Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 10:21:17 PM EDT
People, i need your help,  Im going to try to quit smoking this week, and it'll be my 6th time trying to quit.  Some people dont understand how hard it is to quit.  My girlfriend hates it when i smoke, she says i taste like a big cigarette.  I also look at the health hazards and look at my age and wonder why i do this.  I mentioned that i was going to try to quit again and she says, yea right.  
Shes the main reason im quiting, and that with all the saved up money from quiting, can be put towords more 5.56 ammo and toys for the AR

AFRCOM ex smokers, i need some support here and maybe some tips to quiting.
I havnt had a smoke in 3 hours and i feel like shit  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]
E-Collar
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
E-Collar

what?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#3]
It's difficult...I've been without for 4 months now....I just quit cold turkey...It was difficult but it can be done. Keep your head up and do anything possible to keep it off your mind.
ETA: I hear the patch and the gum work really well
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#4]
i got a question thou, what is it, 3 days before the nicotiene is out of your system?

how many days will i be on an angry rampage?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#5]
3 days til its out of your system....Unfortunately, it took me about 2 weeks to be over the addiction (to quit wanting to choke the shit outta every person I saw)
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
dude this sucks because im surrounded by morons due to my sisters friend that moved in due to "rough times",  rough times means shes staying here with her 6 month old baby because she broke it off with her psyco boyfriend,  now say she pisses me off or he shows up, what could i think of to get me not to knock someone the fuck out?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#7]
ummm.......I dunno. Kick her out? j/k. Honestly, I didn't realize it, but when I quit, I started eating, I put on 15 pounds after I quit (I JUST lost all of it), but I felt a lot better, even after I gained the weight. Do whatever you can to NOT smoke. All you can do is your best. Good luck
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]
dude, when i quit, ill lock my damn cabinets, because i dont wanna gain any extra weight, ive been liad up due to an truck wreck, and a quad wreck, so i need to lose weight already

soon as this cold weather breaks, i gotta get the mt. bike out and start riding again.

and gotta lose this damn beer gut
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#9]
There you go.....be prepared to get EXTREMELY winded for a while....When I finally realized how much weight I put on after quitting, I started running 8 miles a day, and eating 1000 calories a day...I lost the 15 lbs in about 10 days
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#10]
well depending on my schedule and what the weathers like, ill be riding 6 miles a day when it gets nice
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#11]
That'll help a lot....Best I can suggest is to keep calm and do your best...Good Luck
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I started smoking cigars. *shrug*
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quitters never win
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:19:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I would try cold turkey first. A lady I work with tried the gum and ended up getting hooked on it and chewed it like a fiend. $40 bucks a box or so gets way more expensive than a pack of cigs.

I quit for a year and a half then stupidly picked it back up again. The first time I went cold turkey. After the 3 days the withdrawals were just about done and like he said rougly 2 weeks before I wasn't pissed all the time. My withdrawals were pretty severe. My stomach stayed upset almost to the point of vomiting, sweated very very easily, headaches, jitters and couldn't concentrate for shit.  But stick with it because after your lungs clear up and you actually get the normal amount of oxygen you remember how good it feels. I never felt better, slept better and was just in a better mood all the time.

I am currently preparing myself mentally to stop again and for good this time. I know how you feel about your girlfriend. My best friend who doesn't smoke hounds me about quitting. He can't understand how hard it really is. I want to quit to bad, but it's one hell of an addiction considering it's legal.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I tried numerous times myself - the patch, gum, you name it.

In the end, when I really, REALLY, wanted to quit, I just woke up one morning, threw the camels away and went cold turkey.

That was almost two years ago.

Yeah, it was rough at time, but the first 72 hours are the worst.   I just made sure I had something to do - anything to keep from just sitting around doing nothing.   I went walking, took the dog to the park, baked cookies - just to keep busy.

After day three, it gets better, but there are still moments.  

Good luck, it's a bitch to quit, but if you pull it off, you'll thank yourself down the road.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I had the most trouble not smoking when doing my normal hobbies. I always smoke when working on my Firebird, tinkering my guns(not while reloading though) or even shooting. That is what I'm worried about this time around too. I don't smoke in the house, don't smoke in my truck or at work.

It's a bitch. Stupid that I smoke too, saw my dad get severe lung cancer and die within a year of being diagnosed. You would think that would make me want to quit even more but it never phased me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:45:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
dude this sucks because im surrounded by morons due to my sisters friend that moved in due to "rough times",  rough times means shes staying here with her 6 month old baby because she broke it off with her psyco boyfriend,  now say she pisses me off or he shows up, what could i think of to get me not to knock someone the fuck out?

Threesome.  SII...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:47:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I have successfully quit dipping now for hell 3 months I guess.  Just man up and suck it up.  Quit being a winey pussy and push through it.  

Seriously think that you are voluntering ending your life 10-15 years early so you can suck on the end of a cigarette.  Just keep thinking about all the cool gun stuff you can own instead.

YOU CAN DO IT
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:57:58 AM EDT
[#19]
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=436566Get this book, & then post on my topic & tell us how well it worked for you. There is a 2 part section that deals with quiting smoking. You will be amazed off you azz at how easy it reallt is.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:07:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quit being such a pussy !

You have to want to quit, and you have to stop blaming cigarettes for your lack of self control. I successfully quit in January after 9 yrs by just deciding I wasnt going to do it anymore.  And it's easy as hell once you figure out how to say to yourself " I don't need it" when those urges strike after a meal or while driving.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:25:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I prayed and asked God to help me quit.

He did.

I was able to quit easily after probably 30 some years of smoking.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I watched my Dad die from lung cancer.  Saw him take his last shallow breath.  

If watching a loved one die from smoking cigarettes won't work, I don't know what would.  

Good luck.

vmax84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top