Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 9:59:09 AM EDT
Can someone explain in laymen's terms what a "Type I AV Block" is?

I tried googling it but couldn't get through the medical jargon.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Your heart has an electric conduction system. A major choke point is the "AV node."  There are several different ways electrical impulse can be blocked at this point.

I'm not sure from your question whether you mean "Type I" or "1st degree," so I will briefly cover both.

1st degree: All electrical impulses are slowed, but they make it through
2nd degree:
o Type 1: The delay gets longer and longer with each heartbeat until a one doesn't get through at all
o Type 2: The conduction is delayed by the same amount each time, and every once and awhile, one doesn't get through at all
3rd degree: "Complete block." Ain't nothin' gettin thru.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#2]
It's nothing... Just talked with my dad (a cardiologist) It means that the legnth from one chamber of the heart to another is a little longer then normal (seen by a little longer pause on the EKG) it is type one, nothing at all to worry about..
But your still going to die... Sorry can't do anthing about that one
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#3]
HI EVERYBODY!

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
HI EVERYBODY!

i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/ibdmentd/DrNick.gif

Hi Dr. Nick!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's nothing... Just talked with my dad (a cardiologist) It means that the legnth from one chamber of the heart to another is a little longer then normal (seen by a little longer pause on the EKG) it is type one, nothing at all to worry about..

Your dad is wrong (technically).  He (your dad) is referring to a 1st degree block.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Your heart has an electric conduction system. A major choke point is the "AV node."  There are several different ways electrical impulse can be blocked at this point.

I'm not sure from your question whether you mean "Type I" or "1st degree," so I will briefly cover both.

1st degree: All electrical impulses are slowed, but they make it through
2nd degree:
o Type 1: The delay gets longer and longer with each heartbeat until a one doesn't get through at all
o Type 2: The conduction is delayed by the same amount each time, and every once and awhile, one doesn't get through at all
3rd degree: "Complete block." Ain't nothin' gettin thru.

Ok, I dug in my records a little more, and on the actual ECG it says "1st Degree AV Block". The doctor put "Type I AV Block" in the summary.

So, no big deal, right?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok, thanks everyone for your help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top