Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 6:52:51 PM EDT
About 4 weeks ago I purchased a 1998 Suburban from a used car lot. I noticed at a cold start it idles alittle rough. So I borrowed an OBD2 scanner from a customer of mine, and pulled the codes. Codes read:
Slow 02 sensor, bank 2 position one.
Miss detected cylinder four
and some code saying something is up with my MAF sensor.

I also noticed that there is no check engine light. So I pulled the cluster out of the dash, and the bulb is literally BURNED THE FUCK OUT. How long does a check engine light need to be on for it to burn out?

Now, my question is, how the fuck did the car pass the emissions test that the dealer gave it with all that stuff in there? The owners manual says that a miss will set off the check engine light. And I'm sure the other two codes would too. Part of the CA emissions test is to verify that the check engine light is functional. Someone obviously fudged the smog and I want the car fixed and resmogged. I'm going to contact the dealer tomorrow and tell him about it. I'm betting that he's going to try and screw me on it. I'm going to threaten reporting him to the BAR. What else should I tell this guy?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell him your wife is a TV reporter and if he doesn't make it right she is prepared to run an expose` on his crooked ass! Then tell him your brother is an attorney and......
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#3]
draw down
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Tell him that you will contact the California Bureau of Automotive Repair.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/stdhome.asp
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, but I think you are screwed.  It's been four weeks since you purchased it, so the dealer will say all of this shit happened after you left the lot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Ummm, its used.

Used vehicles can have issues. Fact of life. Also, bulbs can burn out just by lighting up once.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ummm, its used.

Used vehicles can have issues. Fact of life. Also, bulbs can burn out just by lighting up once.

+1.

Replace the plugs, wires, cap, rotor and MAF sensor.  It should run like new.

The best thing to do after buying a used car is to replace all the fluids and give it a tune up.  You never know how old the fluids are, and how old the plugs, wires, cap and rotor are.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ummm, its used.

+1.

The best thing to do after buying a used car is to replace all the fluids and give it a tune up.  You never know how old the fluids are, and how old the plugs, wires, cap and rotor are.

Already did all of the fluids, plugs and wires. Didn't fix the problem. My whole beef with this is that the smog test was fudged so they could sell it. The check engine light was never working even when I bought the car.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ummm, its used.

+1.

Already did all of the fluids, plugs and wires. Didn't fix the problem. My whole beef with this is that the smog test was fudged so they could sell it. The check engine light was never working even when I bought the car.

I could have failed after you drove it off the lot. Thats the thing about buying a used vehicle. Have you had it smog tested? It could still pass just cause its throwing codes, and idles rough.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I could have failed after you drove it off the lot. Thats the thing about buying a used vehicle. Have you had it smog tested? It could still pass just cause its throwing codes, and idles rough.

In California whenever you sell a vehicle it HAS to have passed an emissions test. Part of the test is a testing to see if the check engine light works. If it doesn't, it'll automatically fail the smog test even if the tailpipe test passed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ummm, its used.

+1.

Part of the CA Smog Test is to verify operation of the 'Check Engine Light'.  It should illuminate for a few seconds after engine start.  If it does not illuminate, the vehicle will not pass the Smog Test checklist.  There is more to the CA Smog Test than the measurement of pollutants at the tailpipe.  Any checklist discrepancy will fail the test.

If you knew the Check Engine Light wasnt working when you bought it, why didnt you say something?

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Part of the CA Smog Test is to verify operation of the 'Check Engine Light'.  It should illuminate for a few seconds after engine start.  If it does not illuminate, the vehicle will not pass the Smog Test checklist.  There is more to the CA Smog Test than the measurement of pollutants at the tailpipe.  Any checklist discrepancy will fail the test.

If you knew the Check Engine Light wasnt working when you bought it, why didnt you say something?

OK answers alot, didnt know about CA smog thing....... But in red, you knew when driving it off the lot, or just didnt pay attention?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#13]
When buying a used car, it is always buyer beware.  I always take used cars to my mechanic before buying.  It's cost me an extra $60 a couple of times, but it could have cost much more had I purchased the cars.

Retaining a lawyer will cost you a lot more than just fixing the problems.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK answers alot, didnt know about CA smog thing....... But in red, you knew when driving it off the lot, or just didnt pay attention?

I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice till the day after. I've also never owned a car this new and was kind in denial after I noticed and just figured it musta been part of that new OBD2 thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top