Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 2/28/2006 5:39:09 AM EDT
Penn & Teller's BULLSHIT!

Here is a thirty minute video of the episode on the war on drugs........this is one of their best, except 'Creationism vs Evolution'....that is the best one.

BULLSHIT:THE WAR ON DRUGS

The number of drug deaths in the US in a typical year is as follows:
Tobacco kills about 390,000.
Alcohol kills about 80,000.
Secondhand smoke from tobacco kills about 50,000.
Cocaine kills about 2,200.
Heroin kills about 2,000.
Aspirin kills about 2,000.
Marijuana kills 0.

Source: NIDA Research Monographs

LINK

EDIT......

BTW.............I did not pull these stats myself, it was on that episode, just to clear that up
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:40:24 AM EDT
[#1]
This thread gives me the munchies
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats interesting. I assume the alcohol statistics include vehicular deaths as well?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:41:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never known marijuana to do anything but make people lazy and docile.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:44:22 AM EDT
[#5]
IBTESS

(In before the eventual shit storm)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've seen guys get drunk and want to fight everyone they see.

Get a guy stoned though, and all he wants to do is giggle.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:47:33 AM EDT
[#7]
that was a great episode
they also did one on gun control that was great.
you just cant argue with the numbers.
now if i could just remember where i put my bong

My post count is at 69
Yeah baby!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:47:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

And yet as that underground growing facility thread shows, mary-jane users have this sort of split personality when it comes to motivation.

I've seen complete burn outs spend an entire weekend creating sophisticated water pipes with 10 layers of filtraiton!  But they can't find time to throw their got damned trousers in the laundry!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:49:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Figures never lie, and liars never stop figuring....

There have been two marijuana fatalities here in Santa Clara that I am aware of...

1- DUI crossed highway 85 and killed the preganant wife my by BIL's office mate.
2- DUI accident involving three Saratoga HS students where one died.

Do you see the light now? For those that drive under the influence of marijuana will be charged with DUI (and other things), but the stoners keep lumping all DUI deaths as alcohol-related to further their cause... smoke more & decrease IQ.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:50:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh, almost forgot... how about the illegals that were camped up in the Los Gatos mountains growing weed to sale for stoners that shot and killed a LEO last year???????

Your numbers you cite are full of shit.  Stop inhaling and your IQ will grow higher.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:51:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Very questionable statistic, at least for the US.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And yet as that underground growing facility thread shows, mary-jane users have this sort of split personality when it comes to motivation.

I've seen complete burn outs spend an entire weekend creating sophisticated water pipes with 10 layers of filtraiton!  But they can't find time to throw their got damned trousers in the laundry!

You really care if some stoners' crotch smells like onions?????

I would like to see how many legal gun owners here on ARFCOM smokes weed...........it will surprise you.

I should make a poll..........
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:54:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We spent about 2 days working up this totally cool spill proof water pipe. Its was the shiznittle dude! You could open a valve to turn it on, smokey smoke smoke then close the valve and it was sealed. And it was pretty small too, so you could keep it in the car and just toss it under the seat when you were done.

Errr...

Never mind...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We spent about 2 days working up this totally cool spill proof water pipe. Its was the shiznittle dude! You could open a valve to turn it on, smokey smoke smoke then close the valve and it was sealed. And it was pretty small too, so you could keep it in the car and just toss it under the seat when you were done.

Errr...

Never mind...

she what I mean.................I live in Tx and I know many arfcom members that are functioning pot-heads......
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

There have been two marijuana fatalities here in Santa Clara that I am aware of...

1- DUI crossed highway 85 and killed the preganant wife my by BIL's office mate.

Do you see the light now? For those that drive under the influence of marijuana will be charged with DUI (and other things), but the stoners keep lumping all DUI deaths as alcohol-related to further their cause... smoke more & decrease IQ.

That's one of the problems with the pro-pot crowd - they'll use questionalbe figures and there's a portion that will go into the whole 'pot conspiracy theory' thing that just makes them look crazy.

Here's a hint to the potheads: Don't spout conspiracy theories on how your favorite weed was banned by the oil companies or hitler or whoever. Don't spout statistics that can be disproven with a little fact finding. Instead argue on the only thing that is going to get your favorite weed legalized: States rights. That's all you need and that's the only thing that's going to work for you. Everything else is, to borrow a phrase from Penn & Teller, just bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:03:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's one of the problems with the pro-pot crowd - they'll use questionalbe figures and there's a portion that will go into the whole 'pot conspiracy theory' thing that just makes them look crazy.
Here's a hint to the potheads: Don't spout conspiracy theories on how your favorite weed was banned by the oil companies or hitler or whoever. Don't spout statistics that can be disproven with a little fact finding. Instead argue on the only thing that is going to get your favorite weed legalized: States rights. That's all you need and that's the only thing that's going to work for you. Everything else is, to borrow a phrase from Penn & Teller, just bullshit.

dude.....stop hoggin' it, puff puff pass already
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:04:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:04:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

See my first post. Thats what I figured was happening.
That said, marijuana is still a hell of a lot safer then alcohol no matter how you want to figure it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#20]
rogue007
Post Number :: 459
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:18:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
rogue007
Post Number :: 459

and your point is...........
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:19:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Do you see the light now? For those that drive under the influence of marijuana will be charged with DUI (and other things), but the stoners keep lumping all DUI deaths as alcohol-related.

You have made me see the light--
I know many more cases of people on the cell phone who crash and kill---
Many senior citizens who have no business behind the wheel, drive through the front of a resturant killing people--

May be the thread over the weekend here "They just took my father away", would have had a different ending if his father smoked pot---"My father ate all the goodies, watched the cartoon network, and giggled"
how about showing your stats on the ratio of pot/alcohol related dui's---i'm sure alcohol will surpass x10, alcohol is legal..
lose your car over stems and seeds in the ashtray........what about empty bear cans?  Oh, yeah, alcohol is legal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:25:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you see the light now? For those that drive under the influence of marijuana will be charged with DUI (and other things), but the stoners keep lumping all DUI deaths as alcohol-related.

You have made me see the light--
I know many more cases of people on the cell phone who crash and kill---
Many senior citizens who have no business behind the wheel, drive through the front of a resturant killing people--

May be the thread over the weekend here "They just took my father away", would have had a different ending if his father smoked pot---"My father ate all the goodies, watched the cartoon network, and giggled"
how about showing your stats on the ratio of pot/alcohol related dui's---i'm sure alcohol will surpass x10, alcohol is legal..
lose your car over stems and seeds in the ashtray........what about empty bear cans?  Oh, yeah, alcohol is legal.

Actually I really wish they would prohibition alcohol again................I am a drinker of sorts, if they take
it away it wouldnt effect me at all. All the poor kids who get slapped around and everybody's loved ones
getting killed because they wanted to have one too many at the mexican restaraunt............ No matter
how you put it........... ALCOHOL is the most dangerous drug. period.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:35:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Here is a thirty minute video of the episode on the war on drugs........this is one of their best, except 'Creationism vs Evolution'....that is the best one.

BULLSHIT:THE WAR ON DRUGS

The number of drug deaths in the US in a typical year is as follows:
Tobacco kills about 390,000.
Alcohol kills about 80,000.
Cocaine kills about 2,200.
Heroin kills about 2,000.
Aspirin kills about 2,000.
Marijuana kills 0.

Source: NIDA Research Monographs

Marijuana Use Linked To Early Bladder Cancer
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=36695

Marijuana smoking damages sperm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3186686.stm

Drug 'doubles' fatal crash risk
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4486308.stm

Schizophrenia
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1654646,00.html

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:41:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Anyone have a link to the P&T show on Gun Control?  Still havent seen it.

- BG
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Actually I really wish they would prohibition alcohol again................I am a drinker of sorts, if they take
it away it wouldnt effect me at all. All the poor kids who get slapped around and everybody's loved ones
getting killed because they wanted to have one too many at the mexican restaraunt............ No matter
how you put it........... ALCOHOL is the most dangerous drug. period.

Because it worked so well the first time?  

People just don't get it - PROHIBITION OF ALCOHOL, POT, GUNS, ETC DOES NOT WORK.

I would vote to legalize pot in an instant, and my only drug intake (anymore) is a caffeine beverage about once a week, and a beer maybe once every 3 months.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I find it funny that so many people jumped on the Penn and Teller bandwagon after their gun control bullshit episode.  But as soon as they create a show about  the drug war everyone who jumped on their bandwagon is jumping off.  

I see this shit everyday if you are a democrat you can tell me all the bullshit about the drug war one second and then accept that same bullshit about gun control the next.

Same goes for conservatives they know all the bullshit associated with gun control but will turn around and accept that same bullshit about the war on drugs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I find it funny that so many people jumped on the Penn and Teller bandwagon after their gun control bullshit episode.  But as soon as they create a show about  the drug war everyone who jumped on their bandwagon is jumping off.  

I see this shit everyday if you are a democrat you can tell me all the bullshit about the drug war one second and then accept that same bullshit about gun control the next.

Same goes for conservatives they know all the bullshit associated with gun control but will turn around and accept that same bullshit about the war on drugs.

Amen brother.  See my post above.  People think it's okay to ban one inanimate object because its very presence causes evil things, yet wail loudly when the other inanimate object is banned, because it's silly to think that inanimate objects cause evil things.  

Fucked up world.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen brother.  See my post above.  People think it's okay to ban one inanimate object because its very presence causes evil things, yet wail loudly when the other inanimate object is banned, because it's silly to think that inanimate objects cause evil things.  

Fucked up world.

Yeah, you guys are both right.

sometimes I speak out of my anus, I like drinking but hate drunk-drivers plain and simple.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Your fancy logic tricks won't work around here.

Begone!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The Welfare Drug
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#34]
let's burn some trees
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#35]
So marijuana wasn't a cause when the stoned driver blew through the stop sign,
and killed my friend pregnant sister?
Blow me!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
This thread gives me the munchies

I think wolfman97 just passed his doobie to rogue007.

Toke up, potheads.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucked up world.

Yeah, you guys are both right.

sometimes I speak out of my anus, I like drinking but hate drunk-drivers plain and simple.

Or another thing:  We're against gun banning, but Pro-drug banning, Pro-PitBull banning, and Pro-Women's Choice banning.  
Most of Arfcomdom is happy picking and choosing what portions of the NannyState it is willing, nay, clamoring,  to accept.  
In other words, most of y'all remind me of the ACLU-types picking and choosing Civil Liberties they're willling to defend.
We're quick to recognize bullshit stats when it comes to firearms, but we're the first ones to pull them up when it comes to drugs, abortion, and creationism.
Bah!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Or another thing:  We're against gun banning, but Pro-drug banning, Pro-PitBull banning, and Pro-Women's Choice banning.  

I'm also Pro-Slavery banning, Pro-illegal immigration banning, Pro-pedophilia banning, Pro-homosexual normalization banning and Pro-Islamofascism banning.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Most of Arfcomdom is happy picking and choosing what portions of the NannyState it is willing, nay, clamoring,  to accept.  
In other words, most of y'all remind me of the ACLU-types picking and choosing Civil Liberties they're willling to defend.
We're quick to recognize bullshit stats when it comes to firearms, but we're the first ones to pull them up when it comes to drugs, abortion, and creationism.
Bah!

Some are that way.

Others are more in line with the constitution and the proper role of the federal government and state's rights.

There is nothing in the BOR giving the feds the power to ban pot or other drugs outright. States should be able to decide what their drug policy is.
There is nothing in the BOR giving women 'the right to choose'. So when you see people wanting to get Roe V Wade overturned, most just want it to go back to the way it was before - states decided their abortion policy.
As far as pit bulls are concerned, that's the place for local ordinances. Again, with a proper intepretation of the constitution, there is nothing with that. The country was set up to give maximum control over most decisions to the citizens at the local level - the thinking being that if you don't like the law, you can either work to change it, or move to a community with a different law.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Anyone who is against marijuana is simply a misinformed swallower of propaganda. Too bad really. Yet, those same people usually have no reservations about going down to the bar for a beer.

What is it people cannot comprehend about RESPONSIBILITY?

Lets look at this word, "responsibility".

You don't drink alcohol and drive.
You don't mix guns and alcohol.
You don't operate machinery while taking certain prescription drugs.
You don't eat 3 dozen doughnuts in one sitting.
You wear safety glasses while grinding metal.
You don't dangle your kid from a balcony.
You don't eat a pound of bacon per day.
You keep your finger off the trigger.

These are all things adults are expected to do. To excersize a certain amount of logical thought and self control in your actions... to stay healthy, safe, and keep others safe. You must take things in moderation too... a beer or two is no problem, a slice or three of bacon is fine.  Overindulging in doughnuts or chocolate or alcohol or ever water, can have serious health effects. Your liver can fail or sustain damage from taking too much Tylenol.

If someone smokes a joint once in awhile, to relax while painting their garage on the weekend... who really gives a fuck, and why would anyone care? Oh.. because it's illegal! Right, and in some states, flash hiders and 20rd mags are still illegal too.

Just like drinking too much beer, smoking too much pot can impair people...
but generally speaking, when someone is stoned outta their skull, they really ain't tryin' to drive anywhere... eat and sleep is more like it. But again, personal responsibility to KNOW you really should'nt be driving at that point is important.

Pot has no dangerous side effects when used in moderation. It takes extremely excessive abuse to cause any permanant damage. Its far safer than MOST medications sold over the counter. It has some very beneficial medicinal effects.   Its not addictive and you can't overdose.

And above all... There is NO VALID REASON why it's illegal. Just like flash hiders.

And personally, I'm far more against alcohol, even though I drink on occasion and don't smoke pot. Alcohol is the most dangerous drug there is, period. But messing with reefer would jeapordize my freedom, as well as my right to own firearms.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Anyone who is against marijuana is simply a misinformed swallower of propaganda. Too bad really. Yet, those same people usually have no reservations about going down to the bar for a beer.

What is it people cannot comprehend about RESPONSIBILITY?

Lets look at this word, "responsibility".

You don't drink alcohol and drive.
You don't mix guns and alcohol.
You don't operate machinery while taking certain prescription drugs.
You don't eat 3 dozen doughnuts in one sitting.
You wear safety glasses while grinding metal.
You don't dangle your kid from a balcony.
You don't eat a pound of bacon per day.
You keep your finger off the trigger.

These are all things adults are expected to do. To excersize a certain amount of logical thought and self control in your actions... to stay healthy, safe, and keep others safe. You must take things in moderation too... a beer or two is no problem, a slice or three of bacon is fine.  Overindulging in doughnuts or chocolate or alcohol or ever water, can have serious health effects. Your liver can fail or sustain damage from taking too much Tylenol.

If someone smokes a joint once in awhile, to relax while painting their garage on the weekend... who really gives a fuck, and why would anyone care? Oh.. because it's illegal! Right, and in some states, flash hiders and 20rd mags are still illegal too.

Just like drinking too much beer, smoking too much pot can impair people...
but generally speaking, when someone is stoned outta their skull, they really ain't tryin' to drive anywhere... eat and sleep is more like it. But again, personal responsibility to KNOW you really should'nt be driving at that point is important.

Pot has no dangerous side effects when used in moderation. It takes extremely excessive abuse to cause any permanant damage. Its far safer than MOST medications sold over the counter. It has some very beneficial medicinal effects.   Its not addictive and you can't overdose.

And above all... There is NO VALID REASON why it's illegal. Just like flash hiders.

And personally, I'm far more against alcohol, even though I drink on occasion and don't smoke pot. Alcohol is the most dangerous drug there is, period. But messing with reefer would jeapordize my freedom, as well as my right to own firearms.

+1
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Wait wait wait....

Oh my god.....
What?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Blow me!!!

driving intoxicated is the cause. Whether you are drunk or high, Driving While Intoxicated is illegal and dangerous. You are sounding like the people that blame alcohol for DWI deaths and guns for gun-related deaths. It is the idiot who decided to get wrecked and drive who is to blame, not the thing HE used to get fucked up
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Wait wait wait....

Oh my god.....
What?

wha.....t........du......de......como esta?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

This country's drug problem was only exacerbated by prohibition of the drug.  Drug Addiction is a problem best solved by the Surgeon General, not the Attorney General.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Blow me!!!

driving intoxicated is the cause. Whether you are drunk or high, Driving While Intoxicated is illegal and dangerous. You are sounding like the people that blame alcohol for DWI deaths and guns for gun-related deaths. It is the idiot who decided to get wrecked and drive who is to blame, not the thing HE used to get fucked up

I think the point being made is to refute the idea that a lot of pot-pushers have that marijuana is "safe" and its use can't lead to injury or death.

I understand your point though about assigning responsiblity to the driver.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

And get curious about using other drugs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And get curious about using other drugs.

+1 alot of my friends in high school started on weed and got to heavier stuff. Out of all the guys who did it only 1 really fucked his life up and dropped out of college and became a gas station attendant. He got off and has been doing better since.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GunLvr

Not questionable... it is a outright lie.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GunLvr

Not questionable... it is a outright lie.

Those entire stats are questionable.

Pots has been responsible for ZERO  deaths? Come on - if yer gonna tell a  lie, tell a plausible one.

# 2 pencils have been responsible for deaths. Just recently here in SC a vacuum cleaner hose was responsible for a homicide

OF COURSE pot has been a primary factor in deaths in the US.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top