Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 11:51:00 AM EDT
I need some new tunes. I don't care if they are new or old, I just need some more stuff to buy. To help folks out, I was going to write up a huge list of tunes/bands I really liked. Then I thought it would be better to give audio examples (some a little strange). Then it occured to me that listening to a bunch of samples might be a tad boring, so I decided to accompany the music with some cheezy comments and pictures.

Have a listen, crank it up, and give me some suggestions. Finding new bands that meet my criteria would be wonderful, but don't discount old stuff I haven't heard yet. Dig deep.

Video - 13min 10sec, 75.1 MB
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.pandora.com

www.last.fm

I appreciate the reply, but this isn't going to work.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.pandora.com

www.last.fm

Why not?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.pandora.com

www.last.fm

Why not?

Scratch that. I'm playing with pandora for a bit. People don't tend to listen to music the same way I do. That said, I'm going to give pandora a chance to see how well it "learns" my likes and dislikes, on the off chance that it's able to correctly determine why certain recordings sound better or worse to me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Scratch that. I'm playing with pandora for a bit. People don't tend to listen to music the same way I do. That said, I'm going to give pandora a chance to see how well it "learns" my likes and dislikes, on the off chance that it's able to correctly determine why certain recordings sound better or worse to me.

I doubt they take recording methods/quality into account when they categorize music there. For that you might have better luck with last.fm. I haven't used it yet, but iirc the difference between how the two systems work is that in pandora, all of the music is classified by their staff and they try to use your likes to match you up with new music that they predict you'll like. Wheras last.fm is a peer based system. If you like band xxx and lots of people who like band xxx also like band yyy, then they'll suggest band yyy to you.

You might also try looking up recordings you like on amazon.com or usenet and seeing what other things are mentioned in user reviews.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, Pandora now wants my money.

I can't get last.fm to come up. Bump for more suggestions.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, Pandora now wants my money.

I don't think so.

They just require an email address after you've listened to a few songs.

Once you regester  it can be either free (in which case you'll see ads in the bar to the right) or pay for service (in which case the ads go away).

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I couldn't get last.fm to come up either. It must not be working.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump. Video too long?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump.

Any of you guys ever heard the Edgar Brougton Band? Mama's Reward (Keep Them Freaks A Rollin')?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn good music man.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got something for you:

Clutch

Check it out.

bd
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#13]
tagged for later
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Clutch

Check it out.

bd

I'm listening to some samples (including this one) at amazon.com. The quality sucks, so it's hard for me to hear certain nuances. Still, they sound promising - particuarly for a newer band (by my standards). I might just buy it for $14.

Thanks dude!

Keep 'em coming guys.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Damn good music man.

Why, thank you. I'm proud of my eclectic collection.

Based on what you heard, can you think of anything else I might enjoy (keeping the recording techniques in mind?)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Clutch

Check it out.

bd

my favorite band next to Sabbath.......  My left forearm is on their website
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I dunno if you got these... but, I'll list em anyway

Animas - House of the rising Sun
Chuck Berry - johnny be good
Creedence Clearwater - I heard it through a grape vine
" " - bad moon risin
Dobie Gray - Drift away
Elivs JXL - Little less conversation
Glenn Miller - in the mood
Box Tops - The letter
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't fear the reaper

I have all of them too...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I dunno if you got these... but, I'll list em anyway

Animas - House of the rising Sun
Chuck Berry - johnny be good
Creedence Clearwater - I heard it through a grape vine
" " - bad moon risin
Dobie Gray - Drift away
Elivs JXL - Little less conversation
Glenn Miller - in the mood
Box Tops - The letter
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't fear the reaper

I have all of them too...

Yes on all counts.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Clutch

Check it out.

bd

Clutch rocks.  If you dig that check out Brand New Sin.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#21]
couldn't get your vid to load..........I'm recommending,"the Devin Townsend Band, Syynchestra" to everyone right now.  Heavy, maybe a touch, riffing, yes, melodic and beautiful IMHO, hell, I'm totally enamored with Devin right now, these days.  He's got a bunch of projects, he's a geetar player, and, he produces for a bunch of folks.  

The guy who mentioned Clutch is on it.  Clutch is the shit.  Check out the self titled one if you're not familiar with them.  Good stuff.  It's worth it for the lyrics alone.

My left-field pick would be Autolux......opening for NIN.  Spacey, poppy, alt tunings with a chick on the skins, she sings (like an angel) too.  

Before Autolux, there was a band called, "Failure".  "Fantastic Planet", is a great record.  Good guitar stuff.  I'm guessing you like guitar stuff, so, that's influencing my recommendations.

I'm thinking you're looking for stuff all over the map.  I can help if it's a little heavy.  Hippy, jam stuff, I dunno.  

Heavy sludgy stoner rock.  Old band called, "Beaver".  Look for, " The Difference Engine"  Try a little band that went on to be a bunch of bands, "Kyuss".  "Queens of the Stoneage", and "Hermano" are the notable spinoffs IMHO.  "Goatsnake" and "High on Fire", are also two great ones in this genre.

Right now, I like heavy fucking metal and electronica, so I don't know if I'm much help here.  

Fave metal thing="Arch Enemy", fave elec thing = "Boards of Canada".

Iffin' you're at all interested in electronic music, I can point you in the right direction.  

Cheers!

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Bump for more suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top