? Huh?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#4]
My imagination isn't working today.
Let's see a sample of the data.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#5]
ok, I will make a pic of what I need to do

anyone want to host it for me?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:29:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

email it to me
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Try this site

EXCEL
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Just screenshot it and go to tinypic.com
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#9]
What are you talking about?  Is it a bar graph and you want to combine two bars into one?  Just make a new column and add the two sources together.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

email it to me

email sent

I will have an example with an explination shortly
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#11]
You need multiple columns under a single month heading?

Put the columns you want under the month heading and type in the month in a cell above the columns
Then select the cells that you want merged so that the month will be in a single cell
Then press the "Merge and Center" button which is right next to the three justification buttons (text left, text center, text right) on my screen.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You need multiple columns under a single month heading?

Put the columns you want under the month heading and type in the month in a cell above the columns
Then select the cells that you want merged so that the month will be in a single cell
Then press the "Merge and Center" button which is right next to the three justification buttons (text left, text center, text right) on my screen.

i2.tinypic.com/ot2qmr.jpg

Sorry, I clarified above in my first post.

I am trying to show 2 stacked columns side by side in a plot of my data.  And all my research has turned up an extremely convoluted way of doing it
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Still waiting to recieve the email. I saw that you sent it, Yahoo must be going slow.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh - In a chart.

Without knowing exactly how you want the final look to be it would be difficult to help.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#15]

here is what I want to do

the red and the blue are in one set, say new reports recieved

the green and the purple are in another, say reports closed this month

there are 2 main groups each with 2 sub groups
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I really hate doin this but *BUMP*
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Stacked Column is one of the standard chart types in Excel. Using that should get you about what you want.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Stacked Column is one of the standard chart types in Excel. Using that should get you about what you want.

Not comparing 2 or more stacked columns.  There is a way to do it, its horribly convoluted and only looks correct.  I have other trendlines on the chart as well as the data table and you lose all fedelity in the trends and in the data

in short, its impossible
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not comparing 2 or more stacked columns.  There is a way to do it, its horribly convoluted and only looks correct.  I have other trendlines on the chart as well as the data table and you lose all fedelity in the trends and in the data

in short, its impossible

Try not putting them together in side by side columns (in the spreadhseet, not the chart view)- can you do that?  Just guessing here.  If I have time I'll play with it tonight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top