Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2006 7:48:32 AM EDT
Well,  I'll try to keep this simple.  I've been planning on moving out of NY for some time how, and even moved to Florida, to realize I really hate the place personally.  I pretty much decided on Grand Junction, Colorado, but have been having second thoughts, mainly due to the inability to buy a house on some property, affordably( 1-3 acres), and the low paying jobs in relation to the R/E prices.  

The states that I'm pretty much considering are (Not in any particular order):

Tennessee
Colorado
South Carolina
Virginia

Things that are an important factors to me:

Jobs:  THere should be a decent amount of jobs, and well paying.  My plans are to relocate and get a job, and later open/buy a business.  Need good paying jobs to give people money to spend.

Climate:  I like a places that the sun shines, low humidity, and not too extreme high/low temps.  I'd prefer a cold spell instead of 2-3 months of heat and humidity.

Cost of Living:  I'd like to be able to buy a house on some property ( more acres, the better!!!) for around/under $250K.  $150K would be real nice.  Low taxes are also a must.

Location:  I like outdoors, and "exploring".  Mountains are better than the water for me.  I'd also like to be within 200 miles of a major city ( I'm still single, and would like the possibility of meeting a good woman).  Grand Junction is great for this, but I guess coming from the east coast, It's rather strange not having "woods" and "trees".

Some other factors that are equally important are the gun laws, and the politics of the state.  The above states are probably the top states that fit my criteria, I guess what I'm asking is for people that live in these ares to give me some feedback.

Thanks

John
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#1]
From your choices I would go with Tennessee
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Low cost of living and affordable land, you gotta go with TN.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well,  I'll try to keep this simple.  

Location:  I like outdoors, and "exploring".  Mountains are better than the water for me.  I'd also like to be within 200 miles of a major city ( I'm still single, and would like the possibility of meeting a good woman).  Grand Junction is great for this, but I guess coming from the east coast, It's rather strange not having "woods" and "trees".

Thanks

John

Colorado is hands down the most beautiful state I have ever seen. That being said, it is certainly not a cheaper state to live in.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Out of the states you mentioned, I'd go with Eastern TN or Northwestern SC.  Both have mountain lakes and a reasonable cost-of-living.  Southwestern NC would be my first choice, but that's not on your list.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you like convenient government services then do not come here.

If you like any government serviced above the bare minimum do not come here.

Every year we have folks come down here from up north who have been taxed to death, taxed stupid, that want our taxes raised.

They see that we don't have as nice of government services or as many services as they do up north and they say. Well you guys don't have any income tax and if you had a small one all of these government services and programs will improve.

Well the natives don't want any more government programs or service, we don't want better schools either, and we sure as hell do not want an income tax.

So if you come down here accept this place for what it is. Do not try to "improve" or change this place in any manner.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I like that there are no income taxes, except from income from investments.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Out of the states you mentioned, I'd go with Eastern TN or Northwestern SC.  Both have mountain lakes and a reasonable cost-of-living.  Southwestern NC would be my first choice, but that's not on your list.

I've heard/read that NC is slanting to the liberal side ( Probable because of all the wacko people from the Northeast moving there).  Also, the gun laws, how are they?  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard/read that NC is slanting to the liberal side ( Probable because of all the wacko people from the Northeast moving there).  Also, the gun laws, how are they?  

Land prices are alot higher in NC. From what I know the gun laws are better in TN.

Again overall, TN is the best choice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ditto!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every year we have folks come down here from up north who have been taxed to death, taxed stupid, that want our taxes raised.

They see that we don't have as nice of government services or as many services as they do up north and they say. Well you guys don't have any income tax and if you had a small one all of these government services and programs will improve.

Well the natives don't want any more government programs or service, we don't want better schools either, and we sure as hell do not want an income tax.

So if you come down here accept this place for what it is. Do not try to "improve" or change this place in any manner.

+1

Georgis has the highest taxes in the south because of all the Damned Yankees that want it "Just like we did it in Nooo Yolk Shitty"
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#11]
If I were you, I'd go to Alaska, I lived there for a while and loved it, and am thinking about going back. Not only are taxes non existant in Alaska (except for Federal taxes, of course), they actually pay you to live there. It does get cold in the winter, but it is VERY nice in the summer. To top it all off, the gun laws in AK are also pretty much non-existant.....it's a great place, check it out
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Denver has the most sunny days per year.

I think... but no one really wants to live in Denver.

Whoa, shit I just read Grand Junction.

Not too bad over there.  Its in a valley, holds a pretty moderate temperature... at least for Colorado.

You'd have Sportsman's Warehouse for guns, St. Mary's for when you fall down the stais...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Georgis has the highest taxes in the south because of all the Damned Yankees that want it "Just like we did it in Nooo Yolk Shitty"

Well, I'm walking away from all that a union job making great money because I hate it all.  $83/hr isn't enough to keep me here and put up with the politics, people, congestion, weather, costs, etc.  The list goes on and on
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:14:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beautiful statement!
Not to say "shootemup" will do this, BUT  most of the time a person moves to get away from where they live, they bring their politcal ideas from where they came.

Now 3 of the 4 are a NO-GO due to humidity.
Tenn, seems like a good choice.
But Davy Crockett left there for a reason Just kidding.
Move yourself, family, bring yer guns, but LEAVE THE NY ATTITUDE up north, we dont want that shit down here!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If I were you, I'd go to Alaska, I lived there for a while and loved it, and am thinking about going back. Not only are taxes non existant in Alaska (except for Federal taxes, of course), they actually pay you to live there. It does get cold in the winter, but it is VERY nice in the summer. To top it all off, the gun laws in AK are also pretty much non-existant.....it's a great place, check it out

I went there on a cruise.  I do think it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been ( Next to Italy ), but one thing that really left an impression on me was the sun, or lack thereof.  I went in Nov, so maybe that was a bad time....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#16]
No $83/hr jobs in the south.  Without extensive skills and experience and network contacts, you will be lucky to find $15/hr (no benefits).

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Sorry, Tn is full.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Massachusetts?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Move to New Hampshire, great gun laws and low taxes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#21]
WVa meets your needs, I think. Except for the jobs probably....what do you do?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I went there on a cruise.  I do think it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been ( Next to Italy ), but one thing that really left an impression on me was the sun, or lack thereof.  I went in Nov, so maybe that was a bad time....

Yeah, but then you get a lot of night fire training Personally, thats where I'd go
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Virginia is full.  Sorry.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, with the influx of retirees from the North, but the mountain region is another nation.  We are still pretty much conservative except for the city of Asheville and Boone.  I'm 20 minutes south of Asheville and my county went 65% Republican in the 2004 election.  The liberals rather live far, far away in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area of the state.  I'm fine with the NC gun laws, but I used to live in Maryland.  So, NC is the "wild west" compared to MD.  I don't know about the NC state income tax.  I'm a retired Fed and NC has a deal where my total retirement income is untaxed.  The July highs in my area is normally high 70s to low 80s.  Last summer, we had only 3 days of 90 or above temps.  So far this winter, we've had a total snowfall amount of 1.4" but 15" is normal.  The normal January high is 46 F.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#25]
<------------------------------

Gun friendly, good hunting and fishing, temperate weather, fine southern women, biscuits and gravy, cheap taxes, lots of jobs.

Former California resident happy to be here instead of there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, as a life long resident of georgia, I think  I can safely say that pretty much anywhere in the deep south will be fine. Try to stay out of the big urban areas like atlanta, birmingham, miami, new orleans and other similar sized cites and you should do fine.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Move to New Hampshire, great gun laws and low taxes.

NH is ranked #49 (2nd lowest) in overall tax burden out of the fifty states.

Effective State and Local Tax Burdens

The ten lowest taxed states and their ranking:

Alabama - 46
Alaska - 50
Delaware - 48
Florida - 44
Tennessee - 47
Texas - 43
South Dakota - 45
Missouri - 41
New Hampshire - 49
North Dakota - 42

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm moving out of Nj in about 6 months.  I'm still debating where to go.  I own a construction company.  I know in Tenn land is really cheap and theres lots of it, but is construction booming?

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I will second this. The mountains of East TN and western NC meet all your criteria. Mild summers, mild winters, plenty of area to explore. TN cost of living is lower than NC, and I really like the area around Johnson City TN even though I live in western NC.

Personally, I would suggest looking at the Johnson City area, and I happen to really like the community around Erwin TN. Small town, yet close enough to Johnson City for anything you need, a range on the National Forest right down the road. And land prices are lower than Western NC, no state income tax, and while the sales tax is higher than NC you are close enough to Asheville for monthly shopping trips.

What kind of jobs are you hunting?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I'm moving out of Nj in about 6 months.  I'm still debating where to go.  I own a construction company.  I know in Tenn land is really cheap and theres lots of it, but is construction booming?

I would defntly say Western NC is booming for construction a lot more than East TN.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would defntly say Western NC is booming for construction a lot more than East TN.

Why would you say this?  I think the coastal areas are more desireable than the inland states?

Is the economy in worse shapre in TN?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'd have to agree.

In terms of jobs, Virginia wins, but it's anything but cheap, and the humidity can be brutal.

ETA: Oh, how I wish I could live in Colorado!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#34]
+1 for Colorado.  

I've traveled to all places you mention, and love Colorado more than the others.  It's not as cheap as some of the other choices though...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would you say this?  I think the coastal areas are more desireable than the inland states?

The economy is not worse in east TN, but Western NC is growing heavily in tourism, retirement, and summer homes for retirees from Florida. That is the source of most of the new construcion.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The economy is not worse in east TN, but Western NC is growing heavily in tourism, retirement, and summer homes for retirees from Florida. That is the source of most of the new construcion.

Land and housing are sky high in that region of NC. Very expensive.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#37]
I moved from NY in July; actually been in MN since the end of Feb..so I guess I've been here a year now.

I grew up right next to West Point in NY; spent the last 10-12 years living in/around NYC (north NJ, in Manhattan, etc), and then moved out here to escape the bullshit of living around a major city.

Personally, I love MN, so far. Already got my carry permit. No ban crap here, etc. It's great.

Downsides are that it gets bloody cold here in winter...and like you, I grew up in mountains, in woods and forest. Not that I hiked much, but it was always..there. I could always walk in any direction in 10 minutes and be so surrounded by trees, I couldn't hear a car go by or a horn honk. Being out here...it's very flat. Not much in the way of woods where I am (about 40 miles west of the twin cities).  There's tons of lakes around here. Not that I fish, but if I ever decide I want to..well, I know I'll be able to, and actually eat what I catch.

It's a little weird being able to look out my back deck and clearly see houses a mile or two away...but it's starting to grow on me, so long as no other houses drop in

Politically..well, the area I'm in is somewhat liberal; largly because Garrison Kielor used my town to base his Lake Woebegone stuff/Prairie Home Companion radio show on. Wish I had known that before I moved here, but it's still nice. The twin cities are the liberal bastion of the state, pretty much. Moving out to where I am, it gets politically conservative in a hurry. Hell, a local radio station's giveaway for christmas was a Remington in 7MM.  That's something you probably won't get in NY. The only reason this state turns blue during election time is because of the twin cities. The state isn't very populated, with the bulk of it being in or around Minneapolis/St. Paul. They go blue, the rest of the state goes red...yet oddly the state as a whole goes blue. Ah well.

Cost of living is good. Once you get outside the cities prices return to normal (gas, for instance, is a full quarter cheaper at my local place, than it is at the station next to work, in the cities area.) Lots of infrastructure buildup outside the cities, lots of housing going up. Still lots of farm and ranch land, too. I can step outside my door and if I walk in almost any direction for 10 minutes, I'll either be standing in a cow patty or looking at a horse. To me, this is a good thing. Downside is the local grocery store is..woefully stocked, compared to the plethora of choices I am used to, living in/near a major city. I wind up having to drive 20 or so miles to a Super Walmart, just to get Diet Coke.

Oh, and forget about getting good pizza, good bagels, or finding a good hot dog anywhere. They cook the pizza crispy here, a thin crust, and cut it like it's a Sicilian pie..even when it's not one.  Bagels here are basically Wonder Bread, with poppy seeds on it. Sushi? Forget it unless you want to pay. Spicy tuna rolls back home, $5 TOPS, for uber fresh stuff. Here, for $5, you'll get days-old, frozen, thawed, prepared, frozen again, and shipped rolls. Not saying it's bad, just saying it's a totally different league.

Yah, there are some flaws. They aren't enough to make me regret, or even re-consider, the move here. Here, I can go to a local gunstore and walk out with a new 1911, after doing the 4473. I can buy a brand new AR15, with a collapsing stock, threaded muzzle, flash supressor, and bayonet lug on it..no waiting, and no pre-ban anything. I can leave my house armed and feel comfortable because I know most of my neighbors do the exact same thing.  

Oh, a word on speed limits: People here take them seriously. When the speed limit is 55, expect to never go faster than 53 if you're in/behind traffic.  I already have two speeding tickets One for 17 over (72 in a 55) and one for 12 over (again, 72..but in a 60). Same fee for both. When I was getting my 2nd ticket dismissed (speed limit changed to 70 less than 1/4 a mile up the road, the sign was RIGHT THERE, and I was scuttling out of the way of a nasty merge anyway), I heard a guy come up and ask about his ticket, because he was actually ticketed for doing 10 over. Where I'm from, that's alien..10 over, that's just stupid to be pulled over for...but here, I guess, they do it.  Just be aware..wherever you go, the cops might take speeding differently than they did back in NY. (Passing a speed trap doing 80 on the NY Thruway was relativly safe, so long as you're not weaving around in traffic...with the limit being 65, that is..never got pulled over for it.)

YMMV...don't NOT consider a state due to climate. Unless you spend the bulk of your time outside, it shouldn't matter more than the trip from the car to any building your heading too.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Go to VA very nice country , Lots of mountains and trees , alot of peace and quiet
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Sushi? Forget it unless you want to pay. Spicy tuna rolls back home, $5 TOPS, for uber fresh stuff. Here, for $5, you'll get days-old, frozen, thawed, prepared, frozen again, and shipped rolls. Not saying it's bad, just saying it's a totally different league.

YMMV...don't NOT consider a state due to climate. Unless you spend the bulk of your time outside, it shouldn't matter more than the trip from the car to any building your heading too.

Tell me about it.  The ONLY thing I'll miss from NY is the EXCELLENT variety and quality of food establishments.  I don't think you realize it until you leave.  I don't eat out much, but when I do I guess I have high expectations.

As far as the climate goes, I feel that is is just as equal a factor as anythign else, if so moreso.  I do like to Ski and mountainbike, and also I'm into motorcycles, so maybe it's more important in my situation.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Whereever you go can you take me with you?

I don't want to live in a state where the next most likely govenors running mate suggested a bill that would require police officers to 'shoot to wound' () only allowing them to shoot for the legs or arms of a criminal.

I REALLY need to get out of this state! Just need to go somewhere with some really good lakes to go sailing on in a small sailboat (sunfish) Dunno if I could leave the beautiful finger lakes region without something equally as good.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Shootemup, you are in construction IIRC, no?  You would make a killing here on the Western Slope of CO.  As far as food goes, there are TONS of great places to eat out at, or you could hire a private chef so you can dine in class at home  I've lived all over, and CO is my favorite state in the nation, so much to do here!

--VT
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Shootemup, you are in construction IIRC, no?  You would make a killing here on the Western Slope of CO.  As far as food goes, there are TONS of great places to eat out at, or you could hire a private chef so you can dine in class at home  I've lived all over, and CO is my favorite state in the nation, so much to do here!

--VT

Hey, where are you at?  IIRC you are about 60 minutes east of GJ?

The reason I ask is I'll be needing shooting bud's
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Yep, about 60 minutes east of GJ.  C'mon up, there are literally thousands of acres to shoot on out here.  There are a bunch of great ranges in the area too.  The West is the best.

--VT

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#44]
The more i think about moving out of NJ the more i reason that it really doesn't matter where i move to as long as its out of NJ.  In a couple of months, once i get some more money together, i will take a road trip through the deep south and where ever i find some land i like i'll move to that state.   I don't think anyone could go wrong with any of the deep south states.  I guess for most people it just depends where they find a good job.  Since i own a construction company when i move i am just going to build houses.  So basically i can move almost anywhere since people need places to live in any state.  I do quality work, so even if i am in a place with a not so great market, i belive my houses will sell.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Virginia is full.  Sorry.

Yep,  keep moving, nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will second this. The mountains of East TN and western NC meet all your criteria. Mild summers, mild winters, plenty of area to explore. TN cost of living is lower than NC, and I really like the area around Johnson City TN even though I live in western NC.

Personally, I would suggest looking at the Johnson City area, and I happen to really like the community around Erwin TN. Small town, yet close enough to Johnson City for anything you need, a range on the National Forest right down the road. And land prices are lower than Western NC, no state income tax, and while the sales tax is higher than NC you are close enough to Asheville for monthly shopping trips.

What kind of jobs are you hunting?

I'll end up either starting a business, or buying an existing one.

I've checked out realtor.com and land seems cheap, alot cheaper than what I'm looking at in western colorado.

I'm going to plan a drive to the states I'm considering on the east cost, so I can make a educated decision.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#47]
This is a decent web site for checking prices too.

www.homesandland.com/MapSearchReturn.cfm?Map=NC1&Parent=NC,USCAN
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#48]
I like SC and VA a lot.  If I could live around Charlottesville or Lexington VA that would be great.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Greenville or Spartanburg, South Carolina.

Within 2 hours of Charlotte, Atlanta and Columbia.  3 1/2 hours to the beach and less than an hour to the mountians (western NC).  A lot of buisness growth and fairly transplant friendly, yet still has the feel of a southern city...unlike R/D/RTP area.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top