Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 6:13:31 PM EDT
www.wwbt.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WWBT%2FMGArticle%2FWBT_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137834388544

Panel rejects bill allowing people to kill intruders

From NBC12 News
Monday, February 27, 2006

A Senate committee rejected legislation Monday that would've allowed you to kill anyone who breaks into your house and physically threatens you.

The bill essentially would have written the common law theory of self defense into the Virginia code. Republican Delegate John Welch of Virginia Beach said his bill would make it clear to Virginians that they have a right to use deadly force against an intruder.

Henry County Commonwealth's Attorney Bob Bushnell urged the Courts of Justice Committee to reject the bill, which he said amounted to ''a license to kill.''

The committee killed the bill on a voice vote.

Nice I guess I should cook them dinner and pop in a movie!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#1]
dang.... i would've moved to virginia just for that...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess this means we need to keep burying them in the swamp!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Chlorine removes blood evidence.  Just sayin'...

G
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
www.wwbt.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WWBT%2FMGArticle%2FWBT_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137834388544

Panel rejects bill allowing people to kill intruders

From NBC12 News
Monday, February 27, 2006

A Senate committee rejected legislation Monday that would've allowed you to kill anyone who breaks into your house and physically threatens you.

The bill essentially would have written the common law theory of self defense into the Virginia code. Republican Delegate John Welch of Virginia Beach said his bill would make it clear to Virginians that they have a right to use deadly force against an intruder.

Henry County Commonwealth's Attorney Bob Bushnell urged the Courts of Justice Committee to reject the bill, which he said amounted to ''a license to kill.''

The committee killed the bill on a voice vote.

Nice I guess I should cook them dinner and pop in a movie!

Bloody hell. Even in Massachusetts, we have the right to defend ourselves in our homes using deadly force. There is no duty to retreat here.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#6]
The supporters should have played ball like the liberals do.  Wrap this law up in a personal, heart string tugging story.  Case in point, they should have called it the Harvey Bill, after the Richmond family that had their throats cut on new years day by home invaders.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#7]

EDIT TO SAY:
This is what DriftPunch is talking about.....

What pisses me off is that it comes on the heels of this:

www.crimelibrary.com/news/original/0206/0902_harvey_murderers_indicted.html

We made national news, for this home invasion quadruple murder of a family!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I love Florida.

Well, except for the hurricane stuff.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Your county attorney is a turd.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Law or no law, my home is my castle and any invasion will be met with deadly fucking force.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
"...The bill essentially would have written the common law theory of self defense into the Virginia code...."

This is the important part!

The right already exists!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Chlorine removes blood evidence.  Just sayin'...

G

I thought it was amonia?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top