Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 4:27:58 AM EDT
I dont want this for drinking. I like to marinate steaks in bourbon, but half an hour seems to be the max for it. Anything longer and the steak starts getting a strong alchohol taste. I was wondering if there is any quality bourbon that is under 80 proof to get more bourbon taste with less alchohol.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:35:28 AM EDT
[#1]
All they do to cut the proof is add water.  You can do the same.  You could also condense the bourbon by letting it sit our in a glass for several hours to allow some evap. of the liquid and then add your water.  That is just a guess on my part.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:50:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe if you simmer the bourbon for a few minutes, some of the alcohol will burn off, and you will be left with a more concentrated bourbon flavor. Then you can use that for the marinade.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you just dropping the steaks into straight bourbon? I usually cut it with some oil & L&P sauce plus a few spices and garlic. How long are you letting it soak?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:58:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I let it soak for half an hour. I once fell asleep during this process for 3 hours! I ate the steak, but it was defiantely not good!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Are you just dropping the steaks into straight bourbon?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Just marinate yourself with the booze...all a good steak really needs is a little salt & pepper.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
All they do to cut the proof is add water.  You can do the same.  You could also condense the bourbon by letting it sit our in a glass for several hours to allow some evap. of the liquid and then add your water.  That is just a guess on my part.  

+1.

Adding water is how the proof of bourbon is managed by the distiller. It comes out of the aging cask at 120+ proof, and water is added to bring the proof down to whatever level the distiller is looking for.

If you are interested, give Booker's Bourbon a try. It is bottled at cask strength, and can be 125 proof.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top