Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/28/2006 4:13:12 PM EDT
because it depicted his prayer at valley forge.  What has this country come to?  I think ARFCOM should send this teacher some support!  I fear where we are headed.

See news article here.

-Ben
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
because it depicted his prayer at valley forge.  What has this country come to?  I think ARFCOM should send this teacher some support!  I fear where we are headed.

See news article here.

-Ben

Why should "we" support a religious zealot who is trying to use the public classroom to push his superstitious beliefs onto students at taxpayer expense?  He doesn't deserve support, he deserves to be fired!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See news article here.

-Ben

Why should "we" support a religious zealot who is trying to use the public classroom to push his superstitious beliefs onto students at taxpayer expense?  He doesn't deserve support, he deserves to be fired!!!

Well, if in fact, GW DID pray at VF, a painting depicting it would be ok?  Ah the rub.  The facts are murky.  Just so we toss out ALL murky facts in school, but something tells me the liberal "facts" remain, but conservative "facts" can't be substantiated, so out they go.

Washington pray

GW Link 2
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See news article here.

-Ben

go back to DU
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If it were a painting of Saladin praying before battle, everyone would be too afraid to object to it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See news article here.

-Ben

Oh, I agree completely.  Go home to the DU.

-Ben
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Not looked closely at your money lately????? Or seen the official Congessional Chaplian? Or military Chaplians????

DUh is needing their idiot back.            
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]
That's bullshit!  Right in my hometown... I'll remember that when I enter politics.  Those asswipes running our schools couldn't find their ass with both hands, much less teach kids anything worthwhile.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Are you people so intellectually challenged and incapable of entering into an intelligent discussion that your only recourse is calling others names like "troll?"  How pathetic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you people so intellectually challenged and incapable of entering into an intelligent discussion that your only recourse is calling others names like "troll?"  How pathetic.

You are the intellectually challenged one in the discussion, fucking troll.  You have no idea what you are talking about.  Go back to DU with the rest of your kind.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's an artists impression of a historical event stupid.

It's not a religious comment. You'll never get that though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are the intellectually challenged one in the discussion, fucking troll.  You have no idea what you are talking about.  Go back to DU with the rest of your kind.

+1

go home
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm not the one who believes in silly superstitions and magical beings.  And I don't approve of  these misguided people using tax money to try and shove their silly superstitions down innocent children's throats.  Obviously you disagree, and would rather behave like the Taliban using government to force your religious beliefs on others.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See news article here.

-Ben

YEAH!!  That damn George Washington!! What did he ever do, anyway?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See news article here.

-Ben

YEAH!!  That damn George Washington!! What did he ever do, anyway?

Damn him.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not the one who believes in silly superstitions and magical beings.  And I don't approve of  these misguided people using tax money to try and shove their silly superstitions down innocent children's throats.  Obviously you disagree, and would rather behave like the Taliban using government to force your religious beliefs on others.

Yep.

All for free speech, unless of course you don't agree with it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

After all, it's the liberal way!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

After all, it's the liberal way!

+1
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See news article here.

-Ben

So you wish to rewrite history, saying it is utterly false that George Washington did "NOT" pray at Valley Forge?  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#19]
It's not like a picture of someone praying is the same thing as prayer. (Not that I buy all the BS we have to put up with already, it's freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion)

Maybe I should sue all the over the air channels every time they show pictures of some group of ROPers kneeling torwards Mecca and saying something in Arabic on the news. Why should we be able to have prayer on public airwaves if you can't have any form what-so-ever even just saying the word god in the public square?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Was he praying in Spanish?

I'm trying to figure out how the poster relates to the curriculum.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So you wish to rewrite history, saying it is utterly false that George Washington did "NOT" pray at Valley Forge?  

I don't know if George Washington prayed at Valley Forge or not.  Regardless, it is NOT a historically significant event.  Even if he did pray, it still made no difference whatsoever in the outcome of the war.

What we have in this case is an attempt by a rabidly pro-religion teacher tyiyng to use an insignificant event for one reason only, and that is to push a religious agenda onto the students in a public school.  And that's against the law.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Was he praying in Spanish?

I'm trying to figure out how the poster relates to the curriculum.

History my good man.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know if George Washington prayed at Valley Forge or not.  Regardless, it is NOT a historically significant event.  Even if he did pray, it still made no difference whatsoever in the outcome of the war.

What we have in this case is an attempt by a rabidly pro-religion teacher tyiyng to use an insignificant event for one reason only, and that is to push a religious agenda onto the students in a public school.  And that's against the law.

Wow.......DU's finest......
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Disagree.
It was a symbolic event.
We were near disaster at Valley Forge.
Washington found strength from his prayer, and it enabled him to keep the Continental Army together.
How dare you spit on the legacy of our Founders.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Ahh, beat to post the picture.......

I can't stand the freedom FROM religion crowd....another one of those made up freedoms.

How a picture is forcing religion on children is beyond me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

your a dumbass , and I'm done with this thread
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are telling me you cannot possibly see how this was significant in US history?  To be at the brink of death, morale dwindling away, the forces of the enemy closing around, all else seeming to be hopeless, but to find the strength to embolden one to go on and push for victory?  

Look again.  A truly inspirational moment in our history I say.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

-Ben

We ain't headed there, we are already there. Most just haven't realized yet, including our enemies.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And what law would that be?

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#30]
   As long as the righteous keep "pulling down" their banners and memorials, their  enemies will keep demanding more of them...I'm glad the founding fathers got to the point where they said, enough is enough...
If parents would pull their  kids out of the schools, they would lose money and they would rethink their policies.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I wonder if the 'channel one" that kids watch in homeroom ever shows ROPers praying????? SHUT IT OFF!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IN GOD WE TRUST BABY!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#33]
First of all, the picture has absolutely nothing to do with religion in the slightest, and anyone saying otherwise is an idiot.

On a completely seperate note, show me where this "seperation of church and state" is?  It is not in the constitution, I can tell you that.  It was a phrase used by a Justice of the supreme court, which somehow got turned into a law?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
   As long as the righteous keep "pulling down" their banners and memorials, their  enemies will keep demanding more of them...

This works because there are not enough with decency, morals and strength.  As long as they can fire or punish a few here and there instead of many, it will continue.  Fact is they have the men in this country on the run with their tails between their legs.  Pretty damn sad and it is only going to become worse.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I see no problem with the Washington poster, and I'm an atheist.

I don't see this as pushing religion on the students.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Why did they take down the poster of Washington praying and not....

www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137834422644&path=!news&s=1045855934842

Posters that Zanca allowed to remain up in Lee's classroom included materials about the religious practices of Inca and Mayan civilizations, a photo of Boy Scouts praying in memory of those killed in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and an article and photo of an aircraft-carrier flight technician with "Pray for America" written on his helmet.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
You are telling me you cannot possibly see how this was significant in US history?  To be at the brink of death, morale dwindling away, the forces of the enemy closing around, all else seeming to be hopeless, but to find the strength to embolden one to go on and push for victory?  

I once saw a painting of George Washington chopping down a cherry tree.  That doesn't mean it actually happened.  And while some may feel that story is "inspirational," it is not by any means "historical."  This "artistic interpretation" was merely being used to push a religious agenda, and not teach real histroy.

Quoted:

It's called the First Amendment, and has been ruled upon by the SCOTUS in countless cases and that makes it the law of the land whether you like it or not.  And whether you agree with it or not.

Quoted:

At least I can spell.  And punctuate.  And capitalize  And all much better than you.  How's it feel to be stupider than a "dumbass?"
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I once saw a painting of George Washington chopping down a cherry tree.  That doesn't mean it actually happened.  And while some may feel that story is "inspirational," it is not by any means "historical."  This "artistic interpretation" was merely being used to push a religious agenda, and not teach real histroy.

Quoted:

It's called the First Amendment, and has been ruled upon by the SCOTUS in countless cases and that makes it the law of the land whether you like it or not.  And whether you agree with it or not.

Quoted:

At least I can spell.  And punctuate.  And capitalize  And all much better than you.  How's it feel to be stupider than a "dumbass?"

Go away.  You are not wanted here.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the Supreme Court is always right?
Why don't we ask Dred Scott about that?
And how about "discovering" a right to abortion.
I don't care too much if abortion is legal, but you don't have a right to it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ooh, insulting somebody about his grammatical skills! How mature we are!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Look MAW! The self professed "English major" just stepped on his dick!

Silly wabbit.....

Mods, clean-up, aisle 9!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Amazing.

Pretty soon it's going to be illegal to discuss the First Amendment because it contains the word "religion" in it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Amazing.

Pretty soon it's going to be illegal to discuss the First Amendment because it contains the word "religion" in it.

Ruh roh! You just said "religion". JavaMan's going to get you!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#44]
There's nothing wrong with showing a picture of Washington praying.  Washington was religious and did pray.  Big deal.  Our "liberal" values are too distorted from sense.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least I can spell, punctuate, and capitalize, much better than you.  How's it feel to be stupider than a "dumbass"?

Fixed for grammar and punctuation.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Ruh roh! You just said "religion". JavaMan's going to get you!

Forgive me if I don't panic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See news article here.

-Ben

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you were to write an intelligent response worthy of an answer instead of one-line libtard "zingers" maybe you might see some real debate on the issue.  I doubt that is your goal however.  Do let us know when you have one of these uber-smart posts we are to become threatened by though.  So far I've missed them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't think that it is Washington praying so much as it is the cross formed by the trees above the horse's ass.  That is BLATANT pushing of christianity.  How dare they show that cross in our schools.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So would you also agree with the schools that forbid teaching the Declaration of Independance because it says that "...All men are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights....." and a mention of a creator, ie GOD, is impermissable?  Would you also support forbidding the teaching of the Constitution because it says "In the year of our lord" at the top?

-K
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top