Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 3:55:37 PM EDT
How far is a watt? Is that a measure of its effective range?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#2]
87 yards to be exact
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]
slow night
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a fender tube amb in the 50w range. It seams to be able to reach the neighbors in their living room, who then come over and tell me to trun it down.

So if 50w can reach across the street, I'd say 40w can reach the neighbors mailbox
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Well if you really want to know:

A watt is a unit of power or the amount of energy per unit time.

Kilowatt-hour, MWd
When paired with a unit of time the term watt is used for expressing energy consumption. For example, a kilowatt hour, is the amount of energy expended by a one kilowatt device over the course of one hour; it equals 3.6 MEGAjoules (1 hour = 3600 seconds). A megawatt day (MWd or MW·d) is equal to 86.4 GJ (1 day = 86400 seconds). These units are often used in the context of power plants and home energy bills.

For the use of watts as a measurement of transmitter power in radio, see effective radiated power and nominal power.

MWe, MWt
Watt electrical (abbreviation: We) is a term that refers to power produced as electricity. SI prefixes can be used, for example megawatt electrical (MWe) and gigawatt electrical (GWe).

Watt thermal (abbreviation: Wt). This is a term that refers to thermal power produced. SI prefixes can be used, for example megawatt thermal (MWt) and gigawatt thermal (GWt). For example, a nuclear power plant might use a fission reactor to generate heat (thermal output) which creates steam to drive a turbine to generate electricity. See nuclear proliferation for discussion of a reactor that generates 200 MWt (50 MWe), and another reactor that generates 800 MWt (200 MWe).

there you go
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Kilowatt-hour, MWd
When paired with a unit of time the term watt is used for expressing energy consumption. For example, a kilowatt hour, is the amount of energy expended by a one kilowatt device over the course of one hour; it equals 3.6 MEGAjoules (1 hour = 3600 seconds). A megawatt day (MWd or MW·d) is equal to 86.4 GJ (1 day = 86400 seconds). These units are often used in the context of power plants and home energy bills.

For the use of watts as a measurement of transmitter power in radio, see effective radiated power and nominal power.

MWe, MWt
Watt electrical (abbreviation: We) is a term that refers to power produced as electricity. SI prefixes can be used, for example megawatt electrical (MWe) and gigawatt electrical (GWe).

Watt thermal (abbreviation: Wt). This is a term that refers to thermal power produced. SI prefixes can be used, for example megawatt thermal (MWt) and gigawatt thermal (GWt). For example, a nuclear power plant might use a fission reactor to generate heat (thermal output) which creates steam to drive a turbine to generate electricity. See nuclear proliferation for discussion of a reactor that generates 200 MWt (50 MWe), and another reactor that generates 800 MWt (200 MWe).

there you go

Dont suppose you could convert that to Ft?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kilowatt-hour, MWd

MWe, MWt

there you go

Dont suppose you could convert that to Ft?

We'll get right on that.  Right now, we are busy making lead into gold.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Lets try to bear in mind that the plasma is phased, not just arbitrary current. I assume they are using 40W of power, but locking the phase at some transient angle to harness some ungodly output. But then again, find me a shop that actually keeps one in stock

"Only what you see pal"
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#11]
40 watts?  I can measure that.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Kilowatt-hour, MWd

MWe, MWt

there you go

How many watts does it take to kill a terrorist? Then we can figure out terrorists per hour.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I went through a temporal rift and double tapped.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I always took it more as a statement of power than of distance.
I.E. what kind of armour it can defeat, or how much penetration through cars/trucks/schools.  Similar to saying, "I want a microwave oven that generates around 500 watts of power" (IOW, in the 500 watt range)
'Course if one could phase plasma it would be effective.  We use "unphased" plasma all the time.  It's just the phasing that's the hard part.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#17]
ok, here is the formula you need to figure it out. Just plug in the #'s and go from there.

1 W = 1 J/s = 1 newton meter per second = 1 kg·m2·s-3
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I always thought it was:
P=I*E
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lets try to bear in mind that the plasma is phased, not just arbitrary current. I assume they are using 40W of power, but locking the phase at some transient angle to harness some ungodly output. But then again, find me a shop that actually keeps one in stock

"Only what you see pal"

What's arbitrary current?

What I meant by that is, assuming the input signal is AC current, the signal can be represented by a sine wave. One full wave will represent 360 full degrees of of the phase. Now, its been a long long time since I had to do AC transient analysis in school, but I remember something to the effect of massive power gains when you measured the amplitude of the output stage of say an amplifying circuit....as the input AC signal swept through the 360 degrees of a phase, at various points in the transitions, parameters would be just right to effect exponential gains. Call me a major geek, but I always kinda figured that by 'phased' they meant, tuned to one of those transient angles and locked into the exponential gain. By arbitrary I meant not tuned in but simply allowed to sweep through the full wavelength.

I am sure there is someone here that can better explain this....I havent read that book in ten years. Any EE's care to chime in?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#20]
DAMMMIT ALL TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!

I'M SICK OF THIS SHIT. FOR CHRIST SAKES YOU ALL HAVE IT ALL WRONG

now that I have your attention, let me explain.....who ever came up with this 40W bullshit is an idiot. The fallacies run amok with the 40W shit as SWS has shown above.

Let me correct you, it called

"A Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40TETRA W Range"

Let me see you measure that SWS

what a bunch of pansies
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

now that I have your attention, let me explain.....who ever came up with this 40W bullshit is an idiot. The fallacies run amok with the 40W shit as SWS has shown above.

what a bunch of pansies

Do you mean "tera"[Watt]?

Tetra???
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what a bunch of pansies

What multiplier is a tetra?

4X

watt
megawatt
gigawatt
tetrawatt
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what a bunch of pansies

Tetra???

tera??? where the hell do you get tera??????

tera = earth
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Tera = 10^12.

I can't measure that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Tera = 10^12.

I can't measure that.

right now current technology prohibits anything larger than 40Tetrawatts, but this "tera" SWS, that you speak of sounds even better. I'll get my monkeys from DARPA right on that first thing in the AM
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

ETA - if you're asking about range, you need to know the resistance in Ohms of air, which I have in my notes somewhere.

If you want to break it down a bit further, you wont just consider the conductivity of air (resistance) but you also consider the composition of charge. As induction occurs as a function of magnetic field being introduced to the air, electrons and protons will begin to polarize. As that occurs, the probability that like charges be grouped together increases. As the positive charges form a cloud on one end of the range....and the negative charges form a cloud on the other end of the range, the path of resistance changes dramtically. This is the principle that defines where lightening will strike.  Current always take the path of least resistance. I assumed that intelligent life that could create the T1000 had access to superconductor technology. I figured that a post modern bullet proof vest would simply be a flak jacket made of a superconductor, that was of course grounded to some capacitive repository to store charge.....in effect, a full drained, infinitly rechargable battery.....you get shot with the plasma rifle and the jacket takes the hit, stores the charge....done.

Something else to consider.....what if we are talking about a cutting laser?
a 0.5mW laser can blind a person......that is 0.0005 Watts.......consider the average red dot laser (typically Helium Neon, and actually, more typically these days, a diode)......now take something 80,000 the intensity (40W) and put that beam on someones face. Could be a great SHTF rifle
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
How far is a watt? Is that a measure of its effective range?

Twice as far as half of it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I was wondering about that. A 40 watt plasma beam might be enough to singe my chest hairs but it’s not going to do any real damage.

Now 40 terawatts is a different story, at least assuming it’s not a picosecond burst from a 40 terawatt plasma beam. Then we would be back to the 40 watt thing again.

40 tetrawatts (The amount of energy reflected from a neon tetra.) would probably be less than 40 watts. However I’m not aware of any weapons research that involves using aquarium fish to generate plasma. (Eels are another story.)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tera = 10^12.

I can't measure that.

right now current technology prohibits anything larger than 40Tetrawatts, but this "tera" SWS, that you speak of sounds even better. I'll get my monkeys from DARPA right on that first thing in the AM

Dude...that is some GOOD weed you got there!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

tera = earth

Terra = earth
Tera = trillion

Doesn't anyone finish high school anymore?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tera = 10^12.

I can't measure that.

Dude...that is some GOOD weed you got there!

no weed here.

just my DARPA monkeys
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I was wondering about that. A 40 watt plasma beam might be enough to singe my chest hairs but it’s not going to do any real damage.

Now 40 terawatts is a different story, at least assuming it’s not a picosecond burst from a 40 terawatt plasma beam. Then we would be back to the 40 watt thing again.

40 tetrawatts (The amount of energy reflected from a neon tetra.) would probably be less than 40 watts. However I’m not aware of any weapons research that involves using aquarium fish to generate plasma. (Eels are another story.)

I bet a 40w Plasma beam would vaporize your ass.

A 40 watt Laser would cut a M1A1 tank in half
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I just called into the office and had my monkeys play around with some of the equipment. this is what they came up with:

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread makes the baby Jesus' stepbrother, Greg the Electrical Engineer, cry.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what a bunch of pansies

Tetra???

tera = earth

1.21 Jigawatts?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#39]

bump for humor value.

Besides, 40w refers to power supply, the plasma charge is the actual "projectile". hence more info required (pics too )

I'd say a staff weapon is a great example of a fully functional 40w "rifle"

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#41]
SOMEbody never learned SI in school!

Oh, and your DARPA monkeys just sent you a picture of the University of Lyons' TeraMobile Project, a project that uses buzzwords I don't understand to basically say they're using lasers to guide electric discharges.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Depends on the signal flux; think of it like a shotgun barrel ranging from over bored and spraying plasma all over thing within a 10 yard radius and 120 degree azimuth, to ultra extra full choke with a 2mm diameter beam that can hit the Moon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top