Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 7:40:42 AM EDT
On 27th Feb. 1991 2nd Brigade opened the 24th Inf. Division's main attack opened with a enormous artillery barrage by 3/41 FA Bn. and 212th FA Brigade (5 arty batts.) from 0500-0600.
Jalibah airfield was then assualted by TF 1-64 armor, TF 3-69 armor and TF 3-15 Inf. By 1000 hrs Jalibah was sercured.  2,000 enemy soilders were killed/wounded/captured, 80 AA guns and a tank battalion was destroyed as well as twenty aircraft and helicopters.  
(The Victory Book, 24th Inf. Div. (M). Operation Desert Shield /Desert Storm)

Hard to believe its been 15 years since that morning. Here's some pics of that day.

Here's Jalibah during the attack, you can see the hangers and parts of the airfield burning.

Here is a closer picture of the airfield.

A burning Mig 23.

Here I am with a captured AK. To bad I couldn't bring it home.

This picture appeared in several magazines at the time. The guys in it are Sgt. Ken Kozakiewicz (with his arm in sling), Spec. Micheal Tsangarakis (bandaged eyes) and Spec.  Andy Alaniz who was KIA. These guys were in 2nd Platoon Charlie Co. 3/15 Inf. I was in 3rd Platoon and these guys were friends. Picture gives me chills to this day.

My company ( C Co. 3/15 Inf) lost 2 KIA and 18 WIA that day. It has now been 15 years and it stills seems like yesterday.

In Memory of :

Andy Alaniz
John Hutto

KIA, 27th Feb. 1991, Jalibah Iraq.

You are gone, but not forgotten. Till we meet again at the final formation in the sky.

In Flanders Field the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow. I cant believe its been 15 years.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Jesus, I remember those pictures from when I was a kid.

We turned that place into LSA Viper during OIF I. I don't think anyone ever went back to it after you guys were finished. It was weeks before the EOD guys were finished blowing up all of the UXO from the battle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wow. I cant believe its been 15 years.

yea, and my Dad ( a Vietnam vet), says the older you get the faster it goes. On a side note, him and some buddies are planning a trip back to Vietnam after seeing the show where R. Lee went back. I told him I had enough memories to last me a lifetime and I didn't have a desire to ever see the Middle East again.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Sir, thank you for your service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top