Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 1:57:14 PM EDT
My insurance company Horace Mann/Teachers Insurance sent notice to me that they would not renew my policy after 6 years of having one with them... Never filed a claim, always paid on time. So I run allthefuckover the place trying to find insurance (that is affordable, but from a decent company.) I end up with State Farm, for a $430 increase per year in my premium... Though I get more coverage on my auto insurance and that is $200yr less than what I had with Progressive. I start it and cancel Horace Mann and get a refund.
Get this; 24hrs after I get the refund check in the mail, I get a letter saying they have recended the notice, made a mistake, and would continue/renew my policy ... Ignore the previous letter. WTF !!! I scrambled alloverthefuckingplace to find insurance (not fun in FL.)

So, I have State Farm now... 2wks after I get the policy and pay for it, SF sends me a check for $38 because they overcharged me. Cool.

Today I get a bill from SF for $15 "Premium Increase." Why did you send me a friggin' refund and why are you increasing my premium after 3wks of coverage !?!

Jeezus are these companies nuts ?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You should have called your insurance company(First) and explained to them what the problem is.... chances are it could have been a paperwork oversight.

Good luck man.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You should have called your insurance company(First) and explained to them what the problem is.... chances are it could have been a paperwork oversight.

Good luck man.

I did, they said they were reducing policies in hurricane areas and focusing on their niche market (educators.)
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, they are.  Absolutely nuts.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#4]
USAA----> not on crack.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
USAA----> not on crack.

Also not writing new policies in costal areas (even thought I'm 20mi from h2o.) I've tried them every year since I bought my house.

You're right, they are a good company, I used to have auto with them... Never a problem.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
USAA----> not on crack.

+1  Very good and complete service all around.  If you qualify for a membership.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#7]
call your first company up and explain that because of their mistake you bought a policy elsewhere.

Then tell them that if they make up for your time and expense for having done that you'll come back. Also try to get a price break out of the deal. You never know ... it could work.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#8]
After Katrina many of the major Ins. companies either will refuse to take on a new policy ( regardless of your spotless history ) or will bring you on board at a jacked up rate.

Your 2 options as I see it:

1. go back to prior company at a significant savings

2. increase your decutable up to 2500-5K to lower your premium

Ins companies are idiots selling an intangible.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
call your first company up and explain that because of their mistake you bought a policy elsewhere.

Then tell them that if they make up for your time and expense for having done that you'll come back. Also try to get a price break out of the deal. You never know ... it could work.

Might, I would sort of feel bad doing that to the new company (even if it is State Farm.) You never know what may happen in the future and I'd hate to piss off options in the future if my old company gave me the same letter next year and meant it this time.

StrkAliteN, that's what I did...

Like I said, I got insurance, so no big deal, I just pay a bit more... I'm just amazed at how screw up business wise they are.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
USAA----> not on crack.

A huge +1

Auto
Home
some investments

A great company!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Might, I would sort of feel bad doing that to the new company (even if it is State Farm.) You never know what may happen in the future and I'd hate to piss off options in the future if my old company gave me the same letter next year and meant it this time.

It's business. I don't think they'd care in the future anyway, if they even remember it.

Trust me, state farm will fu*k you over in a heartbeat if they can get away with it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's business. I don't think they'd care in the future anyway, if they even remember it.

Trust me, state farm will fu*k you over in a heartbeat if they can get away with it.

Oh, no doubt... I'm going to call my old company and see what the premium would be (there has to be an increase after all the 2005 hurricanes, because there wasn't after 2004 and we got hit by Ivan.)
One of the reasons I went to SF here is that most everyone I know has their policy with that office and after Ivan they paid out bigtime, no problems.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, no doubt... I'm going to call my old company and see what the premium would be (there has to be an increase after all the 2005 hurricanes, because there wasn't after 2004 and we got hit by Ivan.)
One of the reasons I went to SF here is that most everyone I know has their policy with that office and after Ivan they paid out bigtime, no problems.

State farm is a decent company by me. I've had all of my insurance with them for about seven years now and have never had a problem.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#14]
State Farm was raping me with a splintery broomstick until a member here got me hooked up with Travelers
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
State Farm was raping me with a splintery broomstick until a member here got me hooked up with Travelers

auto insurance?

I had our resident insurance dude run quotes for a few companies for me and none of them could beat the rate I was getting from state farm.

Now that I think about it, I was having quotes run because they'd pissed me off about something, so I guess I retract that "never had a problem" business above. I did stay with them though because I couldn't find anyone cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
USAA----> not on crack.

Also not writing new policies in costal areas (even thought I'm 20mi from h2o.) I've tried them every year since I bought my house.

You're right, they are a good company, I used to have auto with them... Never a problem.

Yeah, I was extremely lucky to get them to insure my house in 2004.  I left Norfolk in 2003 for a year of school and sold my house.  To my surprise I got orders back in 2004 and bought another house.  When I called USAA they told me about their no coastal areas policy and said that the only reason they were writing me a policy is that I had an existing (renters) policy with them.

I get where they are coming from, but told the agent if USAA refused to write me a homeowner's policy they would not get the chance to write me an auto policy and that my investment and credit card accounts would go somewhere else as well.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

auto insurance?

I had our resident insurance dude run quotes for a few companies for me and none of them could beat the rate I was getting from state farm.

Now that I think about it, I was having quotes run because they'd pissed me off about something, so I guess I retract that "never had a problem" business above. I did stay with them though because I couldn't find anyone cheaper.

Auto was about the same.....Home owners was about 40% less via Travelers

And I got higher levels of coverage with Travelers.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AMEN to that!! State Farm is very poor on the payout side, and they are usually tilted to the high side on premiums.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top