User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2006 9:43:09 AM EDT
What is the right way to do it?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The way I was taught was use your left hand either from below or the top of the slide (never covering the muzzle) to move the slide back, and have your trigger finger pull back on the ejection port, then feel in the port to see if there's a cartrige.   Works in low/no light, etc.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Ya could have posted this in one of the pistol forums, which would have helped determine "which" semi-auto you were asking about......

There are differing methods for different semis...., 1911, Glocks, S&W xx06 models, Beretta 92Fs......

My Kimber 1911 has a full length guide rod w/ front serrations, which I use for "press-checking" it, rather than the older, thumb through trigger index finger on the recoil spring plug method, so be specific.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#3]
However you feel comfortable doing it so you don't cap yo'self.

Seriously, I hold the weapon in my right (gun) hand,
and, reach over with my left,
overhand grip on the slide.

I then pull back and, cant the weapon slightly to the
left to observe if I'm in battery, and, if so, I ride the slide back down.

YMMV, though, as the proceedure is slightly different with a glock and, Beretta.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#4]
On most of my pistols, I use my left hand over the slide and in front of the ejection port to push back.

On my 1911 with forward serrations, I approach from below with my left hand while maintaining a straight trigger finger and shooting grip. Knock safety down, press back slightly. Left hand NEVER goes in front of the muzzle.

I have seen some hook the thumb in the trigger guard and index finger on the front of the slide and squeeze the hand to move the slide back, but I'm saying right here and right now that that's a damn bad idea.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I just look down the barrel
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#6]

I have seen some hook the thumb in the trigger guard and index finger on the front of the slide and squeeze the hand to move the slide back, but I'm saying right here and right now that that's a damn bad idea.

GEEZ, that IS a bad idea.   Lose control of the forefinger and the gun's hanging there by your thumb with it IN the trigger guard!??!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Several ways -

1. Maintain a firm grip with your dominant hand. With your nondominant hand, grab the rear serrations with your three smaller fingers on one side, and the pad of your hand on the other. Slowly pull rearward on the slide just enough to inspect for a cartridge.

2. (for guns with slide-mounted safeties) maintain a firm grip with your dominant hand. With the middle and index fingers on your nondominant hand, make a peace sign, and place the pad of each finger on the slide-mounted safety. Curl the rest of your hand around the rear of the slide, and use your fingers to pull the slide back enough to inspect for a cartridge.

3. With your dominant hand in a shooting grip, pivot the pistol on your thumbsuch that your remaining fingers are now on the top of the slide. Use the four fingers to pull back on the slide slightly to inspect for a cartridge. This method has become the Robert DeNero In The Elevator In The Movie "Heat" Method.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I found a neat way to do a one handed press-check.   I think it was in the Matrix: Revolutions.  When Neo, Trinity and Seraph get into the elevator in the club to see the Merovingian, Seraph pulls two pistols, then flips his hands over the top of the slide, with the grip spur still on the web of his hands, then is able to move the slides back a bit to check the chambers.  Works well one handed.  

I'll see if I can take some pics of the technique tonight when I get home.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I found a neat way to do a one handed press-check.   I think it was in the Matrix: Revolutions.  When Neo, Trinity and Seraph get into the elevator in the club to see the Merovingian, Seraph pulls two pistols, then flips his hands over the top of the slide, with the grip spur still on the web of his hands, then is able to move the slides back a bit to check the chambers.  Works well one handed.  

I'll see if I can take some pics of the technique tonight when I get home.  

See also: The Way of th Gun.

I perform a press check just like I chamber a round, and use my trigger finger to touch the case. I also hold it close enough to my body that I cannot accidentally pull the slide far enough back to pull the case from the chamber and jam the slide.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Why would you ever be in a situation where you don't know if you have a round in the chamber??
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#11]
pull the trigger. if it goes off, it was loaded.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#12]
buy an XD and dont worry about this foolishness!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I hold the weapon with my right hand and grasp the slide from the back with my left with the weapon pointed up and away from me at about 45 degree angle.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Just 'zactly like Pacino...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Not everybody will like this.....

I know there is a round in the chamber, I loaded it.  If I did not trust my gun to absolutely work 100% of the time I wouldn't be carrying the damn thing.  Press checking is a waste of time.  If it is loaded it is loaded.  

Seems to me, if you think it might not have chambered a round when you loaded it, you need a more reliable gun.

Good way to cap yourself in the hand too.

Some of you will continue press checking your weapons, cool by me.  watch your muzzles.

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Not everybody will like this.....

I know there is a round in the chamber, I loaded it.  If I did not trust my gun to absolutely work 100% of the time I wouldn't be carrying the damn thing.  Press checking is a waste of time.  If it is loaded it is loaded.  

Seems to me, if you think it might not have chambered a round when you loaded it, you need a more reliable gun.

Good way to cap yourself in the hand too.

Some of you will continue press checking your weapons, cool by me.  watch your muzzles.

YMMV

What?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Here it is, the Matrix style press check.

Start at the ready:

Flip your fingers up around the top of the slide, leaving your thumb hooked around the grip spur:

A very easy way to press check one-handed.  I've done it on my CZ with a 16lb spring, and a 1911 with a 20lb spring, and it works ok.  Fingers do tend to get in the way, but it's still a good way to do it with one hand if you have to.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Insert magazine.

Retract slide and release.

If you doubt you did it right...

Remove magazine to see if it has one less round then before.

Option to add one more round to magazine to bring magazine to mazimum capacity.

Insert magazine.

Firmly press magazine into pistol until you hear the magazine catch "click".

If you doubt it seated, pull down on magazine to see if it comes out because it failed to seat.

Have confidence in yourself and your equipment and fight the urge to do a cool "I saw it done on TV or in a movie" press check.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Start at the ready:

www.frayadjacent.com/pics/Firearms/matrixpresscheck1.jpg

Flip your fingers up around the top of the slide, leaving your thumb hooked around the grip spur:

www.frayadjacent.com/pics/Firearms/matrixpresscheck2.jpg

www.frayadjacent.com/pics/Firearms/matrixpresscheck3.jpg

A very easy way to press check one-handed.  I've done it on my CZ with a 16lb spring, and a 1911 with a 20lb spring, and it works ok.  Fingers do tend to get in the way, but it's still a good way to do it with one hand if you have to.  

Very easy to do with Beretta/Taurus 92s and Hi-Powers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why would you ever be in a situation where you don't know if you have a round in the chamber??

I am in the habit of checking my guns before I carry them, no matter what. In the morning, I take my carry gun out of the holster and put it on my bedstand, and in the evening, when I put my holster back on, before the gun goes in the holster, I check it. I'm quite sure nobody has fucked with it, but it's a habit, and (IMHO) not a bad one.

No matter what, before I carry a gun, I check it to make sure.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#21]
My carry pistol is ALWAYS loaded, and ready. No need to check to see if one is in the chamber.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Start at the ready:

That's more or less the same technique used to field strip a Glock.

ETA: With the exception that the chamber should be empty! Just thought I should add that
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#23]
good read.  thanks for the info

+1 on the buying the XD part too
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#24]
The proper way?

Here it is:  www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu1.htm

You're welcome.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
pull the trigger. if it goes off, it was loaded.

+1
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

As soon as you load a fresh mag in, to guarantee a round loaded in. After that usually not necessary.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The proper way?

You're welcome.

I dunno O_P....

I think you should send me your Springfield for some, umm, long-term evaluation of your technique.

ETA:spelling
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The proper way?

You're welcome.

I dunno O_P....

I think you should send me your Springfield for some, umm, long-term evaluation of your technique.

ETA:spelling

Sure!

I'll just pack it right up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The proper way?

You're welcome.

Awesome!  Thanks OP! What doesn't the box-o-truth site know?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My carry pistol is ALWAYS loaded, and ready. No need to check to see if one is in the chamber.

This troll hasn't been banned yet?

There ARE times, which is why the technique is taught at gunfighting schools like Thunder Ranch. But you probably thin kyou know more than all those guys put together.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Start at the ready:

Nice hands.  What is her name??  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There ARE times, which is why the technique is taught at gunfighting schools like Thunder Ranch. But you probably thin kyou know more than all those guys put together.

Forgive me, for I do not know, but would like to learn.
What times are those, that would nessecitate a press check.
I don't think I'm quite "getting" it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forgive me, for I do not know, but would like to learn.
What times are those, that would nessecitate a press check.
I don't think I'm quite "getting" it.

The most comon is after a reload. In the combat pistol course that I took, they taught us to rack the slide after a reload. Thus ensuring that a round was chambered but at the expense of ejecting a live round onto the ground. Other schools teach a press check.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am in the habit of checking my guns before I carry them, no matter what. In the morning, I take my carry gun out of the holster and put it on my bedstand, and in the evening, when I put my holster back on, before the gun goes in the holster, I check it. I'm quite sure nobody has fucked with it, but it's a habit, and (IMHO) not a bad one.

No matter what, before I carry a gun, I check it to make sure.

They why wouldn't you use the old Mk 1 eyeball?  Pull the slide back 1/4" and look?  Or if I am checking before going into storage or handing off to somebody, drop the mag, cycle the slide and look in there?

Am I missing something here or are there guys using guns that might not feed the first round every time? and especially using them in situations where it might klill them to have an empty chamber?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#35]
The way Neil does it in Heat is how I do my Sigs, any other way is uncomfortable. I don't do it often though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

They why wouldn't you use the old Mk 1 eyeball?  Pull the slide back 1/4" and look?

What if you are in a firefight and it is too dark to see?

What if you are in a firefight and the bad guys are trying to kill you and you don't want to take your eyes off their location in case they re-aquire?

There are times when you need to be assured that you have a loaded chamber, but don't have light or freedom to look.

If you are at home and under no pressure, then just do it any old way.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They why wouldn't you use the old Mk 1 eyeball?  Pull the slide back 1/4" and look?

What if you are in a firefight and it is too dark to see?

What if you are in a firefight and the bad guys are trying to kill you and you don't want to take your eyes off their location in case they re-aquire?

There are times when you need to be assured that you have a loaded chamber, but don't have light or freedom to look.

If you are at home and under no pressure, then just do it any old way.

My pistols all chamber a round in the dark just as well as they do in the light.

I rarely press check. I loaded my weapon, therefore I have confidence there is one in the chamber. Since it is always in my control, I don't feel compelled to second guess myself.

If a gremlin gained posession of my iron in the middle of the night and put an empty case in the chamber, a press check isn't going to do any good. If I really want to know, I rack it out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

My pistols all chamber a round in the dark just as well as they do in the light.

I rarely press check. I loaded my weapon, therefore I have confidence there is one in the chamber. Since it is always in my control, I don't feel compelled to second guess myself.

If a gremlin gained posession of my iron in the middle of the night and put an empty case in the chamber, a press check isn't going to do any good. If I really want to know, I rack it out.

+100

Most of this crap is invented by gun "schools" just to have somthing to teach.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+100

Clint Smith has all of 2006 booked solid and most of 2007.

His classes cost around $2,400.  He stays booked up.  His training is worth every penny.

How many people are willing to pay you and HABU to teach them what you know?

No one?

Just as I thought.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I am a firearms instructor and teach the press check.  If you want to see how important it is, run a few qualification courses under stressful conditions and see how many loud clicks you hear from people that knew/thought their pistol was in Condition 1.  The oh shit look on their face is pretty funny.  Seen police/military/civilians all do it.  Kind of reinforces the need for a press check to those that just lost those points on the course.  Just think how bad things could be with no round in the chamber if you're really in a stressful situation like getting shot at.  I teach the under the slide pinch while the trigger finger pulls on the ejection port.  Fast, don't lose firing hand grip, and works in light/dark conditions, no need to look at gun.   Funny things happen under extreme stress and what you think is so, may not be, especially if that stress is compounded by other factors such as fatigue.  Pistols/magazines are mechanical and therefore subject to break and fail.  None are 100% reliable as far as I am concerned.  So I will eliminate as many variables as I can.  Doing a press check eliminates one of those variables.  Most Ranger school grads will probably remember being taught to do a press check prior to crossing and LD, exiting a PB or ORP during final checks of men, weapons and equipment, theres a reason its taught.  If your that good/sure of yourself you don't think its necessary, knock yourself out, but I'll continue to do my press checks.

Press checks:  Free.
The look on someone’s face that failed to do one and has an empty chamber:  Priceless

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+100

Clint Smith has all of 2006 booked solid and most of 2007.

His classes cost around $2,400.  He stays booked up.  His training is worth every penny.

How many people are willing to pay you and HABU to teach them what you know?

No one?

Just as I thought.

Wow Old, you defend it like you invented it. If it works for you, great. I guess I'm just a moron for not being a press check subscriber. Carry quality and know what condition it's in, and it will all be good. When I get so old I forget what condition I put my stuff in, perhaps I'll reevaluate.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Nice hands.  What is her name??  

ha ha.

Those are my hands.  The flash washes out all the nice scars and scrapes on my knuckles and such.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Also to add some people own pistols that don't have the lock back design after the last shot(don't laugh some people have such pistols)!  And that would be an excellent time to know this drill!

Good work op!!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#44]
on a beretta 92/96 this is unnecessary.  the extractor protrudes when there is a round in the chamber, and is flush with the slide when there is not.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I like the Front Sight way; gun in strong hand, weak hand comes up underneath just forward of the trigger guard, fingers (weak hand) reach upon both sides of slide and pull back just enough to see chamber (+/-1/4"). This works really well with a Glock. As far as the low light/no light check goes, I haven't mastered that one yet. Any advice?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:31:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I like the Front Sight way; gun in strong hand, weak hand comes up underneath just forward of the trigger guard, fingers (weak hand) reach upon both sides of slide and pull back just enough to see chamber (+/-1/4"). This works really well with a Glock. As far as the low light/no light check goes, I haven't mastered that one yet. Any advice?

You can do that one easily. Use your bottom 3 fingers in front of the ejection port to pull back and your index finder to slide in and feel for the round. Just don't get your finger caught.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:53:35 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I am a firearms instructor and teach the press check.  If you want to see how important it is, run a few qualification courses under stressful conditions and see how many loud clicks you hear from people that knew/thought their pistol was in Condition 1.  The oh shit look on their face is pretty funny.  Seen police/military/civilians all do it.  Kind of reinforces the need for a press check to those that just lost those points on the course. Just think how bad things could be with no round in the chamber if you're really in a stressful situation like getting shot at.  I teach the under the slide pinch while the trigger finger pulls on the ejection port.  Fast, don't lose firing hand grip, and works in light/dark conditions, no need to look at gun.   Funny things happen under extreme stress and what you think is so, may not be, especially if that stress is compounded by other factors such as fatigue.  Pistols/magazines are mechanical and therefore subject to break and fail.  None are 100% reliable as far as I am concerned.  So I will eliminate as many variables as I can.  Doing a press check eliminates one of those variables.  Most Ranger school grads will probably remember being taught to do a press check prior to crossing and LD, exiting a PB or ORP during final checks of men, weapons and equipment, theres a reason its taught.  If your that good/sure of yourself you don't think its necessary, knock yourself out, but I'll continue to do my press checks.

Press checks:  Free.
The look on someone’s face that failed to do one and has an empty chamber Pissing away your money on useless training:  Priceless

You put your left finger in
You take your left finger out
And you shake it all about
You do the hokie pokie
And you turn yourself around.
That’s what it’s all about?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#48]

You do the hokie pokie

That about says it all, no need to respond further to such a well thought out articulate response from someone of your experience and maturity level who is obviously smarter and more experienced than the majority of firearms instructors across the country that teach so many useless techniques that are really gimmicks such as trigger reset, front sight focus, sight alignment, grip, etc., etc., etc.  You da man.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:17:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Theres a crack betwen my barrel hood and slide on my pistol. I always check it prior to holstering. If i see the gold color of a casing im good to go. Sorry if thats not tactical enough...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Pissing away your money on useless training:  Priceless

You do the hokie pokie

Not to hijack this thread, but this is a great example of something that I find depressing about this forum.

Someone asks a firearms related question and some folks that are well-trained and knowledgeble, take the time to respond.  This is done with the desire to "help" folks that want help.

Then, as has happened on this thread, some guys come on who have no training, who don't really know what they are talking about, and piss on whatever good advice has been given.

After a while, those that actually know what they are talking about just say, "Why bother.  It just isn't worth the effort."  Then they quit posting.

After a while, all you have posting are people that don't know squat about the subject, but have plenty of "opinions" about everything.

I have seen a lot of very knowledgeble and experienced people quit posting because of this.  It is a shame.

There used to be a lot of good stuff to learn here.  It is getting to be less and less.

What a shame.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top