Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 7:29:45 PM EDT
Walmart's brand is much cheaper than Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc. but is it just as good? I've heard some say that there is only one or two manufacturers and we are just paying for marketing. Are there any independent tests of the oil quality?

I have a 10 year old Dodge and a brand new Toyota and I change oil every 3,000 miles.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If it meets the specifications for oil, then its just as good. Also, you dont need to change every 3k unless you have very harsh driving conditions or just like changing your oil. Certainly wont hurt it though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I drive long distances at 80 mph sometimes accelerating to 90 mph with a 1.5 liter 74 hp motor. I think that is driving it hard. The Dodge has 150,000 miles on it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I run the walmart crap in my old truck, but try to put a litter more expensive brand in my nicer vehicles.  it probably doesn't make a difference, but it makes me feel good.

I have noticed that the walmart oil has a different smell to it when it burns.  Also valvoline has an identifiable smell.

I did have to use some walmart power steering fluid in my car today,  I wasn't very happy about it, but I was in a bind.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I think there is a lot of hype involved in the selling of oil.  If the oil you are looking at meets the requirements of the engine mfg. then it is good enough.  Look for the SF ratings like G,F, etc. in both your manual and on the bottle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I only run Kendall oil as being my engine builder who built my 460HP/470TQ SB told me as he tells all his customers to run Kendall oil.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Supertech oil has somewhat of a weak additive package, but in analyists seems to do well in engines.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Seems to be good stuff, but I am a big motor sports fan so I try to support the oil companies that are generally big supporters of motor sports......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top