Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 3:36:53 PM EDT
Boeing Demonstrates Innovative Technologies that Expand Network-Centric Capabilities of Fielded Aircraft

(Source: Boeing Co.; issued Feb. 27, 2006)

ST. LOUIS --- In recent live flight tests, advanced information management technologies developed by researchers from Boeing and the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) demonstrated they could dramatically improve the way airborne platforms acquire, sort and exchange real-time mission data with each other and with command and control centers on the ground.  

The enabling technologies include algorithms called intelligent software agents that can autonomously infer and execute actions to access, evaluate and integrate desired data. In this case, they allow aircraft to fully exchange information in real time with the Global Information Grid (GIG) -- an expansive network-centric information system used by the U.S. Department of Defense as well as national security and intelligence communities for fast, efficient communications.  

The intelligent software agents enable aircrews of platforms like the F-15 to use the GIG to publish, subscribe and pull information and imagery tactically relevant to their missions, including the location of friendly forces and unmanned platforms, as well as the status of potential targets.  

"These GIG-enabling technologies demonstrate they can provide both the aircrew and the commanders with an unparalleled view of the common operating picture as well as improved real-time situational awareness, contributing to an increased operational tempo," said Patrick Stokes, Boeing Phantom Works manager of Network-Centric Operations Contract R&D Programs. "This dramatically improves their ability to complete missions in a dynamic, time-critical environment."  

Boeing Phantom Works has been under contract with the AFRL since October 2004 to develop information management services that provide network-centric machine-to-machine interoperability between tactical fighters and command and control elements. The effort is funded by the AFRL Information Directorate, based in Rome, N.Y., under the Joint Battlespace Infosphere (JBI) program. One of the objectives of the JBI program is to develop and demonstrate Global Information Grid information management services in an operational context.  

Phantom Works engineers and the AFRL demonstrated the new capabilities on Feb. 1 and 3 during flight tests in St. Louis involving the Boeing F-15E1 Advanced Technology Demonstrator, which was modified with intelligent software agents. The F-15E was linked to the GIG as its aircrew flew tactically relevant scenarios similar to those flown during Operation Iraqi Freedom. It was the first time an in-flight tactical aircraft had been linked to the GIG to provide unprecedented situational awareness.  

As the intelligent software agents autonomously sorted and filtered information, the F-15E aircrew quickly and accurately sent and received only the most pertinent mission data and images along the GIG. Additionally, the agents transformed Link 16 data such as target status, vehicle health, fuel status and weapon stores into information that was shared across the GIG for use by commanders in a Command and Control Air Operations Center. In turn, the commanders used this information to direct and redirect the F-15E aircrew to engage primary and secondary targets.  

The F-15E aircrew exercised on-demand access to the GIG for updates on friendly forces, unmanned air vehicles, and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance data around target areas -- all of which dramatically improved the crew's ability to effectively complete dynamic, time-critical missions.  

"The intelligent software agents were critical to the success of the demonstration," said Eric Martens, Boeing Phantom Works principal investigator for the program. "This demonstration validated the Boeing approach of using off-board intelligent agent technology to enable fielded aircraft to operate effectively in the GIG," he said.  

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
late edition bump
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#2]
"Intelligent Software Agents"

Sounds like a great idea.......

..... UNTIL  the CYLONS shut down your computer network !

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:57:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if this sort of thing will force a return to 2 seat fighters. sorting and "publishing"  all of this information would be a job for a dedicated information manager surely. I know that the Beagle is already a 2 seater, but what about the Raptor, F-35 etc? How is the pilot, who is also flying the plane, looking for threats, engaging targets, navigating etc. also going to be sorting and sending relevant data to the GIG all on his own?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:04:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wonder if this sort of thing will force a return to 2 seat fighters. sorting and "publishing"  all of this information would be a job for a dedicated information manager surely. I know that the Beagle is already a 2 seater, but what about the Raptor, F-35 etc? How is the pilot, who is also flying the plane, looking for threats, engaging targets, navigating etc. also going to be sorting and sending relevant data to the GIG all on his own?

The enabling technologies include algorithms called intelligent software agents that can autonomously infer and execute actions to access, evaluate and integrate desired data.

Looks like THey already THougT of THaT, and found a way To aVoid needing a seconD person.

(Sorry abouT THe caps; I'm HaVing some keyboard Trouble)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:06:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:20:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The enabling technologies include algorithms called intelligent software agents that can autonomously infer and execute actions to access, evaluate and integrate desired data.

Looks like THey already THougT of THaT, and found a way To aVoid needing a seconD person.

I saw that, but how reliable will the agent be? Computers have an irritating habit of doing amazing things with the wrong dataset all the time. I'm sure that they will be well programmed and all, but I can't help this nagging feeling that without  a human filtering the data, the agent will end up spamming crap all over the network at least some of the time.

BTW, your post looks like your trying to avoid a span filter:

"GeT FReE RoleX AgEnT PR0N fOr STriKe EaGLes!"
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:25:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop asking those sort of obvious and arkward questions that upset the 'bean counters'

EVERYONE knows you need a 2 seater in a strike/fighter aircraft, but it pushes up the operating cost paying for the ballast in the back.

ANdy

It seems like the modern way of way that we try to remove people as much as possible. Its cheaper, it helps with poor recruiting, and it means less friendly body bags. I wish the bean counters would try to remember that redundancy, in this case, the "ballast" in the back seat, actually helps ensure that the multimillion dollar piece of hardware actually does the job the're paying for
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:46:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:05:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:19:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to GIG, our secondary targets are here, and here:

An accordion factory, and a mime school.

Men, in five hours we hit the enemy toast. Thats coast sir. Huh? Coast? Well that'll take a little more planning, no matter.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:30:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
"Intelligent Software Agents"

Sounds like a great idea.......

..... UNTIL  the CYLONS shut down your computer network !

What has the documentary Battlestar Galactica taught us? Watch out for blonde cylon agents roaming around Boeing and Lockheed. Lt Col Carter isn't one of them
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:55:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Microsoft coming up with the software? Shudder....
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:12:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Piece of cake, plus all the info has to survive encryption/decryption.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:15:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:19:04 AM EDT
[#15]
ground "ok now reboot the computer and log in
pilot at 50,000 feet: what?
ground: "reboot and log in, we will have to do an IPconfig / all to see your mac address"
Pilot: "big mac what?
ground: "OK good now enter IPconfig /release"
pilot:" releasing Jdam"
Ground :" good now IPconfig /renew"
Pilot: "got bogies on my tail!"
Ground: "good now tell me your IP address and gateway"
Pilot: " I have only on bomb left and I am going to drop it on you....must kill IT guys..."
Ground" good, now restart and....whats that whistiling noise......."
Pilot: "Heh, you suck at teh piloting W00t!"LOL...OMFG...ROTFLMAO...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:27:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Piece of cake, plus all the info has to survive encryption/decryption.

Just make sure Cyberdyne Systems has nothing to do with it!

Do they bid low and deliver behind schedule at a minimum of two times over budget on every contract?  If so, we're in.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:28:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
ground "ok now reboot the computer and log in
pilot at 50,000 feet: what?
ground: "reboot and log in, we will have to do an IPconfig / all to see your mac address"
Pilot: "big mac what?
ground: "OK good now enter IPconfig /release"
pilot:" releasing Jdam"
Ground :" good now IPconfig /renew"
Pilot: "got bogies on my tail!"
Ground: "good now tell me your IP address and gateway"
Pilot: " I have only on bomb left and I am going to drop it on you....must kill IT guys..."
Ground" good, now restart and....whats that whistiling noise......."
Pilot: "Heh, you suck at teh piloting W00t!"LOL...OMFG...ROTFLMAO...

Damn.  That's funny and I think I will post a copy at work.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop asking those sort of obvious and arkward questions that upset the 'bean counters'

EVERYONE knows you need a 2 seater in a strike/fighter aircraft, but it pushes up the operating cost paying for the ballast in the back.

ANdy

IIRC the F-35 has a pilot bascially because so much info comes in there is not enough bandwidth to use by remote.
A pilot who tested the simulator said that you mangage the plane, not fly it... interesting comment.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC the F-35 has a pilot bascially because so much info comes in there is not enough bandwidth to use by remote.
A pilot who tested the simulator said that you mangage the plane, not fly it... interesting comment.

So we could outsource pilots to lawyers, or some other expendable group that knows how to make a powerpoint presentation?

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So we could outsource pilots to lawyers, or some other expendable group that knows how to make a powerpoint presentation?

I have a bunch of manager here that I could donate!! As long as you can put them to good use!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC in all seriousness, it was said the plane literally flew itself, and even delpoyed countermeasures itself. The pilot said there was so much situational awareness info coming in that it was overwhelming.
I'm guessing that's a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is a picture of the new advanced data-display systems being used in the Strike Eagle:

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC in all seriousness, it was said the plane literally flew itself, and even delpoyed countermeasures itself. The pilot said there was so much situational awareness info coming in that it was overwhelming.
I'm guessing that's a good thing.

Helmet fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top