Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 4:13:34 AM EDT
This is pretty sad when people don't even know their rights guaranteed by the Constitution and even though only 1000 people were polled, one jackass even said the right to own a pet is protected under the 1st. Should we really be surprised that our rights are slowly being taken away and no one in this country cares?

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11611015/
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:29:04 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a stupid study. Apples and oranges.

The Simpsons is on in most places at least once a day, every day and has been for 16? years.

People learn about the Constitution for a week or two every other year in school.

Obviosly it's no excuse, but it's a given people know the Simpsons better than the Constitution. Heck, i'm a poli sci major and I know the Simpsons better than the Constitution.

If the was a sitcom called "The 1st Amendment," you can bet people would know what it was.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:30:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:31:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That's a stupid study. Apples and oranges.

The Simpsons is on in most places at least once a day, every day and has been for 16? years.

People learn about the Constitution for a week or two every other year in school.

Obviosly it's no excuse, but it's a given people know the Simpsons better than the Constitution. Heck, i'm a poli sci major and I know the Simpsons better than the Constitution.

If the was a sitcom called "The 1st Amendment," you can bet people would know what it was.

True, but if someone doesn't know what the 1st protects and it is quoted more than any other Amendment, then that indeed is truly a sad state of affairs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:50:15 AM EDT
[#4]
These polls have been around for as long as I can remember.  And the results are always pretty dismal.
The "Simpson's Comparison" is a wrinkle I haven't seen before, but the bottom line is still valid; people do NOT know their own Constitution.

I remember a poll about thirty years ago (70s era).  It was on the Bill of Rights, not the Constitution, but similar idea.  It was truely alarming how many people thought that the Bill of Rights was a Communist document.

I kid you not.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:51:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Survey says DUPE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top