Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 9:33:35 PM EDT
Tonight I dodged answering a question from my Developmental Psychology professor because I would have said some things that would have gotten me in trouble.  I blamed my inability to answer on my cold.

He was going on and on about multiculturalism and how great it is, when it came to me in a flash.  I think multiculturalism IN THE USA is a bad idea for exactly the same reasons that I think multiculturalism in Haiti is a wonderful idea.

The bottom line is that the US is the richest and most powerful empire in the history of humanity.  There is no reason to tinker with success.  The US dominates the world in all areas.  We do what we want and the world takes it, and that's the end of that.  

If you were talking about a second-rate nation like Nigeria or the Congo or North Korea or any one of a number of other nations... how about Mexico?... then I can see why multiculturalism would be a good idea.

Since the US is on top of the world, it only makes sense to continue down the path that brought the US to its current dominance.  OTOH, if you are a loser like Mexico, then it only makes sense to bring the US into your country and learn at the feet of the Master.  Maybe you can learn how to be successful.  Maybe not, but maybe so.  There is no reason for the US to adopt Mexican customs, that only makes the US more like a third-world nation and less like the leader that it is.

There is no reason for the US to learn from Rwanda or the Congo or Nigeria how to run our schools or our local governments, or our libraries.  The US has the best thing going, and any immigrants to the US should understand that they are migrating into the system that succeeds, not the one that fails.

The only thing that went through my mind when Dr Essex was droning on about multiculturalism and how important it is to be welcoming and mindful of new cultures was that it's a huge mistake.  The Mexican kid in the back said that his parents weren't supportive of his efforts to educate himself, and he had to rise above it.  He adopted our way of life and rejected his loser roots.  How is that embracing multiculturalism?  It's not, and it's as simple as that.

Multiculturalism is a loser for the US, and all of us should vocally reject multiculturalism as the BS feelgood practice of the minorities that it is.

You don't force your top student to adopt the study habits of your bottom quartile, you show the bottom quartile the light that the top 1% radiate out to the ignorant masses.

That is all.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You are on your way to becoming a well-educated idiot.

It's not about race, or culture...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, great arguement... except everyone else thought they too were the best. Notably:

British Empire
Germany
Spain
Islamic Empires
China

And they looked to keeping their culture pure. Wow, seems to have worked, huh?

The "path" that America has taken to arrive where we are is the integration and individuality of seperate cultures.  Just as the Irish influenced us and the majority of Americans hated them. Just as Jews were hated. Just as about anyone who came to America after the first wave of Protestant British were hated. And yet... here we stand.

In closing, your a
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Kindof ironic how the "rejects" of the rest of the world have been so successful isn't it?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Kindof ironic how the "rejects" of the rest of the world have been so successful isn't it?

+1

Has nothing to do with race, its a melting pot.

Unless you believe we are runnin out of oil.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wow, great arguement... except everyone else thought they too were the best. Notably:

British Empire
Germany
Spain
Islamic Empires
China

And they looked to keeping their culture pure. Wow, seems to have worked, huh?

The "path" that America has taken to arrive where we are is the integration and individuality of seperate cultures.  Just as the Irish influenced us and the majority of Americans hated them. Just as Jews were hated. Just as about anyone who came to America after the first wave of Protestant British were hated. And yet... here we stand.

In closing, your a

Key word.
Multiculturalism is not integration.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Just think of all the things you could learn from the people in all those 3rd world shitholes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just think of all the things you could learn from the people in all those 3rd world shitholes.

Clitoral Circumcision, for starters.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#8]
NUFF SAID?

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The only thing that went through my mind when Dr Essex was droning on about multiculturalism and how important it is to be welcoming and mindful of new cultures was that it's a huge mistake.  The Mexican kid in the back said that his parents weren't supportive of his efforts to educate himself, and he had to rise above it.  He adopted our way of life and rejected his loser roots.  How is that embracing multiculturalism?  It's not, and it's as simple as that.

Multiculturalism is a loser for the US, and all of us should vocally reject multiculturalism as the BS feelgood practice of the minorities that it is.

You don't force your top student to adopt the study habits of your bottom quartile, you show the bottom quartile the light that the top 1% radiate out to the ignorant masses.

That is all.

Uh, what makes you think that any of the stuff you just mentioned is what multiculturalism is supposed to be about?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is all.

Uh, what makes you think that any of the stuff you just mentioned is what multiculturalism is supposed to be about?

In the spirit of MAD magazine we have...

vs.

Ready?  FIGHT!

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#11]
The phrase "melting pot" was used in one of the posts which America use to be.  The efforts to keep people within their own languages, cultures and communities is part of the overall effort to weaken this nation.  The less unified we are, the less strength we have when it is time to defend our borders.  Without the nationalistic spirt of America, we crumble.  Individual groups and disorganized communities create insurmountable problems we will go broke trying to solve.  
If you immigrate to any other country in the world, they expect you to blend in, learn their way of doing things and contribute to the overall growth and strength of the nation...except in America where liberals have taught the idea that freedom is at its purest sense when anarchy reigns.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#12]
They don't melt anymore.  hippie.gif
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:42:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Key word.

*Sigh*   Yes, but multiculturalism leads to integration of new ideas/beliefs into a culture.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:08:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I dont get what the big deal is?

Since 1776 the US has had regions that speak their native tounge, and still practice their native culture.

I think one can revere past traditions, while embracing new. Current American traditions are a hodgepdoge of various cultures.

I think getting lucky in the back seat of a Chevy is one tradtion that American can claim as its own.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:20:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:21:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Multiculturalism is balkanizing the United States.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:24:22 AM EDT
[#17]
You mean multiculturalism like the banjo.  an African instrument brought to perfection in American and now an icon of out county?  Or maybe the Scots/Irish roots of Countyr  Music....No- I know  ...that PURE American culture of hamburgers...oh wait those came from Germany as Hamburg Steaks.

W are muliticultural my friend and my English, German, French,Litho/Pole, Scotch blood that eats lasanga and sushi proves it.  

Let me give you a hint. As a professional historian you have no legs to stand on. Every generation before us has had a problem in this area.  We will continue to have one as well. The answer is not a alck of multiculturalism but rather what parts of the other cultures we accept or reject.

Don't become a neo nazi here..that would be too multicultural (German, Spanish, Italian)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Couldn't have said it better myself, Peak_Oil!!! And I don't always agree with the stuff you post , but you hit the nail right on the head.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:37:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Key word.

*Sigh*   Yes, but multiculturalism leads to integration of new ideas/beliefs into a culture.

The way I see it, our "multiculturalism" is just a PC way to re-enforce racial stereotypes, which only leads to segregation, not integration.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:43:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm all for multi-culturism,as long as that culture doesn't include Islam.Why must we accept Islam if it flies in the face of what this country is about ?

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Key word.

The way I see it, our "multiculturalism" is just a PC way to re-enforce racial stereotypes, which only leads to segregation, not integration.

+1000

I have no problem with various cultures lending their "flavor" to America, its one of the things that makes America great.

BUT what the modern day lib and dem consider "multiculturalism" is BS. That brand of multiculturalism can eventually destroy this country. The general, greater culutre of this country shouldn't be destroyed in the name of "diversity".

Making kids learn Spanish...bullshit. Your in this country, English is the language of the land. Learn it. Don't want to, then that fine, but don't EXPECT the country to bend over to meet YOUR need.

Ebonics...please! What a crock.

That is the sort of multiculutralism that helped doom the Roman Empire...

That is the problem...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:56:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The phrase "melting pot" was used in one of the posts which America use to be.  The efforts to keep people within their own languages, cultures and communities is part of the overall effort to weaken this nation.  The less unified we are, the less strength we have when it is time to defend our borders.  Without the nationalistic spirt of America, we crumble.  Individual groups and disorganized communities create insurmountable problems we will go broke trying to solve.  
If you immigrate to any other country in the world, they expect you to blend in, learn their way of doing things and contribute to the overall growth and strength of the nation...except in America where liberals have taught the idea that freedom is at its purest sense when anarchy reigns.

+1
I think some of you rainbow fag opps, i meant Flag, types should take a look at Europe. They embraced Multiculturalism to the Nth degree. They are now at the brink of a race war (a'la Nigeria).
Some Cultures are "imperialist" meaning they think their traditions, language and religion are superior to yours and they wany YOU to adopt thier ways or at least leave them to to thier own thing EVEN IF IT IS CURRENTLY AGAINST YOUR LAWS! They dont want to assimilate to yours or your countries. Some cultures are "close enough" (italian, Greek, Irish, Hispanic etc.) that they can blend no problem or eventually. But what about those "others"? (i wont mention who they are, not on this board!) It is a recipie for disaster.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:11:44 AM EDT
[#25]
We have much to learn from mother africa.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
America is a great nation due in no small part to our blending of many cultures.

Everyone agrees with this, but the way multiculturalism is currently thought of and implemented in this country serves to keep the groups of people seperate with a seething dislike of each other.

America is not a melting pot, it is a salad.

Multiculturalism is worthless PC garbage.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:24:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
We have much to learn from mother africa.

True, my friend, so true.  Why, just yesterday I rid myself of HIV by having sex with an infant.  If it weren't for the wonderful sharing of culture and tradition, I never would have learned this quaint yet effective remedy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Multiculturalism, the only part that's worth anything, happens naturally.  Some pieces of immigrant culture make it into the local , regional, and then national consciousness.  It will take a while before Ramadan attains the status of even Yom Kippur, let alone Christmas.

This new "multiculturalism" has an agenda.  Get rid of Columbus Day and accommodate foreign language speakers in public schools.  The track record says that's pretty much a failure.  If you really believe in it, start your own private school and get it right.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't care what you multiculturalism proponent/yaps say, I'm pretty comfortable with my "Redneck, White socks, and Blue ribbon beer" background, and see no reason for change.

And quite resent the usual nature for forced thinking (meaning believing in every prevalent idea).

So, yes, I agree with the original post.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
There is no reason for the US to learn from Rwanda or the Congo or Nigeria how to run our schools or our local governments, or our libraries.

Wrong.

We have much to learn from Mother Africa.

ETA, damn. Red_Beard beat me to it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#31]
WARNING... COMPLETE THREAD HIJACK

You know... I am all for it... here's why.

When you combine one individual of Asian heritage, and one of Caucasian heritage....you get... some GOOD LOOKING PEOPLE.  Phoebe Cates is FREAKING HOT.

This also works with other heritages....

Mariah Carrey… HOT.

I am ALL FOR the creation of beautiful people.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Eliminate communist indoctrination and propaganda centers that are also known as “public schools.” Problem solved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top