Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 3:23:32 PM EDT
I took my teenage son to the range to break in his new birthday present – a Rem 700 in 30/06. He has a couple of friends that he has known for years. Real nice kids. Their mom, who is also a friend of ours, leans a little to the left of Hillary Clinton and absolutely HATES guns. Well, my son asked me if I would take his friends to the range with us. I told him that that is not a decision I could make. The boys would have to ask their mom, and if it was OK with her, I would be glad to have them come along.  

My son called their house, and the next you know, he said to me, “Mrs. XXXX would like to speak with you.” I’m thinking to myself, even though none of this was my idea, “Uh-oh. Here it comes. I’m about to get ripped a new one.” After a chilly greeting she said to me, “So, I hear you want to take my sons shooting. I don’t like this at all, you know.” We’ve known each other for quite a while, so my response was, “Not really shooting. We just need someone down range to hold the targets while we shoot at them.” Knowing full well this is the last thing in the world that I would ever have them do, this got her to laugh a little and helped loosen things up. She asked a ton of questions about what is involved, so I explained all of the safety rules at the range and that I would give the boys a safety lesson before they even touched a firearm. She was still apprehensive, but to her credit, she felt the boys were old enough to begin to make their own decisions, so she agreed to let them go.

We got the range in the afternoon. At 16 degrees F, it wasn’t the best day to be teaching someone how to shoot, but the boys were dressed warm and were very excited to begin. I explained all of the range rules and safety procedures once again (they were drilled and quizzed on the ride down). Once I was comfortable that they understood everything, I brought out their first firearm, a massive semi-automatic Barrett in .50 BMG. Just kidding. It was really a single shot bolt action .22 with iron sights that I learned to shoot with when I was a kid. I explained sight alignment, trigger control, etc. and set them up one at a time at the shooting bench on the 50-yard plinking range. We started out shooting at a paper targets so I could get a feel for how well they would do. To my surprise, one of the boys put almost 10 out of 10 shots into a 3” bullseye at 50 yds. His brother did almost as well. I guess all of those hours shooting at bad guys on the X-Box must pay off.

Once I felt comfortable that they would both handle a firearm safely, I brought out another bolt action .22, a couple of boxes of ammo, and let them go at it. I set up a bunch of clay birds on the berm and let them blast away. For two kids who were never allowed to be near any firearm before, they both did amazingly well. They were breaking clay birds left and right.  They ended up going through almost 200 rounds apiece and had a great time. I didn’t get to shoot much today since I was hanging back and watching the new guys, but seeing what a good time they had and their excitement at busting up the targets was just as much fun. They both thanked me and are looking forward to doing it again. Once of them even said, ”Shooting for real is MUCH more fun than video games.” Amen brother. Now, if I could just get their mom to the range.....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Good work.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Well done! If only we could read/hear about this kind of story more often, our days would be so much happier!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell, if she let you take them to the range, she can't be ALL bad.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats a heck of a great story. These days every time we get a chance to let youth make their own choices is better for the shooting sports in general.
My son is only 5 but Ive started him with the BB gun while Im at the range. A good lesson in that story for me, when he is old enough to have friends come with.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
<snip>
I didn’t get to shoot much today since I was hanging back and watching the new guys, but seeing what a good time they had and their excitement at busting up the targets was just as much fun.
<snip>

Sounds like that could be just as much fun as actual trigger time.

Can't wait for my 4 year old to get bigger
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Sometimes people are simply afraid of the unknown and not actually afraid of firearms.

If a moms only experience with firearms is what she reads in the paper or sees on tv or in their kids video games then of course she's gonna be anti-gun.

Good job getting the kids to the range and for getting the mom to trust you enough to do so!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Great deal.  Get that mom out to shoot a gun now.

Good work.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome... now bump them to a 44 mag one handed!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Great Job!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Good show.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Good work.

Actually, I tried to get her to come with us. Her response was a VERY adamant NO! I'll keep working on her, but I'll have to be very careful to not get pushy. Slow & gentle may give me the best chance with this one. It will definitely be a long term project.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool story, great job.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#15]
The look on a new shooters face when they put a round right where they want it for the first time is priceless.

Well done Mantis!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#16]
You've planted the seed.
Welcome another to the Dark Side.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Good work.

+1.87

Offer her the opportunity.  Let her see first hand the enjoyment that can be had.  Break some more ice man!  Tell her every citizen should be familiar with safe use of firearms.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Very nice work!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top