Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 3:48:47 AM EDT
I have been looking at house as of late and I think I have found one that suites all of my needs and wants except one, a wood burnning fireplace.  The fireplace in this one was once wood but has been converted to gas. How hard would it be to convert it back to wood? Just have the gas line capped off and moved and fill the holes? Or is there more to it than that?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:12:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably wood (heh) consult a fireplace store.  Maybe it was converted because it had gone bad and could not handls a real fire anymore
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:14:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a propane fireplace that I thought about having converted as well.  Instead, I'm electing to have a 2nd chimney put in (about $4k) to allow a wood stove in the basement level of the house.

It's not happening next week by any means, but I'll save up for it.

I think have 3 fuel sources in your home is a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:14:51 AM EDT
[#3]
do you mean it uses gas to start a wood fire or it strictly burns gas?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:21:51 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as it was originally designed and built for wood, I would think it would be rather easy and inexpensive.  Now, if the fireplace was designed for gas with a typical insert, it would have been prohibitive.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:30:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
do you mean it uses gas to start a wood fire or it strictly burns gas?

It was wood at one point and it looks like someone just added a gas line and put in a kit. All the wood parts are still there. I am able to look up the chimney and see the sky. I actually goggled this after I posted (I need to learn to do that the other way around) and it looks like converting it back is as simple as capping off the line and removing the logs. There also may be an option of having the gas line converted into an igniter for the wood.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:34:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:03:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If it helps any, it was very common in homes built in the 30's to have a traditional wood fireplace with galvanized pipe gas line off to one side.  They were used for both gas logs and conventional wood fireplaces.  To convert, you simply capped off the galvanized pipe and removed the gas logs.  Oh yea, open the dampner more.

Tj

Or add a gas starter (pipe with slits cut in it that goes across the bottom of grate). Much easier than using rolled up newspapers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:13:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the flue inspected, may need to be relined.

Fireplaces are romantic, but horrible energy wasters.  Go for a woodstove, you will get cheap heat and not have most of your BTUs go up the chimney.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Get the flue inspected, may need to be relined.

Fireplaces are romantic, but horrible energy wasters.  Go for a woodstove, you will get cheap heat and not have most of your BTUs go up the chimney.

+1  Wood stove is the way to go.  I wish there was any easy way to get on installed in my house.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top