Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 7:33:46 PM EDT
It's cold up here in NH! - we got about 8 inches of new snow today.

I want to wire a 4" computer cooling fan between doorways to spread the heat from my kitchen to the Dining room.

Do I need to use a 12 volt transformer?- if so, what amperage?  Surely I shouldn't hook it up direct to 110V!

Any advice?

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#1]
computer fans are designed to run strictly on DC, so you would need an adapter, though I'm not sure what kind of horsepower you would need.  Trying to plug a comp fan into AC can lead to some "interesting" results (dangerous)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I want to wire a 4" computer cooling fan between doorways to spread the heat from my kitchen to the Dining room.

Do I need to use a 12 volt transformer?- if so, what amperage?  Surely I shouldn't hook it up direct to 110V!

Any advice?

check the fan, the voltage and aperage should be on the front side of the fan.

you know they make fans that mount to the top of the doorway to do just that, right?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any advice?

check the fan, the voltage and aperage should be on the front side of the fan.

you know they make fans that mount to the top of the doorway to do just that, right?

Yes I do, but the fans are easy to come by, I just need to know how to wire one up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#4]

That little " biscuit " fan isn't going to move a lot of volume of air . You need something larger .
 Like the other guy said , they make a fan that mounts in the doorway to circulate air from one room to the other .
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Uh, buy a 110v AC fan and wire a plug on it and you are set.   110v fans are noisy compared to 12v DC fans just to let you know.  I've used both on my salt water aquarium.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#6]
The CF per minute you will move with a 4" box fan will be a waste of time. Trust me. Just don’t ask me about the day I spent trying to heat my pool with 500 feet of flexible black irrigation line, a fountain pump, some 95 degree Arizona April sun and some zip ties.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Uh, buy a 110v AC fan and wire a plug on it and you are set.   110v fans are noisy compared to 12v DC fans just to let you know.  I've used both on my salt water aquarium.

If I make the the 4" computer fan work, it will cost me far less in electrictiy to balance the air from one room to another.  110v sounds like wasted juice to me.

If the fan is DC, then from the comments above, I guess I need a DC wall adapter rated to the DCv of the fan - right?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#8]
that should be all you need - if you have an american science and surplus around (or you can buy from the web) they usually have a bunch of AC adapters for really cheap. Or there's always ratshack.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#9]
It will be a complete waste of time and effort.  Carry on!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
that should be all you need - if you have an american science and surplus around (or you can buy from the web) they usually have a bunch of AC adapters for really cheap. Or there's always ratshack.

So I need a transformer that will take the ACv of the household paower and convert it to DCv for the fan - right?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I need a transformer that will take the ACv of the household paower and convert it to DCv for the fan - right?

If I were you I'd start with something like this:

http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=10299&cartLogFrom=Search%20%2D%20Category%20Filter

And then make sure your life insurance is paid up...

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I make the the 4" computer fan work, it will cost me far less in electrictiy to balance the air from one room to another.  110v sounds like wasted juice to me.

If the fan is DC, then from the comments above, I guess I need a DC wall adapter rated to the DCv of the fan - right?

Just go to Radio Shack and get a 12VDC transformer with an amp rating that exceeds the rating on the fan.

will look something like this

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have an old "wall wort" transformer in the 3-9V range @ about 100ma it will work fine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Use electric cooling fans from a junk car. Don't you watch the Red Green show?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

and roll video in case something interesting happens!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It always amazes me how willing people are in dismissing good advice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It always amazes me how willing people are in dismissing good advice.

Uhhh... that's not the only use I was going to adapt the application to.  Hence the reason that I really wanted to know how to wire it up.

Thanks to all those that provided the answer I needed.

X
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#19]
And just for anyone else that may be interested in something like this, this is the pre-made doorway fan I was talking about:

http://www.smarthome.com/3008.html

$20...not bad for a non do-it yourselfer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#20]
An ordinary house fan is going to push a whole lot more air that a computer case fan, and is going to be a lot cheaper since there's no power supply.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top