Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 2:05:41 PM EDT
I was in a bar the other night and noticed the SOT on the wall behind the counter.

It occured to me that he and I were subject to more or less the same exact regs. So do alcohol and tabacco dealers get their doors kicked over tax errors when they occur?

Do bootleggers of alcohol and cigarettes who traffic non taxed products get their dogs shot and their houses burned down?

I can't even recall an ATF "incident" that involved tabacco or alcohol.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was in a bar the other night and noticed the SOT on the wall behind the counter.

It occured to me that he and I were subject to more or less the same exact regs. So do alcohol and tabacco dealers get their doors kicked over tax errors when they occur?

Do bootleggers of alcohol and cigarettes who traffic non taxed products get their dogs shot and their houses burned down?

I can't even recall an ATF "incident" that involved tabacco or alcohol.

As with so many other bullshit laws, it would be "different" if it wasn't about guns.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
mostly busting still i think but it probly just doesnt make the news.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#3]
YES
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#4]
When you're a gun dealer do you get questioned, fined and even lose your license for "over serviing" someone?  Liqour dealers, specially if they're serving too, go through all kinds of checks and visits from the liqour board.  Are you serving to minors?  Are you serving after hours, have you filled out all the paperwork this month, are you keeping your equipment clean, are you meeting all the health regulations.  Get caught once or complained about, and the constant visits and temporary closures can put you out of business.   Some deserve it, but others just get a bad rep because of their clientele.  A bar owner, like a gun store owner, can't control who walks through the door.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#5]
But, cigarrettes and alcohol don't hurt people if they're mis-used by......uh, never mind.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#6]
They did up till the 1960s or so all the time in the western part of VA.  Both tobacco and hooch was something all made to put some extra coin in the  bag but the Gman did not like not getting his cut so they had cars made to chase hooch runners.  Thats how NASCAR got started for the most part.  Southern hooch runners would get together and race with the toys the used to run moonshine.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#7]
[Brady Bunch] Guns kill 30,000 people every year. [/Brady Bunch]

[American Heart  Association] Cigarettes lead to heart disease and lung cancer and together they kill 1,000,000 people every year. [/American Heart Association]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Guns don't kill people... Moslems do.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
ATF usually leaves the A and T to state level agents. Particuarly the A.

Worked with many ABC agents.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When you're a gun dealer do you get questioned, fined and even lose your license for "over serviing" someone?  Liqour dealers, specially if they're serving too, go through all kinds of checks and visits from the liqour board.  Are you serving to minors?  Are you serving after hours, have you filled out all the paperwork this month, are you keeping your equipment clean, are you meeting all the health regulations.  Get caught once or complained about, and the constant visits and temporary closures can put you out of business.   Some deserve it, but others just get a bad rep because of their clientele.  A bar owner, like a gun store owner, can't control who walks through the door.

If I "serve a minor" I will end up in jail.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I "serve a minor" I will end up in jail.

Yep.

Does the ATF come and check you out if they think you are selling "too many" cigarettes or booze?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I seem to remember something about an ATF  agent who was killed back in Nov in W.Va attempting to arrest an unlicensed liquor distributor/ bootlegger --Ill have to try and find the article but he went to the subjects residence and while entering the home was ambushed by the subject and killed.

BTW --while on the subject I wonder how folks would react if the next time they entered a bar and ordered whatever, if the barkeep handed them a 4473 and a pen --and had to wait for instacheck to clear them before they could be served. Some folks I know would devlop carpal tunnel in a week from all the writing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top