Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 4:48:27 AM EDT
So... There's this company from Utah running CCW courses up here in the Great White North.
Apparently once we Cannucks take the course, fill out the paperwork and get finger printed the info get sent to Utah for processing and presto I... a non US citizen will be issued a Utah CCW permit.
With resoprosity agreements it "looks" like this Utah CCW would be valid in several other states...
What say ye re. the legality of this?
What say ye re. the possibility of foreigners CCW-ing in your country

I travel to the US with my firearms (for sport) under an approve batf Form 6NIA, but this Utah CCW thing.... I dunno

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:52:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess it's possible. Typically you need to be state resident to get a CCW. Without a long term visa or a green card I just don't see how. Sounds like BS to me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:00:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:39:09 AM EDT
[#3]
One possible problem:  for reciprocity purposes, some states only recognize other states' CCW permits, if the holder of that permit is a resident of the state that he holds the permit in.

In other words, someone from NYC can get a Florida permit and carry in Florida, but not in (for example) Oregon.  (I'm not sure Oregon has that restriction -- used just to put a state name in there.)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:44:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
One possible problem:  for reciprocity purposes, some states only recognize other states' CCW permits, if the holder of that permit is a resident of the state that he holds the permit in.

In other words, someone from NYC can get a Florida permit and carry in Florida, but not in (for example) Oregon.  (I'm not sure Oregon has that restriction -- used just to put a state name in there.)

They don't say the ccw is good in all states.... but some states do honour the utah permit  resident or not...
I'm not gonna test this... 'just seems odd that if this is legal... as a foreigner I have more (gun) rights in your country tha I do in my own
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:46:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As a non-US citizen - even with a green card - you can not touch a firearm in Washington state let alone carry one.

Note to self: Don't touch gun in Wash.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:14:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
As a non-US citizen - even with a green card - you can not touch a firearm in Washington state let alone carry one.

Wrong.

You need an "Alien Firearms License", and you need a Washington DL or ID card to get it, but it's doable.

www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652010.pdf
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:16:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Uh Paul, you are wrong on that one. WA state needs a Alien Firearms Permit, then you are good to go.

(CDN citizen, green card, WA state resident, CPL, owns >1 gun)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife is a permanent resident alien.  The state of VA issued her a CCW permit, but NC will not.  However, these states have reciprocity so with the VA permit, she can carry in NC.  In order to qualify for the permit in VA, she needed to prove she was a resident there.  

As to how I feel, I'd like her to have the option to carry.  If a non-citizen can qualify to purchase a handgun they should also be allowed to carry it, but in your case I dont think you qualify to purchase since your not a resident.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My wife is a permanent resident alien.  The state of VA issued her a CCW permit, but NC will not.  However, these states have reciprocity so with the VA permit, she can carry in NC.  

Have you verified that with the NC CCW licensing authority? Reciprocity doesn't mean that a state may not have additional restrictions on who may possess a firearm in the state.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So... There's this company from Utah running CCW courses up here in the Great White North.
Apparently once we Cannucks take the course, fill out the paperwork and get finger printed the info get sent to Utah for processing and presto I... a non US citizen will be issued a Utah CCW permit.
With resoprosity agreements it "looks" like this Utah CCW would be valid in several other states...
What say ye re. the legality of this?
What say ye re. the possibility of foreigners CCW-ing in your country

I travel to the US with my firearms (for sport) under an approve batf Form 6NIA, but this Utah CCW thing.... I dunno

A number of states have "non-resident" permits.  However, the reciprocal states may or may not recognize the non-resident permit as they would a resident permit.  To complicate things further, it varies by state.  And, yes, it may vary even if a state recognizes non-resident, there might be a US citizen restriction.

Let me recommend:   www.packing.org .  There is a tab marked "CCW info" which leads to a handy matrix of states which accept a particular state's permit, and some of the variations.    You also can ask a question on the forum/board there.  I would suggest you get the list of states honoring the permit you can get, then check their own (usually state DOJ) website.  On packing they have a number of direct links to the issuing authorities, so it should be easy to do.  

One caveat: the law may be one thing, but not all cops know what it is, and too many others make it up as they go along "the law is what I say it is."

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My wife is a permanent resident alien.  The state of VA issued her a CCW permit, but NC will not.  However, these states have reciprocity so with the VA permit, she can carry in NC.  

Have you verified that with the NC CCW licensing authority? Reciprocity doesn't mean that a state may not have additional restrictions on who may possess a firearm in the state.

Well, thats' what I was told at the Sherriff's office,  but they are sometimes confused as well.  So, I pulled the statute.  There  is no requirement that a non-resident be elegible to obtain a permit in NC in order for reciprocity to be granted.  Legal resident aliens are able to purchase handguns in NC (and Federal Law).  So it does not appear there are any restrictions that would make it illegal.

§ 14‑415.24.  Reciprocity; out‑of‑state handgun permits.

(a)       A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina if that state grants the same right to residents of North Carolina who have valid concealed handgun permits issued pursuant to this Article in their possession while carrying concealed weapons in that state.

(b)       The Attorney General shall maintain a registry of states that meet the requirements of this section on the North Carolina Criminal Information Network and make the registry available to law enforcement officers for investigative purposes.

(c)       Every 12 months after the effective date of this subsection, the Department of Justice shall make written inquiry of the concealed handgun permitting authorities in each other state as to: (i) whether a North Carolina resident may carry a concealed handgun in their state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit and (ii) whether a North Carolina resident may apply for a concealed handgun permit in that state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit. The Department of Justice shall attempt to secure from each state permission for North Carolina residents who hold a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit to carry a concealed handgun in that state, either on the basis of the North Carolina permit or on the basis that the North Carolina permit is sufficient to permit the issuance of a similar license or permit by the other state. (2003‑199, s. 1.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top