Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2001 11:02:09 AM EDT
Thinking of getting a Kel-Tec P-32 for CCW.  Has anybody used it and/or heard anything about it good/bad???  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard anything bad about it at all. Never gotten to shoot one though. I'm interested in the Kel-Tec sub 2000's. Damn they  look good.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Same here, I've heard no meaningful complaints. The gun is so slim and light that you shouldn't hesitate to take it with you for even the shortest trip to 'wherever/whenever'.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had the chance to handle (but not fire)
one.  I have heard they are reliable, they are
definately small and very light weight too.

My only concern is really the effectiveness
of the .32cal round itself.  Granted, it's
better than fingernails, but if I were carry-
ing a sidearm for personal protection, I'd
want a more substantial cartridge than the
.32ACP.  Just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I was handed one at the range.It weighed almost nothing,passed my accuracy standards
(3in group at 7yds)decent trigger pull,less recoil than I expected and this one had a nifty little pocket clip like a folding knife! If thats what you want, Go for it!
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#5]
better than no gun at all. I got one a few weeks ago have only shot 2 boxes of ammo through it so far (the stuff is more expensive than .45acp, so I'm ordering some from some dude in SGN) Had maybe 8-10 failure to extracts in the two boxes but I'm told this is normal for a brand new keltec, it needs to be worn-in. Only real problem I've seen is a burr on the feedramp of mine but from what I can tell it's in a place that is not touched by the cartridge and has caused no problems for me, but I'm going to polish it out anyway.

IMHO just because of the weakness of .32acp, [i](120 lb/ft max about the same as .22lr but 50% bigger dia. bulet = less penetration, use ball not hollowpoints is my way of thinking)[/i] it should only be used for "carrying when you're not carrying" but it is a NEAT little gun you don't even know it's there only about 9 ozs loaded. and DON'T DRY-FIRE it w/o a fired case or snap-cap, the firing pin will get stuck.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#6]
oh yeah and the accuracy is FRIGGIN GREAT for a little pocket pistol, I did about the same as tc69 about 3" at 7y. and having a big ol' fireball erupt around your whole had is cool too.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#7]
My thinking was that there are times when it's just not feasable to take a full-sized 1911 with extended magazine and two full clips with you.  But if you had such a small, light pistol, you'd always take it with you.  And I'd certainly rather have one then "fingernails".  For the other more dangerous trips you could go with something more substantial.  I'm just remembering the phrase that the small, puny pistol you have with you is better then the full-sized one you left at home.  For you guys that carry full sized pistol for CCW: are there ever times that you leave it at home because it's just too damn inconvenient and/or heavy/bulky to carry??
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got one in my front pocket right now. I love it. There are times when you just can't carry a "real" gun. Also, the P32 allows you to ALWAYS have a backup when you can carry a "real" gun. It's win-win.

Mine has been 100% reliable. I shoot and carry the Cor-bon. This litle thing shoots like a big gun, both accuracy- and feel-wise. It does not feel crappy like many small firearms. The trigger ain't very smooth and the front sight is too small. Overall it is an excellent hot weather or special-situation weapon. You won't regret your purchase.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#9]
are there ever times that you leave it at home because it's just too damn inconvenient and/or heavy/bulky to carry??

NEVER! Once you make the decision to carry,its 24/7. I have a S&W 36 that goes everywhere I go {within legal limits}I feel naked without it!
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
What about the p11 9mm?....little better than 32, not much bigger I don`t think.....[:)]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't know about the P-11 either.  It certainly is small and light, however not as small or as light as the P-32.  Don't know anything about its reliability or accuracy either.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I was thinking on a p11....of course the dealer says they`re wonderful.....glad you posted this, hope we get some good input.....[smoke]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been around the block with Kel-tec a few times. First with the P11, too many problems to list, sent it back for fixing, got it back, another problem developed, sent it back, they sent me a new one, it too developed problems. I guess these guns are fine unless you actually shoot them and then they show what a POS they really are. Even though Kel-tec will keep working with your gun until you are satisfied, I got real tired of paying shipping every time it had a problem, and that cheap $200 gun turns into a $400 gun real quick. I also have a P32 which was fine until I put about 500 rounds through it then it started falling apart. I traded in both Kel-tecs for a loss on a Kahr P7, couldn't be happier, super reliable, super accurate, light, small. 9mm is as small as I'll go and even then I require it to handle +P+ loads, which the Kahr does. I really prefer carrying my Springfield 1911 TRP but when I can't carry that, I carry the Kahr.

Link Posted: 8/13/2001 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Well if I can not carry my Kimber Pro CDP then the P-32 does well. Actually it is my wife's CCW!
First off...If you do buy one, and I would buy another, Don't go out shooting the thing every weekend! Practice a little with it and then carry it.
Buy you a Kimber full size if you want to shoot up some stuff!
It handle's the Cor-Bons very well but I would never expect it to shoot 500-1000 rounds.
Of course I know people who go out and shoot their hunting rifle's every year from 20-40 rounds just to get it sighted in...It just seems like a waste to me!

Hope this helps you and if you have any more question's just contact me.
Lynn
BigDozer66  
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Piece of crap.  Well, that's my experience.  I talked a friend of mine into buying a P32.  The first one wouldn't even cycle a round by hand.  He sold it unfired for a lot less than he paid, and then he bought another new one.  The new one worked for a few rounds then quit.  It's S/N was 31,8XX.  It is currently not working, because the spring that holds both the assembly pin in place and the slide stop down is broken.  The problem is that we haven't found anywhere that sells Kel Tec parts, not even Numrich.  I've called Kel Tec a dozen times so far asking for the name of a parts distributor.  They claim that they're working with someone, and will have a distributor Real Soon Now(tm).

Check-out ktog.org to see the continuous list of problems.  BTW, you'll see a few plants from Kel Tec that keep posting "glowing" reviews.  I think the term for this is astroturfing.

On a more negative note, I've been asking around (police instructor, a couple acquaintances that work at an indoor range, a friend that (seems) to own one of each small auto made), and I still haven't heard of a better choice.  So, if you want something that small, you might as well get the Kel Tec, because it's the best of the worst.  And, Hellraiser makes a very good point.  The $250 gun can get very expensive quickly when you have to pay for overnight UPS to keep sending it back to the factory.  Glock needs to get into the super-compact market and clean it out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, this sounds like...."look elswhere"....the dealer had a keltech carbine too...he was trying hard to move it and it didn`t seem to be!.......thanks for the input guys...apparently you can SOMETIMES get a good one.......personally...will keep looking....(keep going back to ruger/cz....not sure)....already have enough "big" pistols..........[:)]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought one about a year ago, it would not fire.  I sent it to Kel-Tec.  They had it back in my hands within a week, and now it works.  It is not 100 percent reliable, but it usually works pretty well.  It's a lot better than nothing.  There is a forum dedicated to these pistols, whose URL escapes me, search around and you'll find it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a P32. It's my take everywhere gun. I've had a couple of problems. First; when it was less than a week old the tigger link broke and it would only fire single action like. Second; I bought the belt clip and tried to install it myself. The frame pin is nearly impossible to get out. I asked the factory and get this, they told me to drill it out! I am however very satisfied with the pistol. I'm a peace officer and always, I mean always go armed(I had an ankle gun on at the alter). This pistol allows me to carry in any clothing even when I'm doing P.T.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a P32 and I love it.  I've put about 500 rounds through it since January and it hasn't missed a lick.  Some folks have had many problems.  I can tell you that Kel-Tec has the best customer service I have ever dealt with.  When I first bought it, I had a couple of failures to extract.  I called Kel-Tec and talked to Carolyn (the P32 gunsmith), she said I could send it back and she would replace the extractor or she would send me the parts if I wanted to do it myself.  Two days later I had a new extractor, pin, and spring in my mailbox.  Took me about two minutes and not a problem since.  I would recommend the hard chrome version if you plan to carry in a damp sweaty environment.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2001 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My only concern is really the effectiveness
of the .32cal round itself.  Granted, it's
better than fingernails, but if I were carry-
ing a sidearm for personal protection, I'd
want a more substantial cartridge than the
.32ACP.  Just my opinion though.
View Quote

I started to get a P-32 when they first came out but ended up with a Spyderco Endura due to the reasons stated above! Really, I think the knife would be more effective.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I think Kahr is close to coming out (if not already) with the ultimate pocket rocket, the P9 Covert. They are advertising it on their website but I haven't found anyone stocking them yet. Yes it's over twice the weight and cost of the P32. But it's chambered in what I consider the absolute minimum defensive round. With a good pocket holster the weight will be pretty much a non-issue IMO and my life is worth the extra $$$

Rick
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I also own the Kel-Tec P-32 with the belt clip that I installed. The gun weighs aroung 6.6 oz, and is perfect for summer concealed use. I purchased the RBCD ammo that gives the extra punch of 1800 fps and 275 foot pounds of energy. Good pocket rocket.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#24]
If you are looking for small and cheap, get a Makarov.  It is actually cheaper, very reliable, relatively well-made, quite accurate (for a mouse gun), and is chambered for a more powerful cartridge (9x18mm Mak.).  It is only slightly heavier.

I know nothing about the P32, but given what some on this board have said I'll stick to the Makarov.

A used PPK might be in order as well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#25]
My P-11 is a fantastic pocket pistol.Have fired around 500 rds with no probs.consider the 9 over the 32,more power in the approx. same size pistol is a no brainer!
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#26]
The P11 is nowhere near the same size as the P32.  Neither is the Makarov.  Apples and oranges, gents.

I would much rather carry my Glock 27.  But for *deep* concealment, the P32 rocks.  I just hope I don't ever have to shoot anyone with it, they might get mad at me . . .
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#27]
The .32 is intriguing (6 oz!!!) but I have my doubts about the caliber.  I have a P11 in 9mm and I am impressed. 14 oz. empty, 10 rds of a respectable loading... I have the belt clip and after 200+ (mostly hollowpoints) rounds not a single malfunction.  Trigger is a bit heavy, but this can be a safely asset.  It's smaller and lighter than my beloved Walther PPK's in 380, and it beats it in all practical categories except trigger pull.  My dos centavos.  Ray
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a P32 with a chrome top.  No misfires - shoots pretty darned accurate if you pull the trigger half back, take aim, then finish the pull.  I love it for deep cover - can just slip it in my pocket and no one is the wiser (I have a CCW lic.).   Definitely worth having around.  The biggest problem with a 9 mm or even a 380 is concealability requires some work on your part - with this baby it is grab and go.   Got to love that.  I highly recommend the chrome top.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#29]

I picked up the Kel-tec p32 in July.  I tested it with some FMJ, Winchester Silvertip and Federal Hydrashock.  No problems.  At 21 feet I can get all my shots on paper...some black.  It is so light I wear this as a backup or when my G19 or 26 is just not appropriate.  This image shows the belt clip which makes the P32 a carry anywhere(legally of course) gun.  When it is "clipped", only the to edge is visible and it looks like a commonly seen folding knife.  At $200-220, I definately recommend it.  

Shadows
[img]http://www.shadows.com/dave/image/keltechp32.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:24:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I would much rather carry my Glock 27.  But for *deep* concealment, the P32 rocks.  I just hope I don't ever have to shoot anyone with it, they might get mad at me . . .
View Quote

My sentiments exactly.  If you're being attacked
by a 250lb man high on crack or methamphetamines, getting attacked by a pissed
off, 250lb man high on crack or meth with 3
.32cal bullet holes in him isn't much of an
improvement in the situation.  But still, I
wholeheartedly agree that a .32 beats finger-
nails.

Make mine a .40...
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 4:20:54 AM EDT
[#31]
My brother (DrTom) bought one, and we got failures to extract, with a variety of ammo.  Replacing the extractor did not fix the problem.  (Kel-Tec sent the replacement parts quickly.)  That gun is back at Kel-Tec for their attention.

It appears to be a neat little design, so DrTom bought a second one.  This one has also proven unreliable.

Impression so far:  neat design; poorly executed.

DrMark
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 4:38:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I think I'll stay with my Glock 26 thank you....
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 5:34:54 AM EDT
[#33]
I am not a plant and have a Chromed 32. I did the "fluff and buff" (shown on KTOG) to it before I ever took it to the range and a it runs on anything. It did fall to go into battery a few times at first due to a srong mag spring but hasn't done shit since the 2 mag went through it. If you get one do the work to it. I know one shouldn't have to this type of work on a new pistol but hey it's the cheapest lightest pistol one can get. And it wasn't hard to do the work.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:22:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I've had one for about a week.  I shot a box of ball ammo through it without any problems.  It is very small and conseals very easily.  As far as the effectiveness of the .32, check out the street results: [url]www.evanmarshall.com/towert/stoppingpowerfigures.htm[/url]
The data for Winchester Silvertips is encouraging.

357mag
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a P32 that is quite reliable.  It has been back to Kel Tec twice.  Once for an upgrade to a chrome slide and again to fix whatever they screwed up in changing it.  I have also had to experiment with Wolff magazine springs to avoid the dreaded "rimlock".  A 32acp does not give me much confidence, but it is better than nothing.  The P32 is so light that it truly is unique for deep concealment.  Most owners like them.  Watch-Six    
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#37]
[url]www.ktog.org[/url]

{Edited to say I THINK???? these guys are biased!)[:D]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I figure I should comment on this since I own one. I also own a P 11. I 've shot the P 32 and I liked the nice tight shooting and control. I carry it with me every where. I also have bigger calibers along for the ride also, I'll always have the P 32 in my pocket. I have not had a chance to shoot the P 11 yet since I carry my Glock 27 with me also.
As far as reliability out of the box I had a problem with a non functioning Colt pony right out of the box. The dealer sold it to me right
out the shipping box and then told me to test fire it before leaving because colt had a problem with ponys not firing straight from the manufacturer. It didn't work and worse I had to go to the next city to get it repaired because Colt had reduced their number of AUTHORIZED repair shops.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I figure I should comment on this since I own one. I also own a P 11. I 've shot the P 32 and I liked the nice tight shooting and control. I carry it with me every where. I also have bigger calibers along for the ride also, I'll always have the P 32 in my pocket. I have not had a chance to shoot the P 11 yet since I carry my Glock 27 with me also.
As far as reliability out of the box I had a problem with a non functioning Colt pony right out of the box. The dealer sold it to me right
out the shipping box and then told me to test fire it before leaving because colt had a problem with ponys not firing straight from the manufacturer. It didn't work and worse I had to go to the next city to get it repaired because Colt had reduced their number of AUTHORIZED repair shops.[rolleyes]
View Quote

Why would you buy it if it didn't work? The dealer already had your money and would not give a refund on a non-working gun? What would have been the point of test firing before leaving if the dealer was not going to do anything about a non-working gun? Confused.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I had already bought it, then he told me to test fire it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top