Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/28/2006 6:13:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#1]
That was awesome!  The speed limit on Atlanta's Interstates is a total joke.  EVERYONE drives at least 70 mph on I-285, but the speed limit is a rediculously low 55.  Anyone driving 55 on I-285 is probably having car trouble, or they will soon when they get run over.  The road can easily handle everyone driving 75.  Know how I know that?  Because it does it every day!

The speed limit needs to be 70 on I-285 and 65 on I-85, I-75, and I-20 inside the perimeter -- and that's at a minimum.  It should be 80 in rural areas.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats definately on my top 3 worst places to drive. It's not too bad between 3-4AM.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:23:48 AM EDT
[#3]
 That's just to funny.

I would love for that to happen around the Washington DC beltway.

ETA: the girls are hot
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#4]
You know, I'm surprised the cops didn't try to pull them over and ticket them for 'impeding the flow of traffic' or some such crap because they were just obeying the law.  Of course, if they had, it would have been a PR disaster.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow.

I've seen people get shot at in traffic for that in Atlanta.

They should have tried that through downtown. There is nothing like driving bumper to bumper at 90mph.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#6]
You mean that 90 ISN'T the speed limit on 285????

shit

ooooops
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They should have tried that through downtown. There is nothing like driving bumper to bumper at 90mph.

Makes you feel like you're one notch down from the Blue Angels, doesn't it?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#9]
In my experience, speed limits tend to be arbitrarily set to generate tickets. For example, one of the highways out of town recently underwent a $10,000,000 revamp that took 5 years. They widened and improved the road, and then lowered the speed limit. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:30:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Speed limits are there so the cops know who to pull over. Anyone driving that slow is either a fugitive, a drug runner, or an escapee from a nursing home.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:33:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Wow.

I've seen people get shot at in traffic for that in Atlanta.

People get shot for a lot less than that
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always felt more like a kamikaze pilot. I do enjoy the rush you get from leaving an onramp doing 85, knowing that you are going to get into traffic safely or die.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:36:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not a calm person so that would probably be a very bad idea to do it around me. And I'm not too worried about the paint on my truck anyways.

They are lucky that they didn't get hurt doing that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#14]
That's funny.  Malicious compliance is a great way to show how stupid the law is.  The fact that they could be cited for impeding the flow of traffic just goes to support the idea that the speed limit is a revenue source, nothing more.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#15]
tagged
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm not a calm person so that would probably be a very bad idea to do it around me. And I'm not too worried about the paint on my truck anyways.

Right, crash into them, cause an accident and have it all on tape.
Hell, thats pure genius.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#17]
The ONLY way speed limits could work is if everyone was in 100% compliance with the posted speed.  You can not have 1% or 2% who are going faster or slower than the others.  If you do, it will not work.

Everyone must get on the highway and do exactly the speed limit.  Otherwise you will have jams just like the one shown.

Apparently, researchers have shown that when a highway is operating at something like 50% of the capacity, a tap on the brakes can cause a slow ripple that drops speeds down to 35mph up to 5 miles away.

One person or a couple people tap their brakes and 5 miles away it causes those drivers to slow to 35mph.

It's insane how dynamic automobile traffic is....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:58:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The ONLY way speed limits could work is if everyone was in 100% compliance with the posted speed.  You can not have 1% or 2% who are going faster or slower than the others.  If you do, it will not work.

Everyone must get on the highway and do exactly the speed limit.  Otherwise you will have jams just like the one shown.

Apparently, researchers have shown that when a highway is operating at something like 50% of the capacity, a tap on the brakes can cause a slow ripple that drops speeds down to 35mph up to 5 miles away.

One person or a couple people tap their brakes and 5 miles away it causes those drivers to slow to 35mph.

It's insane how dynamic automobile traffic is....

Read an article years ago about a study on traffic and how the researchers compared it to sound waves.

They concluded that the dynamics were similar.  I coulda told 'em that!!  

I leave my "crib" at 6 am in Lawrenceville and have to drive in on 316 to 85 South to North Ave-downtown ATL, yo.

I run at 80 mph and cars still buzz by me.  

Been doing this for 10 years, not a single accident or speeding ticket.  

Now if the homies would get off the cell phones and actually drive....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always drive straight through, trying to stay in same lane I was in before the other 8 lanes appeared. It's always a rush--who needs drugs when you have Atlanta's Interstates during the day?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

As demonstrated by testimony in this thread, the "homies" are capable of runnin 80 and talking on their cell phone.

The fagtards in that video are probably from Seattle, which explains their logic and also explains why our traffic is so phuckt up.

Follow, lead or get the hell out of the way. Give me a "homie" on the cell phone anyday.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:35:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah the guy I car pool with a few days a week got  a ticket this morning on I-20 headed east just outside of Atlanta. 81 in a 55. Cop said 80 is the cutoff and would not bend on the one mile over. Got to love Dekalb's finest! One thing though, I thought it was illegal for cars to drive side by side at the same speed impeding traffic. Neat to see but would have been pissed if I was behind them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As demonstrated by testimony in this thread, the "homies" are capable of runnin 80 and talking on their cell phone.

The fagtards in that video are probably from Seattle, which explains their logic and also explains why our traffic is so phuckt up.

Follow, lead or get the hell out of the way. Give me a "homie" on the cell phone anyday.

They were leading  Although I think speed limits that are arbatrary are gay, I wonder, what if an emergency vehicle needed to get by?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#23]

I thought it was illegal for cars to drive side by side at the same speed impeding traffic.

They weren't "impeding" traffic if they were going the speed limit, just impeding speeders.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:41:44 AM EDT
[#24]

This video reminds me why I'll never leave Savannah for ATL.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#25]
tag for later
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#26]

ticket them for 'impeding the flow of traffic'

There's a semi-famous local story about that.  The daughter of a prominent preacher here got a ticket for doing just over 70 MPH on I-85 through Atlanta while on the way to Florida.  On the way back she set the cruise for 55 MPH since she got a ticket before.  She was stopped by the same police officer and ticketed for obstructing traffic.  I think her father still tells that story at least once a week.  He still uses that officer as an example of hypocrisy.z
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#28]
tagged
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Yup, the impeding traffic laws and the speed laws are independent of each other.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#30]
tag for home.

I dunno about you guys but if you do 75 (55mph zone) on I95 south of Philadelphia you are getting passed like you are standing still.

<-- ticket free since 1998 thanks to my Valentine One.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:05:59 AM EDT
[#31]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought it was illegal for cars to drive side by side at the same speed impeding traffic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They weren't "impeding" traffic if they were going the speed limit, just impeding speeders.

My point is is that I think it is illegal to drive the same speed side by side blocking traffic. I remeber reading an article about that in the paper several years ago which pointed out that people who take it upon themselves to drive in the fast lane at a certain speed to slow down traffic are actualy doing something illegal. You know who I am talking about, the jackasses that sit in the left lane and pace another car so that they can inforce the speed limit. I call them the keeper of the speed. Do gooders that take it upon themselves to regulate the highway.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They did seem to bit a bit pussy.  "Oh my God, I am so nervous".  And "I tried to act like I was on my cell phone so people behind me couldn't get too mad at me".  For some reason that trait stuck out to me with all of them.  DEFINITELY libtards.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Wow, you're a badass

The thought of you owning a gun is a bit scary.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Wow, you're a badass

Yet look at your login name:  HRoark!  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#35]
That video is hilarious.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

This video reminds me why I 'll never leave left Atlanta for Savannah for ATL.

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
tag for home.

I dunno about you guys but if you do 75 (55mph zone) on I95 south of Philadelphia you are getting passed like you are standing still.

<-- ticket free since 1998 thanks to my Valentine One.

Hell, I went back home to visit the family and the speed limit on I-76 is 50!!!!
I was doing 75 and cars were still passing me like I was sitting still.

Funny thing, drove in Philly for 6 years and not one ticket ever. Moved to Ohio and got three my first month here
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow, you're a badass

My login name has nothing to do with the fact that some idiot who is "not a calm person" and would run someone off the road, probably isn't the safest person to be around when he has a gun.

Would you like me to explain it to you with smaller words?

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#39]

There's a semi-famous local story about that.  The daughter of a prominent preacher here got a ticket for doing just over 70 MPH on I-85 through Atlanta while on the way to Florida.  On the way back she set the cruise for 55 MPH since she got a ticket before.  She was stopped by the same police officer and ticketed for obstructing traffic.  I think her father still tells that story at least once a week.  He still uses that officer as an example of hypocrisy.z

That would be fun to take them both into court and ask the Judge which one is correct
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#40]
That was awesome.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#41]
ive got to tell you...that was an incredibly selfish and self serving asshole maneuver those libtard smartass little pricks pulled. maybe theyve got nothing better to do but you cant fuck with a few hundred people just so you can make a video about how cool you are. WOW, what a protest, we screwed over hundreds of people trying to make appointments, get to work on time, make Jr's little league game.

i hope they felt vindicated knowing how many people they fucked over. thats infurating. i hope someone followed them home and kicked the shit out of them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#42]
3 words 'reasonable and prudent'.

Too bad the SC ruled it was too vague.

Even during the short time that Montana had absolutly no speed limit period they had the lowest traffic fatalities in the nation on a per capita basis. It was even lower than durring the 'reasonable and prudent' time frame.

But the nation was duped by the NHTSA and their bogus speed kills campaign.

I must say what those kids did was pretty bad, what if someone was having an emergency and needed to get to the hospital, I've heard of women having miscarriages because of people going the speed limit in the left lane.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Those idiots should be shot.  Were they doing the speed limit?  Sure.  Were they practicing "slower traffic keep right?"  Nope.  

"We were dangerous, but we were obeying the law."  No you weren't you libtard fucker.  Get the hell out of the fast lane if you're gonna go slow.

Calm down.   They were just illustrating how dumb the speed limits are.  Something you should appreciate, rocketboy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow, you're a badass

My login name has nothing to do with the fact that some idiot who is "not a calm person" and would run someone off the road, probably isn't the safest person to be around when he has a gun.

Would you like me to explain it to you with smaller words?

Here is the small word explination for you.

"bite me"

Now you can go sit on that and spin if you so desire.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I've heard of women having miscarriages because of people going the speed limit in the left lane.

It isn't grandma's fault that some bitch has a conniption.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
ive got to tell you...that was an incredibly selfish and self serving asshole maneuver those libtard smartass little pricks pulled. maybe theyve got nothing better to do but you cant fuck with a few hundred people just so you can make a video about how cool you are. WOW, what a protest, we screwed over hundreds of people trying to make appointments, get to work on time, make Jr's little league game.

i hope they felt vindicated knowing how many people they fucked over. thats infurating. i hope someone followed them home and kicked the shit out of them.

Nice to see you support breaking the laws (Speeding).
Own a modified AR too do we?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice to see you support breaking the laws (Speeding).
Own a modified AR too do we?

holy crap tell me your not equating speeding with a felony gun charge...

Or are you one of the people that uses the old saw "if they told you to jump off the cliff would you?"
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Looks like the state likes the revenues from the tickets they write when the population ignores crappy laws
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Those idiots should be shot.  Were they doing the speed limit?  Sure.  Were they practicing "slower traffic keep right?"  Nope.  

"We were dangerous, but we were obeying the law."  No you weren't you libtard fucker.  Get the hell out of the fast lane if you're gonna go slow.

Calm down.   They were just illustrating how dumb the speed limits are.  Something you should appreciate, rocketboy.

Actually, they were impeding traffic, and causing a dangerous situation on the highway.  I'm not sure of the laws in Georgia, but here in Texas "Slower Traffic Keep Right" is enough to get you a citation for doing a bonehead stunt like these idiots.

Same law in Georgia. Hell they even post it on signs on the side of the road.

I was in texas a few years back and was REALLY impressed with people and driving there. If you were on a 2 lane road going faster than another person EVEN if you slowed down and followed at a very respectable gap "8 sec" they would roll over on the side of the road and allow people to pass. And this was a constant thing. Blew my mind repeatedly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top