Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 4:23:19 PM EDT
Just got my welder today...finally,

About how much does it cost to fill a 20cf argon tank now a days?

Matt
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

$87
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it was about $20 for me.  Haven't done any welding in years though.

ETA: This was for the CO2/Ar mix.  I think.  Damn I can't remember shit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#3]
What are you using just argon for?  

Don't you want something like C25?

What are you welding?

I think we pay something like 16-18 for a large C25.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just got my welder today...finally,

Matt

I use C-25 not straight argon.  I think the last time I got a tank filled it was around $35, but I use the big ones that are about 5 feet tall or so.

Two Migs:  Lincoln SP-175 Plus and Century 160 given to me by my BIL and now camped over at a friend's house, it'll probably never darken my garage again....

Merlin
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Das BlammO ünd der Schnitzelvagen checking in!  I don't remember what I paid last time for argon or for CO2, but I do mix my own.    [Edit:  IIRC, the green tank there ran about $25 to fill in Texas.)  The price is probably pretty geographically sensitive -- I know steel in South Texas cost about 45% of what it does in Connect-a-coot.  

(That's my friend welding, not me)
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Das BlammO ünd der Schnitzelvagen checking in!  I don't remember what I paid last time for argon or for CO2, but I do mix my own.    [Edit:  IIRC, the green tank there ran about $25 to fill in Texas.)  The price is probably pretty geographically sensitive -- I know steel in South Texas cost about 45% of what it does in Connect-a-coot.  

www.MetalSchnitzel.com/images/equipment/Schnitzel43FRPlasmaExt_MR.JPG

www.MetalSchnitzel.com/images/equipment/SchnitzelvagenAtWork.JPG

Holy crap that's a cool contraption!  I don't get why the welder is suspended at the end of the arm, why not just run the cables up there?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#7]
MIG welder here, but I prefer TIG.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy crap that's a cool contraption!  I don't get why the welder is suspended at the end of the arm, why not just run the cables up there?

Because the cables aren't long enough.  And if they were, then what would I do with all the fun pneumatics?  It's not about practical -- it's all about the niftiness.    This is verion 4.3.  Version 5 will be self-propelled (hopefully tracked).

BTW, the rear axle is fully suspended with coil-over shocks and control arms of my own design.  The rig also serves as a backup power source for my house.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#9]
That is some nice hardware.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Now that is one sweet rig.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay, maybe I'm off my rocker.  I thought you used Argon with a gas assist MIG.

I got a brand new hobart today for my birth day...yippi but it didnt come with a tank.  So I was tooling around on ebay and thought to pick up a 20cf tank.

Maybe I'm mistaken, its been a while since I had a welder, never a gas shielded one at that though
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#12]
1st:  Happy birthday!

2nd:  The choice of shielding gas is determined by the material you're welding.  For mild steel, the ideal gas is C25, which is 25% CO2 and 75% argon.  The second best is 100% CO2, which is cheap, but doesn't give a clean a weld.

For aluminum (difficult to feed through a regular MIG gun), you'd use pure argon and for stainless, you'd use pure argon, tri-mix or some other mixture.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because the cables aren't long enough.  And if they were, then what would I do with all the fun pneumatics?  It's not about practical -- it's all about the niftiness.    This is verion 4.3.  Version 5 will be self-propelled (hopefully tracked).

BTW, the rear axle is fully suspended with coil-over shocks and control arms of my own design.  The rig also serves as a backup power source for my house.  

Hah... are you a professional welder, or did the first welder you bought lead to you deciding to build that crazy thing?

ETA: Holy shit... I just noticed the electric meter on the side of that thing!  That is over the top!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have to show my dad that contraption!!!

We (actually "he") has a Miller that runs on 220 and a Lincoln 135-SP that runs on 110. Both are nice welders. I've been doing alot of welding this winter with the Lincoln.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#15]
They normally just swap them out unless you have some weird size.  Use the CO2/Argon mix for the best results on steel.  I have done enough mig welding to harm my health with the fumes . Use good ventilation. This can be a problem in the winter.  The dust off of grinder wheels ain't good for you either.  Best to wear a good dust mask.  Get an auto-darkening helmet.  It is easy to bump the trigger on the mig gun and damage your eyes.

rj

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hah... are you a professional welder, or did the first welder you bought lead to you deciding to build that crazy thing?

ETA: Holy shit... I just noticed the electric meter on the side of that thing!  That is over the top!

I'm just a hobbyist, but I have done some work for pay.  It took me a few years to get bitten by the welding bug really bad.  Der Schnitzelvagen contains my second MIG, first of two plasma cutters, and second engine-driven welder.  I also have a Koike optical tracer "robot" and a dual-torch industrial plasma cutter than can slice through 1.25" steel.  I call it my "phased plasma rifle in the 15,000 watt range."  I figure the swirl ring in the torch head makes it a rifle.  

I would like to second rjay's recommendation on the automatic helmet.  They are worth their weight in gold.  You can't replace your eyes once you have burned your retina or caused yourself macular degeneration.

Also, the grinding dust from stainless steel is toxic and the fumes given off by welding galvanized metal are highly toxic.  AVOID THE FUMES when you're working with galvanized steel!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top