Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 3:30:44 PM EDT
I'm 26 and have never been called to Jury Duty. I really think it would be cool to do, and I get out of work. So, any tips on getting "forced" into it?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing you can do, its a completely random process. Some people never get called to do it, some people get called several times over their life. I was called this past summer, and I was bored for 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It will come young grasshopper.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#3]

If you want it, chances are you won't get to do it.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#4]
You should move to Cali, the local news has been talking about people getting a summons "once a year" here in SoCal. The damn lawyers are using us like slave labor.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Seriously! I'd love to be on a jury, I'm one of the guys who won't be trying to weasel out of it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Plan a vacation and commit money, works every time.  Some places will let you reschedule once for any reason, in that case plan two vacations.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Read up on Jury Nullification, and pray you're a juror on a gun case.

Oh, and don't tell any of the attorneys (or the judge ) that you know what Jury Nullification means, unless you're actually trying to get out of jury duty.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Living in NYC with 7 million people I got called 4X in 10 years.
I moved to Minnesota and my entire county has a population of maybe 125,000 and I've never been called, going on 11 years now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Last month i was called for the first time to Jury duty in Federal court in Arizona.  It was an absolutely awesome experience and i was in the end voted jury foreman.

I was on a jury for an individual that was sueing a very large power company in the US (the third largest in the nation) for discrimination and retaliation.  After 2 weeks of testimony it went to the jury and we only diliberated for 2 hours after rendering a verdict siding with the electric company and against the person sueing for 10 million dollars.  In the end justice was served and i was able to see the court in action.

NOTE:  since the case is over i am now free to discuss it however i see fit.

So all in all a cool experience; plus that i was given admin leave from my job and received full pay while being on the jury :)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#10]
My job will continue to pay my full salary while on jury duty. The ONE time I get called it's during summer break and I didn't get a dime.

With luck they'll call me again before the end of this school year so my students can suffer with a sub.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I get called about every 3-4 years.

Last one, about a year and a half ago was a 1st-degree murder trial.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I hate rejection.   Everytime I go to Jury Duty, they reject me.  I'd love to be picked and hide from the working world.   In the old days, they'd pay your lunch too.  (They're cheap today).  One time I wasn't picked and I guess reading a book with a big swastika (Hitler's U-Boats) didn't help.  Another time I knew the Dep. D.A.'s brother.    One time I got there too late (had lunch and had trouble parking at the time to report in) and got chewed out by the clerk and then excused for the week.  Wit phucked up peepul like me not performing our civic responsibility, little wonder criminals are going free.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I have  never been called and I don't expect to. I feel that people should be held accountable for their own actions, and for some reason I feel that my name has been removed from possible jury pools because of my views........but I would love a chance to participate in the system and help to represent a true jury of my community.....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I am currently serving on Federal district court petit jury.  6 month stint.  Been on it for a month and a half and have yet to receive a single jury notice.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Try committing a crime. You may not get to serve on the jury but at least you will have a better understanding how the whole process works. The larger the crime, the more time you will have to enjoy the whole process.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I start tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

and here lies the current problem with the jury system. i KNOW i will never get picked. the ones that normally do are complete clueless idiots, that frankly i don't want  deciding my fate.

That's the point.  The lawyers know they can't swerve people who aren't mindless.  Show the ability to think rationally and you're out of there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#20]

The one and only time I was ever picked for Jury duty , one of the clerks joked about
how we were welcome to volunteer to be in the pool anytime .  Maybe you CAN volunteer .
Give them a call and ask .
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I had it twice, the first time it was about a month. A nasty murder.
The second time was just one day, we basically, refereed a dispute between crack heads.

L.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I think in NY state you can volunteer every two years. I was hoping to get on a case over my winter vacation (college student) since I had no job. Jobless again, I wouldn't mind it on my spring break. 40 dollars a day to just listen to stuff, and then back to school after it's all done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top