Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 9:17:18 PM EDT
I a incident that started with a domestic complaint, a man has retreated into his home and may have fired a shot.
I am listening on the scanner and many details are in the clear. From the victim suspect has 3 long guns and three pistols. Then the shocker one of the long guns is said to a AK-47.
Now for the sad part, there is two small dogs inside.
Listening the home also has cams. mounted outside, and the police are talking about taking out the cams. and exterior lights with a pepper launcher (paint ball gun). Dispatch just now came back with info that on a previous run card it was noted that the resident has night vision equipment.
SWAT is calling for the armored truck to stage.
This don't sound like they are doing much talking.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard for me to think of an AK as a 'long' gun.....they are pretty small.
This will end badly for the guy inside. I take these stories with a grain of salt.....consider the source! The media just reports what gets ratings, reality is secondary at best.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hard for me to think of this as news or exciting...   I could not guess the number of LE involved hostile situations happening(ed) across the country within the last 5 hours.

Edit: missed the scanner. you live there... it is big news for you.   Wait tuntil they go to ProvoiceEDACs  

Indiana forum next time
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree about the 'long gun'
Now of this is from the media, this is what is on the scanner right now.
They have now called for the power company, a ambulance and a fire squad to stage at their command post.
Oh great the news idiots are trying to sneek up to the house, a unidentified voice keyed and said pepper em.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the ~AK-47~ is a SKS
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Or a 10/22 with "banana clips."
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It usually is
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

"long gun" in Cop speak is any shoulder fired firearm.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep us posted, my scanner doesn't pick up signals that far
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quick, hide your dog!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Badseed
that is why I was excited, they have the EDACS system and this is in the clear
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Single shot fired inside the house? (if so he probably offed himself).
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I a incident that started with a domestic complaint, a man has retreated into his home and may have fired a shot.
I am listening on the scanner and many details are in the clear. From the victim suspect has 3 long guns and three pistols. Then the shocker one of the long guns is said to a AK-47.
Listening the home also has cams. mounted outside, and the police are talking about taking out the cams. and exterior lights with a pepper launcher (paint ball gun). Dispatch just now came back with info that on a previous run card it was noted that the resident has night vision equipment.
SWAT is calling for the armored truck to stage.
This don't sound like they are doing much talking.

Before negotiators begin doing their thing the area has be secured and all resources established. Once thats done, then its sit wait and talk.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Nope he been moving around and has shined a flashlight out the window so no he hasent offed himself yet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This will end badly for the guy inside. I take these stories with a grain of salt.....consider the source! The media just reports what gets ratings, reality is secondary at best.

The "... listening on a scanner..." part, the fact that it's live, and the fact that it's after midnight there, all lead me to believe he's not getting this from the media.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Another interesting item
This guy must have been expecting  trouble, they just called back that the windows have chicken wire top to bottom, the voices from the local guys sound pretty tense.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#17]
They have just put out the order for officers on the south to mask up, sounds like they are going in
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They have just put out the order for officers on the south to mask up, sounds like they are going in

probably not just yet. Likely they're going to shoot some gas into the house, and the wind's just heading their way.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Let me be the first to ask:  Do you know what name he posts under??
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

HA yea, the guy sounds like he could be on these boards haha
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing untill they said he only had three long guns and three pistols

Oh gas has been deployed, call back is good deploy
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#22]
cough, cough, cough,,,[gasp] I'll never tell.   Hey where did all [gasp] smoke come from. cough,,cough,,
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
cough, cough, cough,,,[gasp] I'll never tell.   Hey where did all [gasp] smoke come from. cough,,cough,,

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well my ploy to fake my own death, by shooting a round into the ceiling and escape to rule my own island didn't work.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm working at dispatch right now - saw the thread pop up in active topics (i'm at the info position - so not doing much with this going on).  I was really tempted to get on one of the off channels and say:

"Snarfbatt!  We're watching you.  Step away from the computer!"

I'd probably end up in trouble.  Funny.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#26]
That would have called for the tinfoil hat

But thats funny
Keep up the good work
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:08:05 PM EDT
[#27]
disregard
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Not normally, the scanner locks on it and I miss the other stuff
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm working at dispatch right now - saw the thread pop up in active topics (i'm at the info position - so not doing much with this going on).  I was really tempted to get on one of the off channels and say:

"Snarfbatt!  We're watching you.  Step away from the computer!"

I'd probably end up in trouble.  Funny.

How come all this traffic is in the clear? Glad you guys made it through the tornado.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#30]
i better shut up now
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Robot has been deployed
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:45:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Just a question. Is this a moonbat/drug house, or is the neighborhood so bad that such things as cameras and wire on the windows are required?  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:17:32 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Single shot fired inside the house? (if so he probably offed himself).

He probably shot one of the dogs as a message to the other dog not to try anything funny.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Just a question. Is this a moonbat/drug house, or is the neighborhood so bad that such things as cameras and wire on the windows are required?  

Yes that part of town is not the best, lots of drug/wannabe bangers etc.
Sorry all I fell asleep at the computer this morning and did not here the entry, I know the got him and by checking the media they did not have to blast him.
They still could have shot the dogs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#35]
where in evansville?

By the LST ? Northside?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#36]
DEAD

Man shoots self after domestic dispute
February 26, 2006

After a four-hour wait outside his home at 1229 S. Linwood Avenue, Evansville police found Sunday morning the body of a man who shot himself late Saturday after a dispute with his wife.

Richard Lewis Lane, 53, pushed his wife Debbie, 50, out the front door when police arrived at around 11:15 p.m. Saturday. He slammed the front door and fired a single shot with a small caliber pistol, police said.

Police evacuated several neighbors and attempted to make contact with Lane until nearly 4 a.m. before gassing the home and sending in a bomb robot with a camera that discovered Lane’s body.

* Reporter Jacob Bennett is working on the story and will have details in tomorrow's paper.

Link to story
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

And don't forget. The reporter will say it is a machine gun and has the capability of SPRAYING bullets with one pull of the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And don't forget. The reporter will say it is a machine gun and has the capability of SPRAYING bullets with one pull of the trigger.

I have a novel idea....why don't we wait and see WHAT the reporter has to say?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a novel idea....why don't we wait and see WHAT the reporter has to say?

Uh oh... sumone's a reporter...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Did not catch the fact that he smoked his self.
Like I said I fell asleep at the computer while listening.
Last I heard the robot was going to "blow the lock" on the front door.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
where in evansville?

By the LST ? Northside?

It was in the Monroe, Linwood area inner city. no the LST is at Marina Point and is not a bad area.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Covert and Vann area.

And I'm not a reporter. I just believe prognostication is best left to Swamis and Weathermen.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Huh they kept talking about Monroe/linwood last night when I was listening, Oh well
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

That's the sad part? People may die here.

Quoted:SWAT is calling for the armored truck to stage.

Hope they got the right address this time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

What happened last time?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What happened last time?

He has no idea.  It's more of that "prognostication" thing.  Makes him look smart and impresses folks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#47]
For those of you who are curious about how biased against firearms that bad ol reporter turned out to be, here is the story from todays paper:

Dispute ends in apparent suicide
By JACOB BENNETT Courier & Press staff writer (812) 464-7434 or [email protected]
February 27, 2006

Evansville police on Sunday morning found the body of a man who shot himself after police arrived during a dispute with his wife at 1229 S. Linwood Ave.

Richard Louis Lane, 53, pushed his wife, Debbie, 50, out the front door at 11:18 p.m. Saturday when three police officers responded to a domestic disturbance call from the home. He ignored their orders not to go inside and slammed the front door behind him and apparently turned the gun on himself, police said. Police evacuated several neighbors and tried to make contact with Lane until nearly 4 a.m. before gassing the home and sending in a bomb robot with a camera that discovered Lane's body. Police said he shot himself in the chest with an assault rifle similar to an AK-47.  

"I don't know what got into him," said Chris Cooper, 35, a neighbor who said he was friends with Richard Lane. "They don't usually argue."

Police spokesman Brian Talsma said it appeared there wasn't much police could have done to prevent the suicide, because it happened so soon after they arrived.

"It wasn't like he held out for a couple of hours and something happened to set him off," Talsma said. "It was probably his intention all along.

"Ultimately you've got to assume he is alive and negotiate some type of surrender so he's not in danger and the neighbors are not in danger and our officers are not in danger."

Talsma said the on-scene commander was Lt. Andy Chandler, who could not be reached Sunday. Police took precautions after the fatal shot was fired because of the uncertainty of the situation. They barricaded an area surrounding the home, telling several neighbors to leave from streets not facing the home and making other neighbors stay inside. Lane had several weapons inside the home, police said. Police sent in the robot after no one ran from the tear gas.

Cooper said Debbie Lane was staying with family but wasn't sure who they were.

He said he and Richard Lane sometimes worked on each other's vehicles. He said the Lanes had lived there for a few months. Other neighbors said they did not know the couple.

Vanderburgh County Coroner Don Erk said Lane was a former Medix driver for United Pharmacy in Henderson, Ky., and was trying to get disability payments. United officials could not be reached Sunday.

Lane's home was surrounded with crime scene tape Sunday afternoon. The front door was splintered along the edges from being forced open. Some neighbors were still searching for details, including who had survived.

The incident happened less than a third of a mile from where Brandon Pate, then 16, fatally cut Ronald Wells, 20. Pate was later convicted on a juvenile charge of voluntary manslaughter.

"I wish it hadn't happened here," said Kelly Yarde, 38, who lives on Monroe Avenue, which intersects with Linwood at Lane's home. "It could happen anywhere. This neighborhood isn't as bad as people say it is. This block is usually pretty quiet."

Doesn't sound too anti-gun to me. This isn't Boston.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top