Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 8:45:56 AM EDT
First off, I've had weapons and ammo sence I've known my wife, about 7 years. Shes never givin a damn about shooting, just tolerated me and my little cache.  I've ordered probably 5k sence we've been married, about 5 years. I've bought probably 4K of ammo in the past month. Yesterday I took delivery of another 1K of LC 308s from ammoman. She stated that I was starting to scare her. She can't understand why I'm need so much. I told her the whole, "guns useless without it" and "don't you watch the news", but she's not buying that shit anymore. I really don't have a reason to give except it just makes me feel better. She thinks my house is just going to blow up. She told me I should find another place to store it. Wow! Of coarse I run this show and thats not going to happen. The question I have is for the guys whos wives don't care for guns and shooting, what do you guys tell your wives when they start acting stupid about your ammo or gun purchases? And for the guys who wives enjoy the shooting sports and understand.......lucky bastards
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Just send it to me, I'll take care of it for you.....muaha.....muahaha..........MUAHAHAHAH!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#2]
spend $10 and get the saami video on 'sporting ammunition and the firefighter' so you can explain to her what happens in case of a fire.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Show her vidoes of what happend to NO after Katrina. Over and over again. Till she get's it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just tell her it was " on sale " and you wanted to get it now at the reduced price.  All women understand the term " On sale " and it will be accepted without a second thought.  BTW, if you actually think you run the show, you are dillusional and should consult a psychiatric practitioner.

Thats a good idea, never thought of throughing in the word "sale", she understands this concept. I do run the show, she only has half the money and all the poon.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Tell her you think she's right....then buy a complete reloading setup because it will 'save money' and allow you to reuse the brass from the rounds you already bought - so they don't just go to waste!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#7]
But what about teh zombies!?
Or the aliens!?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#8]
but......she's only got two feet. why 20 pairs of shoes?

it's starting to scare me. Maybe the fumes from all them stinky shoes will cause the house to explode. Maybe you should suggest she store her shoes elsewhere.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Something to keep in mind is that many fire departments won't put your house out if it catches on fire if you've got ammo that isn't in a fireproof safe or container.

In any case, maybe try the "cause I may not be albe to get it later" reason? It's true.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Tell her to just deal with it, it's not her choice it's yours.   Tell her if it makes her feel better she can order some ammo too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#11]
my wife was captain of the Naval ROTC Pistol Team in college...

im a lucky man.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just tell her it was " on sale " and you wanted to get it now at the reduced price.  All women understand the term " On sale " and it will be accepted without a second thought.  BTW, if you actually think you run the show, you are dillusional and should consult a psychiatric practitioner.

The word "sale" is ok, but I have found the word "clearance" will make her want to buy something on that rack whether she needs it or not.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#14]
The "on sale" thing works for a lot of women. If that doesn't work, ask her what the problem is. Act like it's perfectly normal and every other gun owner in the country does it.

Mine's great.
Me:  "Honey, I just bought another case of ammo this morning."
Her: "Just please try to be here when the UPS guy shows up, I hurt my back carrying your ammo in the house last time."
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow, sorry bro. I don't know what to tell you. My wife is the total opposite from yours. She shoots, has her own AR, a mini-14, a 1911. She's an ammo stockpiler with SHTF concerns. She also stockpiles dried goods. In her mind, you can never have TOO much ammo. On just one shooting day, she will go through one case of 5.56 on her own and I can't evenb count how much .45 she shoots up on that same day. Of course, she hates "girlie girls" that are too wimpy to shoot.

You may want to expose her to women that do shoot and see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Something to keep in mind is that many fire departments won't put your house out if it catches on fire if you've got ammo that isn't in a fireproof safe or container.

Proof? I've heard this myth repeated many times, but have yet ot hear of a case of this actually happening.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Proof? I've heard this myth repeated many times, but have yet ot hear of a case of this actually happening.

I've heard if its keep in a safe it has a better chance of exploding due to the preasure.  Don't know for sure. Sounds like an idead for another topic.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#18]
It's better to be prepared & not need it, than to need it & not be prepared.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#19]
give in here and you will always give in...
tell her if she is scared she can leave...

or simply ask her how scared she would be if a rapist broke through the house and all she had to defend herself with was a frikin wooden cooking spoon...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If they don't get it, it's a lost cause. Buy it anyway and say "tough shit". The misus has given up on me. I tell her it's my hobby and don't try to change it.

Best advice yet. I'll tell her if she don't STFU when the SHTF she'll have to carry all of it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If they don't get it, it's a lost cause. Buy it anyway and say "tough shit". The misus has given up on me. I tell her it's my hobby and don't try to change it.

That pretty much describes my situation with my wife.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Last time my wife bitched about ammo was when I ordered a case of 7.5x55mm for my K-31 that she bought me for xmas. When I simply pointed out that I can't shoot the rifle you bought me without ammo she shut up.
Then she went off about my ordering parts for rifles. Again, I told her that this was because I got an award at work and the household money was not affected at all. (had to give my last 1k award to my daughter so I got squat from that one)

Simply point out the logic of the situation and make sure the larder is full and she has candles for her bath. You should be good to go.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#24]
First off my wife understands but Im not lucky. While you were happy being tolerated you should have been educating the wife on the big world around her. The hurricane was a perfect example. I got the wife on board for more purchases by pointing out we will be on our own and will need to help her family too.
Years ago when I purchase a generator she PooPooed it until we needed it. Now I remind her how nice it is.

With Ammo its cheaper to buy it by the thousands. I show her the cost savings and she's Ok. She asked if its safe were it is? Does she want it safer I can do that too ? She said yes and that led to a Safe purchase.

Long guns and pistols, I  compete and collect them.  What else should I buy ?

If its the money issue thats a whole nother ball of wax.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a somewhat similar situation but not as bad as yours.  My wife gives me grief for buying guns saying im "living in fear".  Have explained to her over and over that this all comes from back in the day being in the Boy Scouts and "Being Prepared"  its a philosophy I have lived my entire life.  It makes me feel a lot better knowing im about 98% better prepared then anybody else for what ever kind of disaster may befall us.  I hope nothing ever does happen but if it does and I had done nothing it could mean our deaths.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Wow, sorry bro. I don't know what to tell you. My wife is the total opposite from yours. She shoots, has her own AR, a mini-14, a 1911. She's an ammo stockpiler with SHTF concerns. She also stockpiles dried goods. In her mind, you can never have TOO much ammo. On just one shooting day, she will go through one case of 5.56 on her own and I can't evenb count how much .45 she shoots up on that same day. Of course, she hates "girlie girls" that are too wimpy to shoot.

You may want to expose her to women that do shoot and see what happens.

She got a sister and if she does can the sister wait for me to kick my wife out and the divorce to clear?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top