Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 8:19:07 PM EDT
Good?  Bad?  Nasty Cajun shit?

Anyone ever ordered from these guys?

www.cajunsausage.com/

Getting tired of using mild italian sausage in my gumbo.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I use it in Gumbo and in Red Beans there are normally no complaints from those who eat my cooking.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#2]
andouille is really good.  this is making me think of boudin. hmmm  probably wouldnt want to put that in gumbo though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
using mild italian sausage in my gumbo

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I know, but what else am I supposed to use?  I'm more likely to find a howler monkey in my ass than find andouille up here.  Just started finding chorizo thanks to the ever increasing messy-can population.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
this is making me think of boudin. hmmm  probably wouldnt want to put that in gumbo though.

I think I'd rather eat escargot.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
this is making me think of boudin. hmmm  probably wouldnt want to put that in gumbo though.

I think I'd rather eat escargot.  

you have obviously never had good boudin.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

you have obviously never had good boudin.

I've never had it at all and considering the ingredients, I'd like to keep it that.

Organ meats =
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Make your own.  It is smoked pork sausage.  Recipes everywhere.  Very easy, and you don't need to put it in casings.

/google it dude!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
My red beans n rice is a cajun-texican version that uses chorizo... no complaints so far.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yeah, I know, but what else am I supposed to use?  I'm more likely to find a howler monkey in my ass than find andouille up here.  Just started finding chorizo thanks to the ever increasing messy-can population.

Got a CostCo anywhere nearby?  At least in Seattle, they (used to?) have a whole meat case full of different types of sausage, including Andouille.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#11]
No Costco and Sam's only has brats and italian sausage.

Ethnic-type foods don't really fly around here.  About the only thing ethic the stores stock is messy-can food.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:42:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:10:08 AM EDT
[#13]
If the andouille ain't from Louisiana, it just ain't andouille.

Period.

Don't y'all mess around with stuff you know nothing about.

Y'hear?

Eric The(I'mTalkingToYou,Boy!)Hun
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#14]
As a matter of fact, I cannot think of anywhere you can get the really good andouille outside of LaPlace, Louisiana.

Throughout most of Acadiana you can rely on the boudin, but not on their andouille, if they even choose to have it.

Even here in Texas, we have to make do with second-rate andouille, which can still make up a great gumbo or jambalaya, depending on what you're using.

But not what you'd expect in Louisiana.

Eric The(AreYouListening,Son?)Hun
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:50:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Eric, are you familiar with the place I linked to in the first post in this thread?  It is in LaPlace.

Thinking about ordering a couple of pounds of andouille and a pound of tasso from them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:51:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They should be some high end gorocery stores around there. Check by one of their deli's and ask for Andouille .

I live in BFE.  Hardee's is high end dining.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Eric, are you familiar with the place I linked to in the first post in this thread?  It is in LaPlace.

Thinking about ordering a couple of pounds of andouille and a pound of tasso from them.

Yes, indeed!

It's the real thing, and you would not be disappointed, my friend.

Eric The(TalkAboutGood)Hun
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damnit.  Time to clean my friggin keyboard again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Damn, damn, damn! Wrong thread.... Out of the country for two months, two weeks left to go,
and people are going to start torturing me by talking about real food. Damn you! Damn you all!!!

*unstoppable boudin cravings begin*

*whimper*

Sam
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
andouille is really good.  this is making me think of boudin. hmmm  probably wouldnt want to put that in gumbo though.

You do mean hot boudin don't you?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Next time you need chorizo, try making your own.  Just mix together your favorite chili powder (2 Tbls), salt (2tsp), Garlic ( I usually use enough to wipe out an entire colony of vampires, but you could start with a couple cloves, mashed), and 1 1/2 lbs ground pork.  This is a pretty basic recipe.  You should begin with this and then add whatever touches you like to spice it up to your taste.

You can pretty much do the same with the Andouille if you want.  The only thing is if you don't have a sausage stuffer (, not that one you pervert!), you would have to go without the casing.  That isn't all bad.  You would still have the flavor, just not the exact texture.  For this you would need 2 lbs ground pork, 4-6 cloves minced garlic (did I say I like garlic), 1 Tbls salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp thyme, 2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp sage, 1 bay leaf crushed, and 2 tsp liquid smoke-hickory flavor.  Mix all this up and roll into meatballs.  Brown and use in recipe of choice.  Not as good as the real thing, but I think it works pretty well in a pinch.

Damn, now I'm hungry.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#22]
If you can't find it, you can always substitute Hot Links or Linguisa (sp)..

I make my own Boudin

Made 20# of Brats for the Super Bowl...Yummy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top