Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 5:14:13 PM EDT
Ok, so I've been working on the laundry room and bathroom in the basement.  The laundry room needs the floor sealed and a drop ceiling then it's done.  The bathroom is up to framing.  I allready put the drain pipes in the floor and after 5 weeks of waiting the shower pan is here.  My newest problem:

I framed the wall in a different spot then I had originally planned (you know that the 1 3/4 inches I added to the bathroom will make such a difference ).  So now the drain for the water closet is 1 3/4 further then I planned.  How much of a problem will this be?  Should I build-out the wall, or tear down what's there?  I don't want to do this, the concrete is 54 yrs old and indestructable - I used liquid nails and ram-set nails to hold the pressure treated lumber to the slab.

The wall on the right is the problem.  There will be a little of 1 inch of flooring (Delta FL, Plywood, tile)

Thank you Lowes for de-railing the project for 5 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Your number 1 question should be "Will this meet code?"
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the problem?  WC too close to wall or too far away.

Are you using a 4" drop (preferable) or 3" drop.  With the 4" you have some wiggle room as to the exact placement of the commode.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#3]
BOCA, and all local codes, but thanks for your concern.

Should I just post this in the Team forum where you can get real answers?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What is the problem?  WC too close to wall or too far away.

Are you using a 4" drop (preferable) or 3" drop.  With the 4" you have some wiggle room as to the exact placement of the commode.

OK, the drop is 4" and the WC is too far away from the wall (12 inch preferable, its now 13 3/4).  Can I get an extended tank or bowl?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
see if they make a offset flange.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#6]
You have almost 2 inches range on setting the commode IIRC, it doesn't have to be dead center in the drop.  How about double up on the sheetrock on that wall? Hell, triple if you have to.

Edit: I think I have seen offset flanges as well. May not help if you have already glued yours in place.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]
An inch and a bit won't makea huge difference visually in a basement bath. Add one of those shelf units that fit over the WC and you'll be fine.

An offset flange might be a way to go.

Also, while you have that wall open, you should add water hammer arrestors to the washer utility box supply lines....

efxguy
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Good to have you guys.

The WC flange is not set in place yet, so I have some play.  The plumber will be back on Saturday.

Plumber said the hammer arresters would not be necessary ... I'll have him explane it better.

EDIT TO ADD: The plumber said the hammer arresters are not required by the locals and are being cut out of hotels & hospitals due to Leigonella concerns posed by stagnant water in dead-legs.  Not sure if I buy that reason, arrestors IIRC are vertical and point upward, gravity would keep them from stagnating.  What I do know is that with the constant pressure from city supply and location water hammer may only be a problem when the water has been shut off to that leg and the system drained.

I'm worried about the tank not having the support of the wall.  I'm thinking the toilet is plenty strong enough, but how will it look?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#9]
It will look fine.  No one will ever notice unless you point it out.

I was serious about double sheeting the wall, it is done more often than you know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top