BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 6:40:00 AM EDT
Got a vacition this coming weekend and of course I feel something coming on
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Whiskey works!

Oh.....crap.....I think I feel a cold comming on....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#2]
If you treat a cold, it lasts for seven days.

If you don't, it lasts a week.

Serioulsy, though, rush out to the drug store and get some of that Zinc shit.  It's supposed to help, if you use it early enough.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe you're just a budding hypochondriac.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you treat a cold, it lasts for seven days.

If you don't, it lasts a week.

That's always been the rule of thumb I've gone by.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:10:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Dayquil/Nyquil, smacks the crap outta colds for me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:19:13 AM EDT
[#6]
A Cold is Viral, guess how many Viral Illnesses modern medicine can cure.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#7]
studies show you're better off drinking sugar water and letting it run it's course than using over the counter cold remedies, that is, if it's a cold.......
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A Cold is Viral, guess how many Viral Illnesses modern medicine can cure.

'

so an antiviral drug used for cold sores could help?  Dont remember the name, but gots some!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Take zinc suppliments at the onset of a cold and it will shorten the duration by as much as 6 days.  Get more info here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#10]
No

You can treat your symptoms and at least feel better.

That of course, is assuming that it is in fact, a cold.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#11]
There are some studies that suggest that Zicam actually does shorten the duration of a the common cold.  It has also been linked to permanent loss of the sense of smell, something that also can happen after a cold. YMMV.
Effect of zincum gluconicum nasal gel on the duration and symptom severity of the common cold in otherwise healthy adults.

QJM.  2003; 96(1):35-43 (ISSN: 1460-2725)

Mossad SB
Department of Infectious Diseases, S-32, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Previous studies suggest that zinc salts may be effective in treating the common cold. Since rhinovirus infections occur primarily in the nasal cavity, an attempt to arrest the infection at the portal of entry seems logical. AIM: To assess the ability of zinc nasal gel to shorten the duration and reduce the severity of the common cold in healthy adults. STUDY DESIGN: Randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled study. METHODS: Of 1087 patients screened by telephone, 80 patients were enrolled, all presenting within 24-48 h of the onset of illness. They received one dose per nostril of a nasal gel spray containing either 33 mmol/l zincum gluconicum, or an identical placebo four times daily until their symptoms resolved, for a maximum of 10 days. RESULTS: Median duration of cold symptoms in the zinc group was significantly shorter than in the placebo group (median [IQR] 4.3 days [2.5-5.5] vs. 6 days [5-8.5], p=0.002). Nasal drainage, nasal congestion, hoarseness, and sore throat were the symptoms most affected. Significant reduction of total symptom scores started from the second day of the study. Adverse effects (mainly nasal stinging) were similar in both groups. DISCUSSION: Zincum gluconicum nasal gel shortens duration and reduces symptom severity of the common cold in healthy adults, when started within 24-48 h of the onset of illness.

Subject Headings
PreMedline Identifier: 12509647

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#12]
i've been taking 50mg of Zinc and 500mg of VitaminC everday since October and have had no problems yet.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#13]
IANAD, but...

Take zinc and vitamin c supplements starting immediately. When you feel symptoms that are definitely consistent with a cold (running/stuffed nose, frequent cough or sneezing, post-nasal drip, etc.), begin taking, in the daytime, pseudoephedrine or other epinephrine-simulating drugs (Sudafed is the most common) and dextromethorphan (which is a cough suppressant), with perhaps an antihistamine (such as Benadryl). Dayquil combines these. At night, the best is probably Nyquil. Do not exceed the recommended dosage or mix drugs where the label warns against it.

Also, once you begin coughing, menthol-based cough drops are the best choice, as is something somewhat sugary that can help to coat your throat with its syrup. Halls or Ricola are good, but I find Fisherman's Friend works the best, although it is VERY strongly mentholated.

This will most likely not shorten the duration of your cold. It will, however, treat the symptoms and allow you to feel better and operate more normally.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#14]
That nasal spray burns so damn bad you forget about the cold.  I could only take so much before I gave up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Drink several protein shakes a day and take an assload of vitamin c. Both help boost your immune system and can help shorten it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top