Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 11:59:35 PM EDT
Would this be more of a "family values" issue or would it be considered "diversity"?

Immigrant raids net Cape Cod Brazilians
PATRICK CASSIDY
STAFF WRITER
2-24-06
www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/immigrantraids24.htm
HYANNIS - A series of raids and arrests over the past week by federal agents and Barnstable police have rattled the nerves of local Brazilian immigrants.

Agents from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detained 10 people on several immigration violations while searching for three men wanted on outstanding warrants of removal - an order requiring an individual to leave the country.

Local Brazilians believe the raids stem from the arrests of two Brazilian men on Feb. 3.

The men allegedly urinated and spit in coffee served to customers - particularly police officers - at the Dunkin' Donuts on North Street. The pair no longer work at the doughnut shop.

''Some people do bad things and we pay now. Everywhere we have bad people and everywhere we have good people,'' said Fladia Wilbert, a Brazilian immigrant who has been in the United States for six years and knew some of the people detained in the raids.

Michael Gilhooly, the Northeast regional communications director for ICE, could not confirm whether the coffee-tampering suspects were among those arrested in the raids.

''When we're seeking several fugitives, as we were, and we happen upon other people breaking immigration laws, we are not going to release them. We are going to arrest them,'' he said in a telephone interview yesterday.

Although their names do not exactly match those of the men arrested on Feb. 3, two of the men detained by federal agents were the same men who worked at Dunkin' Donuts, according to sources.

Jose Rodrigues, Manoel Da Silva and Giliarde Martins-Pereira were the men arrested on outstanding warrants during the raids, said Gilhooly, who added that Rodrigues and Da Silva also face charges brought by Barnstable police.

Police records indicate Rodrigo Rodrigues and Junior Da Silva are the two Dunkin' Donuts employees charged with distributing food intended or expected to cause injury.

Jose Rodrigues and Martins-Pereira were arrested during raids in Hyannis and Da Silva was taken into custody in Florida yesterday morning.

Barnstable police did not say yesterday whether they had contacted immigration officials about the Dunkin' Donuts case.

João, a Brazilian immigrant who said he was arrested during a 5 a.m. raid Tuesday at a Hyannis home, said he was deeply troubled by the alleged coffee tampering and the immigration raids.

''This is a very ugly thing,'' said João, who declined to give his last name.

Police and immigration agents knocked down the door to the house and placed João and his two roommates under arrest, according to the 39-year-old Brazilian immigrant. João said he and eight other detainees were taken to Boston, where half of them were released after being required to appear in court at a future date.

Barnstable police also arrested five men this week for using fake Brazilian driver's licenses. All of them were initially pulled over for traffic violations. Two of the men allegedly told police they bought the licenses for $100 and $120.

The last large immigration sweep on Cape Cod took place in September 2002, when 35 Brazilian nationals were arrested in early-morning raids by what was then the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

There are an estimated 15,000 to 18,000 Brazilian immigrants living on Cape Cod, according to leaders in the Brazilian community.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:11:12 AM EDT
[#1]
its just a local custom, nothing to see here......move along.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#2]
You have to be crazy to get food in uniform if you`re a LEO. Same for the idiots who thinks it`s funny to jerk around while ordering food from the intercom drive through. Those ppl no doubt eat lots of boogers!

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:24:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Great, next time I'm in Cape Cod I'm going to be worrying about friggin Brazilians spitting in my coffee.

What's Portuguese for "Go back to your country!"?

- BG
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Guess who's making YOUR food when YOU eat out
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Mexicans.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Great, next time I'm in Cape Cod I'm going to be worrying about friggin Brazilians spitting in my coffee.

- BG

(In a loud and slow manner)

You'a go'a Home'a.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Hope it`s not the wing hunter dude...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:38:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mexicans.

Illegals........about HALF the illegals are from mexico
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:16:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mexicans.

Illegals........about HALF the illegals are from mexico

Racist! It`s undocumented cooks, just peeing and spitting in food Americans are too lazy to do themselves.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:27:41 AM EDT
[#10]
That article is full of balanced and fair reporting - and why are los federales arresting the immigrants? Not once did I see the words "illegal" or "undocumented". My bet is that they're just racist ...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:14:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

(In a loud and slow manner)

You'a go'a Home'a.

That'sa Italian'a
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

heard these places were pretty good.  A friend (USMC) raves about one in Long Beach.

www.fogoebrasa.com/
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#14]
One of the members here advised me to pass on 7.62 milsurp made in countries where they piss in the water supply. I guess if the Brazilians piss in the coffee I should write that country off.

Whew! Just checked my bottle of Cachaca. No tinge.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

heard these places were pretty good.  A friend (USMC) raves about one in Long Beach.

www.fogoebrasa.com/

One of the best, and one of my favorite restaurants in Houston is Churrasco's (Brazilian)
I just hope they don't have any LAWLESS ILLEGAL ALIENS PEEING IN THE FOOD
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mexicans.

A Mexican makes my food when I eat in!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Isn't the Cape a rather pricey place to live? How can these guys afford to live there?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#18]
They're just pissing in the coffee of cops because no Americans will do it.....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

- BG

Depends on how rude or direct you want to be:

Va' embora! (go away)

Volte para o seu pais! (go back to your country)

Saia daqui! (leave/get out of here)

Suma daqui! (disappear)

Saia e nao volte! (leave and don't come back)

Any other requests/questions? FWIW the plague of food tampering as seen in the US is something I have never seen in Brazil.  Bottomline: you screw up and lose your job, there is no guarantee you'll get another.  Also no welfare system to mooch off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top