Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 8:10:39 AM EDT
500 prisoners.  Of those, how many are real fighters and deadly enemies and how many just victims of bounty hunters that turned them in because they could?  

The thing is nobody knows enough to make a good guess.  It's like anything else the government does, it gets a life of it's own and is hard to shut down or control.

I'm just not convinced it's being used very well.  Just because there's "only" 500 there doesn't keep it from being a PR problem.

Anyone really care or is it just "shit happens"?

I think they should whittle down the numbers a bit and show they have some common sense about this but maybe they've just decided to stonewall it and only give in when they have to or for a political favor.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you insane or somthing?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Are you insane or something?

No, I think they have the real dangerous ones somewhere else...maybe at Dick Cheney's Hunting Lodge.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
500 prisoners.  Of those, how many are real fighters and deadly enemies and how many just victims of bounty hunters that turned them in because they could?  

The thing is nobody knows enough to make a good guess.  It's like anything else the government does, it gets a life of it's own and is hard to shut down or control.

I'm just not convinced it's being used very well.  Just because there's "only" 500 there doesn't keep it from being a PR problem.

I think they should whittle down the numbers a bit and show they have some common sense about this but maybe they've just decided to stonewall it and only give in when they have to or for a political favor.

Invite them over to your house for tea and crumpets and then let us know how it all works out...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#4]
It's all Bush's fault.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#5]
why do you think "500" is too great of a number?

i've always felt they let too many go.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:41:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Show who they have some common sense?  The liberal fucktards who have nothing better to do than feel sorry for people and situations they have no ability to comprehend?

Maybe, just maybe, there are 500 lunatics down there in Gitmo who would take great pleasure in cutting your throat because you were born in a country they don't like.

Wake up.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well what's a good number for you sweetcheeks?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Who really knows.  500 could be way too few, if they were truly dangerous.  I'm just pointing out that it will be our legacy to deal with eventually, like the Japanese Relocation Camps (and those people didn't actually DO anything, nor were they accused of doing anything).

There's an article in the news today that got me thinking of this.  

www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/columnist/0,1299,DRMN_86_105,00.html

I probably won't lose any sleep over it but then no one lost any sleep over stuff like this until we actually found out what was going on.

To paraphrase Reagan, "Sure, I trust my leaders but I can't verify why".
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#9]
We have a lease for $4000.00 in gold per year for eternity, may as well use it for something.  If they escape, they have to cross a mile of minefields and then they will be in a majority Catholic country with no love of muslims.  They are not in the US of A and cannot claim any immigration status.  They are removed from their home country.

It is as good a place as any to stack trash.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#10]
They are getting better than they deserve. It's company policy
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well what's a good number for you sweetcheeks?

Ah, the deep thinking and clever ad hominem.

I'm thinking of this in terms of the war on terror being an insurgency and a war for the hearts and minds, although I think history does have some examples of brute force and slaughter working so I'm not one to rush to judgment.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
"What's the benefit of having Gitmo?"

Well, for starters, anything that upsets Fidel can't be all bad...

It is also a good place for ugly women to go and still get laid.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who really knows.  500 could be way too few, if they were truly dangerous.  I'm just pointing out that it will be our legacy to deal with eventually, like the Japanese Relocation Camps (and those people didn't actually DO anything, nor were they accused of doing anything).

There's an article in the news today that got me thinking of this.  

www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/columnist/0,1299,DRMN_86_105,00.html

I probably won't lose any sleep over it but then no one lost any sleep over stuff like this until we actually found out what was going on.

To paraphrase Reagan, "Sure, I trust my leaders but I can't verify why".

Oh, some spineless, meally mouthed, libtard professor got you thinking about it, huh.  Nah, these fucking clowns have no agenda and I question the intelligence of anyone who listens to anything they have to say.

To compare these to the Japanese relocation camps is absurd.  You even mentioned the difference.  Have you read about how several that have been released from there have shown up on the battlefield again and those were the lesser ones.

This idiot compared the Nazi camps to Gitmo:

The only difference between the Gulag and Guantanamo is the scale of the crime

and you didn't immediately see the agenda?  This is what made you think about it?  Oh please!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

and you didn't immediately see the agenda?  This is what made you think about it?  Oh please!

Careful reader that you are I'm sure you're wondering why you thought a gulag was a NAZI camp.

Hey, this guy writes a column that occasionally appears in our local conservative rag.  It doesn't make him a conservative by any means.

Actually it's kind of interesting to see that the majority that have responded think it's not a problem or even a PR issue of any importance.  50 years of ass-kicking by the Israelis doesn't seem to have calmed the situation down there so I guess that leaves some room for discussions about effective methods.

If I had the answers I wouldn't be asking any questions, I'd just sit there smugly doing some sudoku puzzles, easy ones of course.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I want to whittle down the number of  prisoners also.  Military tribunal, and if found guilty, execution.  Simple plan really.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Prisoners don't just get picked up or turned in by "bounty hunters" and set to Gitmo. It takes a good while and a good amount of working thier way up through a series of steps to get there. If they are there a lot of people had good reason to believe it was to our benifit to have them there.

That said, the enemy here knows about Gitmo.... and they don't like the idea of going. I have no doubt it has made more than a few cooperate before they made it there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Foreign terrorists are occupying cells American infidels won't take.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#19]

What's the benefit of having Gitmo?  

Gives the Liberals something to bitch about.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Show who they have some common sense?  The liberal fucktards who have nothing better to do than feel sorry for people and situations they have no ability to comprehend?

Maybe, just maybe, there are 500 lunatics down there in Gitmo who would take great pleasure in cutting your throat because you were born in a country they don't like.

Wake up.

Even lunatics deserve a day in court to answer the charges against them, and Gitmo exists entirely to deny them that day.
This is setting a very bad precedent.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Becuase getting all pertinent information and capping them in the head went out of style as society got weaker and more civilized!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wake up.

Even lunatics deserve a day in court to answer the charges against them, and Gitmo exists entirely to deny them that day.
This is setting a very bad precedent.

Yeah, your boy Bubba would have done so much better.

A dangerous prededent?  Apparently, you don't recall POW camps during WWII.

Since when do combatants get a day in court?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Careful reader that you are I'm sure you're wondering why you thought a gulag was a NAZI camp.

Hey, this guy writes a column that occasionally appears in our local conservative rag.  It doesn't make him a conservative by any means.

Actually it's kind of interesting to see that the majority that have responded think it's not a problem or even a PR issue of any importance.  50 years of ass-kicking by the Israelis doesn't seem to have calmed the situation down there so I guess that leaves some room for discussions about effective methods.

If I had the answers I wouldn't be asking any questions, I'd just sit there smugly doing some sudoku puzzles, easy ones of course.

A gulag was NOT a Nazi camp?  You still don't see his agenda?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

gulags were courtesy of the USSR (and killed way more russians than concentration camps killed Jews)
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

gulags were courtesy of the USSR (and killed way more russians than concentration camps killed Jews)

Okay, my bad.  Still, comparing Gitmo to anything the Soviets or Nazis ever did is ludicrous and idiotic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top