Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 8:57:53 AM EDT
Been going on since last night. I hope they find the fuckers responsible for this and give 'em the needle.

New Hartford officer shot and killed; Manhunt in progress (updated 8:25 a.m.)
Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006

Staff Reports
Observer-Dispatch

KIRKLAND — Authorities said this morning a New Hartford police officer was shot and killed Monday night while pursuing a suspect in the robbery of a New Hartford jewelry store.

Police said Joseph Corr, 30, a six-year department veteran, was shot while pursuing a suspect who fled on foot after a car chase ended with the suspect’s vehicle crashing into a gas pump at the Byrne Dairy of Route 5.

The car chase followed the reported robbery of the Lennon’s-W.B. Wilcox jewelry store on Commercial Drive in New Hartford Monday evening.

Police said that suspect remains at large and may have carjacked a Kirkland Automotive tow truck. Police transmissions this morning indicated that the tow truck may be in Pennsylvania — the car involved in Monday night’s chase also had a Pennsylvania license plate.

“It’s difficult for anyone in law enforcement and we’re all very shaken, but we’re all professionals and we have a job to do,” New Hartford Lt. Timothy O’Neill said of the shooting. “We’re going to find (the suspect) and bring him to the justice system to face the consequences of what he’s done.”

Corr was recognized in 2003 and 2004 as an outstanding DWI enforcement officer by the Oneida County Department of Public Safety, according to the New Hartford Police Department’s Web site. In May 2004, he was the recipient of a Traffic Safety Award from the county agency.

Corr is survived by a wife and infant child, police said.

A total of four people may have been involved in the robbery, according to police radio transmissions.

At St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Utica late Monday, a somber group gathered in a hallway just inside the emergency room, including a New Hartford police officer. At one point, a woman in a leather coat approached the police officer and gave him a hug.

The chase and manhunt provoked fear and confusion in neighborhoods in or around Kirkland, Clark Mills, Whitestown and Westmoreland.

Irene Donley and her husband John Donley said they locked their doors to their home on Stop Seven Road in Westmoreland and let their German shepherd out in the backyard.

"We're probably not going to sleep until they catch these people," Irene Donley said. "We have a lot of fields around here, and people can hide anywhere."

Police radio reports about 8:25 p.m. Monday stated that people in the store had been restrained, and that suspects had fled down Route 5 into neighboring Kirkland. The police bulletin stated the suspects fled the jewelry storewith loose diamonds.

The suspects fled on foot in Kirkland, New Hartford Police Sgt. Michael Inserra said. Throughout the evening, police studied a blue Buick sedan with a Pennsylvania license plate that crashed into the gasoline pumps at Byrne Dairy about 8:30 p.m.

Law-enforcement officers set up a command center at the Byrne Dairy. Shortly after 9 p.m., police appeared to be concentrating their search for another suspect around Kirkland Automotive at 7700 Route 5.

A state police helicopter was assisting local law enforcement, but the weather forced it to land.

“Obviously, the elements are working against us because it’s dark out and it’s snowing, but it’s also working against the suspect,” O'Neill said.

One thought was the suspect would attempt to find shelter, O'Neill said.

Shortly after midnight, several police cars went to Willow Tree Circle near Clark Mills following a report of a shot fired. No details could be learned.

At the jewelry store, police were seen interviewing employees. About 10 p.m., police started putting crime tape around the jewelry store and the adjacent Red Lobster restaurant, preventing employees there from going home.

No one at the jewelry store was hurt, Inserra said.

The incidents drew officers from a multitude of area agencies who helped seal off crime scenes and staged several roadblocks. At one point, up to 20 police cruisers surrounded the Byrne Dairy.

Oneida County District Attorney Michael Arcuri and his assistants were at the convenience store. Arcuri declined to comment and later left.

Early today, about eight people were gathered inside the Owl's Inn in Clark Mills, just up Clinton Street from the Byrne Dairy. Bartender Debbie Fleming said as soon she found out about the robbery and manhunt, she took precautions.

"I shut the lights off right away and locked the doors," she said. "If I saw it was someone I knew, I let them in."

Fleming and the customers were worried about their loved ones at home, she said. A woman at the bar who lives alone wanted to go home. People at the bar took her home and went through her home to make sure it was OK, Fleming said.

Throughout the small community, residents listened to their police scanners as they followed the developments.

Shawn Smith came to the bar after working at a convenience store not far away. He said police later came and asked that the store shut down and for workers to go home.

Contributing: Allissa Kline, Cassaundra Baber, Renee Gamela, Jessica Ryen, Shawn Anderson, Elizabeth Cooper, Nicole Hawley.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:04:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Found on page 13 with not a single response.  "Ticket" threads posted later are into multiple pages by now.  Typical.   Roboman, thanks for posting.

RIP.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:22:02 AM EDT
[#2]
RIP Officer Corr.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:37:14 AM EDT
[#3]

New Hartford officer shot and killed; Manhunt in progress (updated 8:25 a.m.)
Police said Joseph Corr, 30, a six-year department veteran, was shot while pursuing a suspect who fled on foot after a car chase ended with the suspect’s vehicle crashing into a gas pump at the Byrne Dairy of Route 5.

The car chase followed the reported robbery of the Lennon’s-W.B. Wilcox jewelry store on Commercial Drive in New Hartford Monday evening.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:40:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
RIP Officer Corr.

Indeed

I hope they find the fuckers responsible for this and give 'em the needle shoot them on the spot!!

Better yet
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:10:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, I'm someone will bring up the "highway tax" or something here. Or worse yet, "He knew what he was getting into before he took the job."  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:13:29 AM EDT
[#6]
RIP

I hope they catch this fucker and tase the shit out of him while letting one of the K9's have his testes for lunch.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:19:33 AM EDT
[#7]
RIP Brother.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Found on page 13 with not a single response.  "Ticket" threads posted later are into multiple pages by now.  Typical.   Roboman, thanks for posting.

RIP.

Sad, isn't it?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Prayer sent for Officer Corr and his family.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Update! The shitbag who killed Officer Corr died in a shootout with authorities in Philadelphia.

Wednesday, Mar 1, 2006

The man police believe shot and killed New Hartford Police Officer Joseph Corr died in a shootout with local police and federal agents in a Philadelphia suburb late Tuesday, police said.

Walter R. Richardson, 36, of Upper Darby, Pa., barricaded himself inside a rowhouse in Chester, Pa., and began shooting at officers who had surrounded the home before being killed, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported early today. The confrontation occurred about 10:30 p.m. on the 800 block of McDonald Street in Chester as officers from the U.S. Marshals Office, Pennsylvania state police, Chester Police and Delaware County converged on the house.

Richardson had been the subject of a two-state manhunt following Corr's slaying behind the Byrne Dairy in Kirkland Monday evening. Earlier Tuesday, Upper Darby, Pa., police raided Richardson's home and said they might have just missed him, finding television sets on and his coat in the house.

Richardson might have been part of a group that federal investigators think was responsible for several Philadelphia-area jewelry heists, the Inquirer reported. Corr's death followed a robbery Monday night at Lennon's-W.B. Wilcox jewelers in New Hartford.
Corr worked as a New Hartford police officer for six years and leaves behind a wife, infant daughter and grieving colleagues. Law-enforcement officials from throughout the state are expected to attend funeral services at 12:30 p.m. Friday at St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church in New Hartford.

"It's my worst nightmare. It was the worst night of my life," said New Hartford Police Chief Raymond Philo, fighting back tears in an interview Tuesday night. "But it's not about me. These officers, they can't see me falter."

In Tuesday night's shootout in Chester, a U.S. Marshals agent was injured but not seriously because he was wearing a bullet-resistant vest. Richardson was identified as the dead man by officers and by people at the scene, the Inquirer reported.

Tisa Smith, 26, of Chester said she was a close family friend of Richardson. She drove to the Chester shooting scene after she heard from the suspect's family about the fatal confrontation.

"He's a good person," Smith said. "He's a great person. He was loved by a lot of people. I don't know him going out like this. He would do anything for you."

Dozens of local, state and federal law-enforcement officials continued to surround the house early today as neighbors stood on the sidewalk and watched.

A second man, John T. Healy, 46, of the Bronx, is in Oneida County jail on a second-degree murder charge in connection with Corr's slaying. He was arrested Monday night in a foot chase after a vehicle pursuit from the jewelry store robbery.

Corr was among several New Hartford and Kirkland police officers engaged in a foot pursuit of the robbery suspects. The suspects ditched their vehicle after crashing it into the Byrne Dairy convenience store's gasoline pumps.

Officials believe that after Corr was shot, Richardson carjacked a tow truck in Kirkland, taking the driver hostage. He allegedly abandoned both the truck and driver after he reached the Chester exit of I-95, KYW-TV in Philadelphia reported.

"The guy's a dangerous guy, he's on the run, so he's capable of doing anything. He's like a cornered rat," Chief Michael Chitwood of the Upper Darby Police told KYW before the Chester shootout occurred.

Chitwood said that Richardson might have fled the home at 7062 Ruskin Lane in Upper Darby shortly before S.W.A.T. teams raided the Upper Darby residence.

"Two TVs were on upstairs, there was a man's coat that probably belonged to the suspect," he said.

Chitwood said he believes Richardson became spooked when his girlfriend never showed up. She had been picked up by Havertown, Pa., police earlier in the day.

Local, state and federal police agencies had been working around the clock since Corr was shot to death Monday night.

Dozens of officers spent the frigid night after the killing seeking clues across central Oneida County. By daylight Tuesday, the focus had shifted to Pennsylvania.

At a packed news conference at midafternoonTuesday, New Hartford police announced their chief suspect in the shooting was Richardson. How Richardson and Healy came to be in New Hartford was not made clear.

Hundreds of law-enforcement personnel ranging from state parks officers to the FBI joined in the search for Richardson -- the focus of one of the highest- profile investigations locally since the abduction of 12-year-old Sara Anne Wood 13 years ago.

Authorities offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to the capture and conviction of Richardson and any other individuals responsible for Corr's death.

In an interesting connection, the Chief of the town this lowlife was killed in, Michael Chitwood, was the former police chief for Portland, Maine, one of my hometowns. He moved down to PA a few months back.

Glad to see this piece of shit was killed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#11]
RIP

I hope whoever shot him died a slow and painful death
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
RIP

I hope whoever shot him died a slow and painful death

He was shot and killed earlier today. Hopefully it was a nice gutshot that took about 20 minutes to bleed out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Burn in hell you piece of fucking shit!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#14]

"He's a good  dead person," Smith said.

Sorry honey, good people seldom rob stores and shoot cops...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#15]

"He's a good person," Smith said. "He's a great person. He was loved by a lot of people. I don't know him going out like this. He would do anything for you."

I am sick and fucking tired of hearing this bullshit.  No one wants to belive that their relative/friend was a fucking shitbag who deserved to die and will rot in hell.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh, goody. A little bleach in the gene pool, and without court costs.

Too bad an officer paid the price.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw this on the morning news here in pa.   From the copter film of the house the bad guy had his ticket punched by a few officers,   The front yard looked like they were growing the yellow number signs.   The news stated that he came out shooting and a number of officers returned fire
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:07:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Glad it ended this way.

It is a crying shame that those around this shit-bag didn't let on to what he was up to before Officer Corr was killed in the line of duty.

Hopefully we are building a case for his accomplices
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top