Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 7:27:09 PM EDT
Hey there!  Thinking about going to grad school and was wanting to get opinions on calcs.

So far I've seen the HP 10BII:

and the Texas Instruments model BAII plus:

Any suggestions?  I will be doing real estate analysis in my coursework.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
every financial geek I know is packing a HP.
The Texas Instrument are known to KB with bad batteries
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
hp all the way. It's a godsend.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#3]
haha thanks!

only if you are using recharged batteries, right?  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
In my grad FIN class the HP 10BII was required.  

Where are you getting your MBA from?  I went to Texas State at San Marcos because I was a slack ass in my undergraduate.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Where are you getting your MBA from?  I went to Texas State at San Marcos because I was a slack ass in my undergraduate.

It is actually a Masters of Science in Real Estate Analysis from UNT in Denton.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition and like it very much. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#7]
There is absolutely no reason to use anything except for the HP 12c
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a BAII+.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Go Bobcats!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2003/nar/images/calculator12c.jpg

I have one of those (as do almost all of the actuaries where I work) but prefer the TI BAII+ just because it was the required calculator for the actuarial exams and is what I'm used to.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Either will work fine for what you are doing.  The HP seems more popular and that's what I use, but they both do the same stuff.

The HP has rubber grippy corners and a mighty fine pleather case.  The TI has a hard shell that slips on as a cover.  The TI is a nice poop brown.  Just helping you to make an educated decision.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

yes
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes

Unless your brain works algebraically, and not in Reverse Polish Notation. I find that most people adapt to the 17 B II more quickly than to the 12 c. But if you are a purist, you can run the 17 B in a RPN mode.

I prefer the HP 17 B II. In fact, I have not been without one ( I'm on my second, first one finally gave up the ghost after 10 years) for 16 years.

The 17 B II has a program function, where you can input your own equations, and will do cash flow calculations, Present value calculations, and statistics/Math calculator functions.

The users manual that comes with the calculator has some of the best cash flow and time value of money explanations I have ever read... and I am definitely a finance weenie.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Also -

If you are doing a lot of Real Estate Analysis, make sure your "Excel"- Fu is strong.

You will be a spreadsheet monkey. Most of the real estate guys I know use their own, personally developed models to review their investment decisions.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top