Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2001 8:56:20 AM EDT
I recently purchased a preban Bushmaster CAR (11.5"  barrell w/5" flash suppressor, collapsible stock and A1 sight system.

The rifle is UNFIRED and was sealed in the original box with original sling and magazine. The mag is still in the plastic wrapper and the sling never unfolded!

The rifle oil/grease is dried out so I need to thoroughly clean and lube it..

What is a rifle like this worth unfired? I did contact Bushmaster and found the rifle is in fact a preban..

I paid $1,400.00 for it..

Having owned an Olympic Arms preban HBAR and currently have another Bushmaster postban carbine V-match, I can safely say that Bushmaster is a cut above the rest.. By the way, a red dot scope on a flat top carbine rocks! Target acquisition is immediate, even on moving targets of any speed, and that v-match barrel is a tack driver..

What kind of accuracy can I expect from my new preban CAR15? Should I even fire it?

Link Posted: 8/13/2001 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It's worth about what you paid for it, maybe up to $1600 depending on your locale.

The shorter bbl takes away a lot of the ballistic benefits of the 5.56mm round, but you should expect 1 moa or better accuracy.

I don't believe in keeping late model firearms "unfired" in the hope that they will appreciate in value.  If you want a financial return on an investment, go talk to Merrill Lynch.  In the meantime, have fun with your new carbine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
One of my BM started life from the factory just as you described.  Now, it's an M4gery with an all Colt M4 upper and 4 position collapsible stock.  $1,400 IMHO, for a NIB pre-ban rifle is a decent buy.  As for weapons being or not being an investment, I'll tell you this - most of the items in my safe have appreciated in value since I've acquired them, or at least have not depreciated - it sure has beat the cr@p out of most of the stocks I've invested in over the last year[B)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top