Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2006 10:04:45 PM EDT
My friend  has a cousin that owns a bail service ,so he is going to work as a bounty hunter
slash bail bonds man. He is not nor has ever been into firearms .So he asked me for a recommendation on what type to buy and carry. I told him I like HK's in a 45 or a 40.
He went on his first recovery two night ago with a can of pepper spay and was told to just cover the back door. Anyways the guy wasn't there . but now he says he wants to carry when doing this
type of work.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#1]
i'd say a glock would be good for this kind of work.

I personally carry a Beretta 92 and swear by it, but it can get heavy on the hip after a while
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My friend  has a cousin that owns a bail service ,so he is going to work as a bounty hunter
slash bail bonds man. He is not nor has ever been into firearms .So he asked me for a recommendation on what type to buy and carry. I told him I like HK's in a 45 or a 40.
He went on his first recovery two night ago with a can of pepper spay and was told to just cover the back door. Anyways the guy wasn't there . but now he says he wants to carry when doing this
type of work.

i bet he wants to carry. sheesh.

tell him to get a sig/HK/glock in either 9/40/45

which ever combo he shoots best.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
This will be everything he needs:

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

store.aetv.com/MEDIA/ProductCatalog/m2980006/AAE71745c.jpg

what's he going to do? ugly the perp to death?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Tell him to start watching "DOG: The Bounty Hunter" on A&E Tuesday nights.

What he really needs is a heavyset short girlfriend with a set of EEE canons.

and a Glock 19
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i'd say a glock would be good for this kind of work.

I personally carry a Beretta 92 and swear by it, but it can get heavy on the hip after a while

I will mention a Glock to him also .
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Tell him a Glock 19, any idiot can shoot a Glock.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Any for the most part Sig or H&Kusp fullsize or a Glock21 or my personal pref 1911. I guess if he is a little guy any kind of other Glock or HK compact would do. Also tell him he should consider a hidden back up gun! something very small like a G26 or a G30 or G36subcompact or a revolver on the ankel.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#9]
if he's pro-fesh-un-ul enough, tell him to get a Glock fo-tay
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

store.aetv.com/MEDIA/ProductCatalog/m2980006/AAE71745c.jpg

This took me kinda by surprise when he told me about it. He has been getting only
two or three days of work a week and has a family , so he say's this will be a good way to make some extra money.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#11]
springfeild XD in 9/40/45..if he has smaller hands.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Desert Eagle .50, either shiny, or gold... Dont even use a holster.. just carry it in your hand.
another vote for...
GLOCK!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#13]
got my vote for da deagle or da glock fotay

deagle with a fotay as a back up, but make sure he gets da beamz fo dem gats
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I say go with the GLOCK, anything but a 9mm.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Why do I get the feeling that the idea of some firearms training never crossed his mind?

l_r
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#16]
The tried, and tested 1911, preferably surplus, but one of the GI replicas from Springfieldb, Kahr, or Auto Ordinence should work aswell, you don't need the glitzy aftermarket stuff thats bolted onto most other modern 1911's, or all the "improvements" to the desighn, it will just be more likely to jam or break, the origional has been through 2 World Wars, Korea, Vietnam, and numerouse other conflicts, is still in service with many other countrys, and is a favorite for Special Ops guys, and many SWAT teams use modern versions of it as well....

Alternatively if he thinks theres a chance the bad guys may have body armor, and is willing to compromise on performence to be able to breach armor then the CZ-52....

Both have 7 round magazines, and are about the same size, and wieght, if he wants something smaller or with more capacity then I'de suggest the Glock 21, Glock 30, Springfield XD in .45 ACP, any of the HK USP series in .45 ACP, the HK Mark 23, or for really compact Glock 36, or any other .45 ACP pistol, but he should stay with the better known companys, and proven desighns, preferably with a double stack magazine, and an DA/SA trigger, .45 GAP would probably also be acceptable....

If he still wants to breach armor then the FN Five-Seven, however from what I've seen the balistics on that suck....

But the best choice is really whatever he's most comfortable with, and trains with, this was all just my personel opinion....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:47:33 AM EDT
[#17]
He needs a carbine, either something in 10mm, .45ACP, or 30 carbine.  Id go with a 10mm HK MP5 clone with a beta C mag.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Not true.  I've seen one that couldn't.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:46:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm a bailbonds man, last night I watched Domino at work.

I guess he will have to try some guns out to see whe he likes. I carry a Kimber 1911 .45, but that's just my preference, cause there the best.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:49:07 AM EDT
[#20]
1911... he does want God on his side right?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:27:13 AM EDT
[#21]
The first thing he should do after making a purchase is to get some serious training..The line of work he's dabbling in can get dangerous quick, He needs to be prepared. There some tough SOB's out there and sooner or later he's going to run into one, who is just liable to take his Glock from him and shove it up his ass. Serious training will help considerably, Maybe some place like Thunder ranch...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:48:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

And that’s why he should NEVER take a Glock along. Any idiot can shoot it, like the idiot he’s going to have to tackle and wrestle around with.

The BG is going to try and get away and you can’t just shoot him for running. So that means the Bounty hunter will have to physically capture and restrain the BG. It’s hard to wrestle someone when you have a pistol in your hand. So, for the most part, his firearm is going to remain holstered. And that means it’s likely the BG will try to grab the pistol.

Whatever pistol he gets needs to have a manual safety catch. That way when the bad guy takes the gun away from him he’ll have a few extra seconds to act before the BG can figure out how to fire the thing. I would probably go so far as to carry with the safety on and the chamber empty. The only exception would be if I was designated as overwatch and someone else was going to do the actual capturing.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:03:03 AM EDT
[#23]
12 gauge!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#24]

It sounds like he needs to get some high quality firearms training.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#25]
You said he's not a gun guy. Tell him to get a 4" S&W 686 or Ruger GP100.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#26]
sounds as if training would be better to get before taking on this kind  of job.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm going to go against the grain and make the following suggestion:

You know you are going into situations where a struggle is likely.

Get a 3rd generation S&W auto. You can get 9, 40 or 45 whatever. But these guns offer unique features not found on other weapons. One you can put it on safe and the weapon will not work. Trigger works but no bang.

But the biggest plus is the magazine disconnect saftey. Get in a struggle for your weapon, dump the mag and no bang.

You can find used not abused ones CHEAP. They are good guns.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#28]
HK, Glock, SIG, or Walther in 9/40/45 whatever he feels comfortable with.

I personally like HK (I carry a USP Compact 9mm).

Honestly after reading Bama-Shooter's advice, I would suggest an HK P7M8 (or any P7 model of which there are several). Supposedly, it is supposed to be a lifesaver if somebody else gets a hold of your gun and doesn't know how to work it. It uses a squeeze cocking mechanism and will not fire unless it is properly squeezed.

The P7 will cost a little more but it could be a lifesaver.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

No he really is not a gunguy, but has shot AR'S before but never owned one.
Never into handguns. I mentioned a wheelgun to him but want's some type
of auto.I'm going to take him out shooting with a glock , HK , and 1911
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Since he's not a gun guy, may I recommend him contacting www.defenseassociates.com/ for some basic training. They are in CT & this would be a good foundation for him if he is going to take on the  responsibility of carrying a firearm for defense.

Might I also recommend Bail enforcement training
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Why do I get the feeling that the idea of some firearms training never crossed his mind?

l_r

+1 If he isnt going to practice and learn to use whatever he buys, he would be better off with the pepper spray.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I second that 12ga!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Glock 17 & at least one week's worth of training at a reputable company, such as Blackwater or Thunder Ranch.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#35]
No matter what gun he decieds to get, get his ass to a tactical/fighting/defensive pistol class. It's almost more important then the gun he gets, hell it's probably more important then what type of gun he gets.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I have served many an arrest warrant. I have found that if I wear my tightest poly/wool uniform pants and take 20 seconds to "Chub Up" I can leave my gun in the car. When the bad guys see Im "Packing a Hog Leg" they drop to their knees and beg for mercy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Since he's not a gun guy, may I recommend him contacting www.defenseassociates.com/ for some basic training. They are in CT & this would be a good foundation for him if he is going to take on the  responsibility of carrying a firearm for defense.

Thanks for the links but I'm pretty sure he won't take this training ,at least for now.
I don't know if this will become a full time thing for him or not. He had the connection
to get into this pretty easy by his cousin who has a bailbond service.He told me when he was waiting at the back door that night  was around 1:00 am, his heart was beating 1000 beats a minute.but he said he liked the whole idea of this type of work.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#38]
If he's not willing to train, then he doesn't need a gun.

He'll just end up getting himself or an innocent person killed.

He can stick with the pepper spray if he's not going to listen to logic.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the links but I'm pretty sure he won't take this training ,at least for now.
I don't know if this will become a full time thing for him or not. He had the connection
to get into this pretty easy by his cousin who has a bailbond service.He told me when he was waiting at the back door that night  was around 1:00 am, his heart was beating 1000 beats a minute.but he said he liked the whole idea of this type of work.

Ride his ass to get some training, it could very well save his life or someone elses. Anyone who works in a job where they have to carry a gun that doesn't take training seriously, shouldn't be in that job becuase they are a threat to themselves and thier co-workers. I don't care if it's bountyhunting/bailbonds stuff or LE work. If you don't go get training and you don;t work on the skills outside the job you don't need to be carrying at work.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#41]
An additional note! Connecticut requires licensing
He is best advised to research this in detail before he is the one that needs a bondsman!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
got my vote for da deagle or da glock fotay

deagle with a fotay as a back up, but make sure he gets da beamz fo dem gats

spewing and
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
He is best advised to research this in detail before he is the one that needs a bondsman!

And while he's at it he needs to check and see if the State defines the kind of gun he's allowed to carry.

In Florida, it would be a .38 or 9mm ONLY.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

He has the test and license review in less than a week he said. I 'm sure his cousin will
make sure of all of that
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

+10000
then more TRAINING shouldnt even carry, unless he knows
1. he can pull the trigger
2. he can keep the gun away from a struggling perp

Can a bondsman/recovery agent carry a gun in Conn???
lots of states they cant..
a few a long gun is permissable..
some give them leo props..
but they are all different state to state regardless of federal madates or laws..
i have done 10 or 12 recoveries with a bud who still does it for a living, years ago..
it was usually an easy 100.00,
sometimes you got dirty other times it was a walk in the park.
we even picked up one old boy, in church, in front of his MOM...she was pissed
at HIM
KICKED him in the ass as we were taking him out..
my [experienced with the job] friend took the moms attention, I stuck a .45 in the perps ear and said, HEY,, lets go outside...
cuffed and out the door in 5 min,,preacher never even stopped talking,,

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#46]
He needs to get certified and/or licensed first, by whatever process CT requires.  Then get some GOOD firearms and legal issues/use of deadly force training, regardless of what weapon he chooses.  If he is serious, he should consider insurance and a vest also.

Sounds like he is a casualty waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I'm a bailbonds man, last night I watched Domino at work.

I guess he will have to try some guns out to see whe he likes. I carry a Kimber 1911 .45, but that's just my preference, cause there the best.

+1 on the Kimber 1911 .45

As a bondsman and a tactical weapons trainer, I'd suggest getting the training at a place where he could try several makes/models BEFORE buying his weapon.  Have just seen too many people buy something then, after some training discover its not what they want/need after all.

Bailagent100
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#48]
This whole thread perfectly explains and justifies the reason why the State of Oregon does not have a bail bond system. In Oregon if you are arrested for a crime you may, in most cases pay a 10% security deposit(bail) to the court state courts. If you do not show up for court judges put a felony warrant on your ass and  the warrant is served by the police or sheriff. Everybody is trained to a similar standards and convicted felons as well as the profit motive is removed from the criminal justice system.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I'm going to go against the grain and make the following suggestion:

You know you are going into situations where a struggle is likely.

Get a 3rd generation S&W auto. You can get 9, 40 or 45 whatever. But these guns offer unique features not found on other weapons. One you can put it on safe and the weapon will not work. Trigger works but no bang.

But the biggest plus is the magazine disconnect saftey. Get in a struggle for your weapon, dump the mag and no bang.

You can find used not abused ones CHEAP. They are good guns.

a club owner i know carries a smith for just this reason.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#50]
If he has to ask, I figure he won't be a Bounty Hunter very long. Me thinks he's watched too much Dog - Bounty Hunter.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top