Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2006 6:47:19 PM EDT
The ones with the Scandium in the frames.

And if so, how much did it hurt on a scale of 1-10?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#1]
tag...im wondering who hates themself enough to target shoot .357's through one of those airlite things. They are awesome guns....but damn they must be a bitch to hang on to with magnum loads.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Around a 4. Make sure you hold on to it or the trigger guard will make you sorry.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it really worth shooting .357 out of a short-ass barrel like that? (Correct me if I'm mistaken on the barrel length.)
It loses a crapload of energy, noisy as Hell too...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it really worth shooting .357 out of a short-ass barrel like that? (Correct me if I'm mistaken on the barrel length.)
It loses a crapload of energy, noisy as Hell too...

And still way better than any .38.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
tag...im wondering who hates themself enough to target shoot .357's through one of those airlite things. They are awesome guns....but damn they must be a bitch to hang on to with magnum loads.

I've held a few and love the feel. They feel great in the hand and are lighter than shit (meaning they'd make a hell of a nice carry gun), but I can't imagine being able to shoot 357s out of them without a serious case of flinchitis and some wicked wrist/hand pain.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#6]
If you don't hold it tight the trigger guard will chew up your middle finger. Other than that, it's not bad at all.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I've shot one. I put 5 shots through a friends Scandium J frame. 140 grain Silvertips, only 5. Very sharp, abrupt recoil, almost like a medium sized firecracker going off in your hand. It made my hand sting. I didn't rush out and buy one, and his does get carried with 38 spl. +P, now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]
No fucking thanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've held a few and love the feel. They feel great in the hand and are lighter than shit (meaning they'd make a hell of a nice carry gun), but I can't imagine being able to shoot 357s out of them without a serious case of flinchitis and some wicked wrist/hand pain.

I have been looking to pick up a little 38/357 wheel gun and everytime I go into a shop to check a few out, they always point me toward the airlites. I'm thinking, uhhh I want some damn steel if I am going to shoot 357 through something that damn tiny. They look like great guns...just too damn light for my tastes. Probably great to carry, but god help you if you actually want to shoot it regularly.

My wife liked it because it was so light, but I explained to her that the lighter it was, the harder it would be to shoot...so we settled on a heavier frame model.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup, . 38 sucks...

Why not just get like a Glock 26 or 33?
Just my opinion...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been looking to pick up a little 38/357 wheel gun and everytime I go into a shop to check a few out, they always point me toward the airlites. I'm thinking, uhhh I want some damn steel if I am going to shoot 357 through something that damn tiny. They look like great guns...just too damn light for my tastes. Probably great to carry, but god help you if you actually want to shoot it regularly.

My wife liked it because it was so light, but I explained to her that the lighter it was, the harder it would be to shoot...so we settled on a heavier frame model.

I wonder if 38's are much more tolerable to shoot in the Airlites...most likely not.....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I did.  single action was accurate as hell for first 14 rounds or so (386PD 2" scandium),  double action was horrendous.  pain was not bad after a couple weeks of shooting.  but coulbe action was horrendous no matter how much I tried.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I did.  single action was accurate as hell for first 14 rounds or so (386PD 2" scandium),  double action was horrendous.  pain was not bad after a couple weeks of shooting.  but coulbe action was horrendous no matter how much I tried.

and then he sold it
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The first trip out I fired a cylinder full each of four boxes of self defence ammo to see how each shot both grouping and speed through a chronograph. I had five boxes of ammo starting with 125gr Federal JHP up to 158gr JHP. On box number five I literally had to yank the trigger and cry between shots. Total shots fired 22. I had a dark blue bruise about 1/2" wide right down my palm as if the rear strap of the piece had been covered in Prussian blue.

Thank God almighty that the best grouping rounds were the lighter ones!

Since then I have learned that 38 special is a piece of cake for plinking practice and one cylinder full of full power loads each trip to the range is not really a chore at all.

I have fired two shots at attacking dogs with this revolver and you never notice when the SHTF.

I love carrying it and you can't beat .357 mag. Noisy Cricket.

Next week I get to shoot my buddy's new Serbu super shorty 12 gage. That should be a similar experience.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder if 38's are much more tolerable to shoot in the Airlites...most likely not.....

I shoot my Airweight recreationally with normal 38 loads. +P can get bad, but I ordered a larger grip from CDNN for $3.99 that mitigates recoil a great deal. Don't even wanna know what a 357 would be like.

And for those of you asking why get one? Because it's one of the few pocket guns my dept will allow (still in the wheelgun darkages)....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My FFL friend who ordered the 340PD for me prides himself on his "Bear Loads" he whips up for his 44mag Super Redhawk. He fired two rounds out of it and handed it back to me and said, "Yep, thats brutal."

I can't imagine that the scandium 44mag can be as bad as the .357mag if you look at the respective weights of the weapons. Mine is like 12 oz empty.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#17]
it's certainly "sharper" than a 500 S&W
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I shoot my Airweight recreationally with normal 38 loads. +P can get bad, but I ordered a larger grip from CDNN for $3.99 that mitigates recoil a great deal. Don't even wanna know what a 357 would be like.

And for those of you asking why get one? Because it's one of the few pocket guns my dept will allow (still in the wheelgun darkages)....

Oh, please. I love the concealed hammer revolver. If need be it can be emptied without ever leaving your pocket! .357 is so loud the police dispatcher can hear you need help without a telephone!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Oh, please. I love the concealed hammer revolver. If need be it can be emptied without ever leaving your pocket! .357 is so loud the police dispatcher can hear you need help without a telephone!

Good one Planerench!  I know when I shoot 125 gr magnums (what I carry) out of my 640 it sure rattles things on the range!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#20]
one time I tried the "one handed pistol grip shotgun with a slug" shot.  I kinda just stood there for a second thinking, "I just broke my wrist.", but after a few minutes I pulled through.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good one Planerench!  I know when I shoot 125 gr magnums (what I carry) out of my 640 it sure rattles things on the range!

I had a vicious dog get me in a Mexican stand off while walking to work (in the Batplane) and I touched off a round between it's legs into the gravel to end it. Twenty minutes later in the plane I was able to contact the county dispatcher and cancel the deputy racing to the shots fired call. Last I saw the dog was still running. Every day after that, the dog would bark at me once and then take off for the back 40 with no prodding from me other than my walking by on the road.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
one time I tried the "one handed pistol grip shotgun with a slug" shot.  I kinda just stood there for a second thinking, "I just broke my wrist.", but after a few minutes I pulled through.

On that note, can anyone find that old post about the dragon's breath rounds? My buddy wants to try them out of his Super Shorty!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I shot a cylinder of 357 Mag out of SlumLord's scandium. It was very sharp and harsh, like someone hit your hand with a hammer. But overall, it wasn't that bad. It's no plinking gun, but I wouldn't have any problem carrying one for self-defense or shooting a box or so every range trip just for practice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I haven't shot one of the Scandium models, but I shot .357 out of a regular Airweight at a local range that rents guns.  The recoil was stiffer than anything else we shot that day, including .45s (a Glock and a 1911), .40s (Glock) and .357 (other, heavier, revolvers).  

I'd still condider it for concealed carry, but I'd train like hell until I could shoot it well.  I used to walk from a condo to work in downtown Seattle through an area with a lot of aggressive panhandlers, crackheads and crack dealers.  I seriously considered one back then.  I figured I could carry it in one of those pocket holsters in the pocket of my overcoat (I don't know what I would have done in the summer - windbreaker?).  Money was tight back then, and I ended up paying off my student loans and buying a house before I bought any guns...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#25]
They freak'n hurt.  I shot one with 357 +P's on a bet that I couldn't get through all 5 and have them on paper.  By #4 I was ready to call it but one more wasn't going to make my hand hurt less so I cranked it off and won the bet.  My hand hurt for a week.  I though about getting one but after shooting it I thought I would get a .38 but for the same weight and sized I could get a G-26 and get 12 rounds of 147gr Rangers so I don't have a .38
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I shot a few cylinders of .357 Mag Hydroshocks thru my 340PD for the experience. I'd compare the impact to my wrist on par with punching a brick wall 5 times. My prefered carry load is a Ranger .38 +P+. The recoil is not as severe and your back on target time for double taps is quicker.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I shot five rounds from one a few months ago. It was like slamming the web of my hand into the 2inch side of a 2x4. (five times)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I've shot a Mossberg 500 with 18.5" barrel and lone pistol grip one handed (no slugs though) and it actually didn't feel that bad. Uncomfortable but not extremely painful.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I shot one and lets just say you can stick that gun up your ass. Well that is what I told my freind who owns it. They are ok with 38 +P but .357 it didn't matter how tight I griped it the damn trigger gaurd would get my trigger finger.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I shot one with .357.

Fucking OUCH.

If any of you are baseball guys, imagine taking  a swing at a 100 MPH fastball and connecting with the wrong part of the bat to where you get that "zing" from the bat.   Now multiply that by five or six.

Manageable with 38 for sure, but .357 WILL take some getting used to.   I never finch, even with .44 mag, but the recoil in these scandium guns is so "sharp" -- i.e., plotted over time the recoil pulse is a high spike of short duration, its just impossible to "roll" with it.   It fucking smacks you HARD.

Trigger guard HURTS, espectially with double action shots.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#31]

I shoot the poor cousin of S&W, the .357 Taurus 651 in titanium (17 oz unloaded).  

Its doesn't hurt until the 30th round for me and even then its just a sore feeling that I notice when I'm reloading.  After that, each shot hurts a little when I shoot.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Is it really worth shooting .357 out of a short-ass barrel like that?

Nope. In fact some of the best performing self defense loads out of a 2" .38/357 are the 148Gn Wadcutter and the Gold Dot 135Gn (+P) that was designed specifically for that Brl length.  All magnum loads offer is more recoil and muzzle blast with no real improvement in terminal ballistics. The .357Mag has suffered greatly in that the developments that improved so many other calibers have not been applied tyo the .357Msag loads.  Hell one of the best .357Mag self defense loads out of a 4" or greater brl was the Winchester 180Gn Partitian Gold which was marketed as a hunting load and later discontinued.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I've shot several rounds of .454 Casull, one of them one-handed, and it wasn't bad at all (probably because of the weight of the gun and the fact that I was expecting far worse).  Also own a couple .44s and don't mind the recoil at all.

Having said that, I've shot a number of rounds through a S&W Airweight with .38 Special +Ps, and they were nasty and darn hard to control.  I can't imagine shooting .357s with any accuracy.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:46:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and then he sold it

heheheh,

One sale I actually DON'T regret.  great gun, good deal fo rthe buyer , but I decided I either wanted a smaller or bigger one.  Like your hammerless....  that was sweet.  I'm either going with a hammerless 5 shot 357 snubbie or a full out 6 inch 45acp SW.  Can't wait till I go on my next buying spree.

BUT that trigger pull in single action is ridiculous.  I could take 357 magnum hydrasoks all day before I sold it to you, and get em all in a good two or three inch group.  silvertip 38 +p's were perfect.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:54:31 AM EDT
[#35]
i bought an SC360PD last week - going to shoot it the first time today....will let you know - surely it cannot be worse than a .44 mag rvolver...so I am not worried about the "horrid recoil"
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:55:19 AM EDT
[#36]
also - I always hear from "experts" how horrid it is....yet they themselves have never ever ever fired one....I figure the surface area of the grip is what causes the pain - increasing the grip size might be a solution for plinking at the range, buit for carry I will leave it alone...even for training...fgood to hear the experience from actual shooters, I will take it into account when I pull the trigger for the first time this afternoon
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:02:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
They freak'n hurt.  I shot one with 357 +P's on a bet that I couldn't get through all 5 and have them on paper.  By #4 I was ready to call it but one more wasn't going to make my hand hurt less so I cranked it off and won the bet.  My hand hurt for a week.  I though about getting one but after shooting it I thought I would get a .38 but for the same weight and sized I could get a G-26 and get 12 rounds of 147gr Rangers so I don't have a .38

well, the recommended rounds for the SC family is .38, .38+P, and .357 Mag...

.357 +P is not on the list...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:10:09 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

One word--- PAINFUL 10

ETA : I have a 342PD loaded with GD 135 +P's
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:53:01 AM EDT
[#39]
I haven't tried one of these, but I've been wanting to. I haven't found anything that really bothers
me in my 21oz .357, so I'm hoping the 125s and 110s won't bother me too much. 180's in my gun
are a little unpleasant. Anybody in the Lafayette, LA area have one?

Sam
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
also - I always hear from "experts" how horrid it is....yet they themselves have never ever ever fired one....I figure the surface area of the grip is what causes the pain - increasing the grip size might be a solution for plinking at the range, buit for carry I will leave it alone...even for training...fgood to hear the experience from actual shooters, I will take it into account when I pull the trigger for the first time this afternoon

the only pain area is teh web of the thumb where the recoil actually hits.  get a good grip and that spreads to your hadn and lessons.  shoot a couple of cylinders a week and you get used to it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#41]
My M386PD weighs 17.5 oz, it's not too bad with spec loads but then, it's an L frame gun and I've shot many thousand rounds of 44 mag in my life so my recoil sensitivity may be somewhat skewed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a 342PD (.38+P version). It weighs 10.8 ounces. I fired 10 rounds +P throuigh mine and it was all I could take. It was painful and bruised the palm of my hand, to the point that I had a black and blue bruise the next day. If someone gave me $100, I wouldn't fire a .357 round in one of those j-frame airlites. If I owned one, I'd fire .38 special for practice and carry +P's in it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I used to have a Ruger SP101 2" barrel.  It hurt pretty bad.  Maybe a 6 or 7.

I just got the wife a 642.  It sucks with .38+P but I would give it a 3.

She hated the +P, but I told her she wouldn't notice it if she ever had to use it.  Which is true.

We shoot 90gr range loads for practice.  They rank a -1 for pain.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Never fired a Scandium.  Magnum loads from my 2" stainless J-frame were enough to make me bleed once, but I still run through a cylinder or two occasionally.  I prefer to plink/practice with .38s anyway, since it's easier on me and the frame.

IIRC, S&W doesn't recommend a steady diet of magnum loads in these pocket rockets.  There's not much metal holding them together compared with a 629/.44M, so why abuse yourself & the gun?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#45]
As long as I have the pacmhyer(sp) grip on mine its not bad @ all. Put the origional rosewood grips back on and "no thanks."
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Try the Scandium .44 magnum and then get back to me.

I shot a cylinder full of factory loads through a buddy's once.  It felt like somebody smacking your palm with a baseball bat, and I could feel the grips shift on the frame with every shot.

For some reason he no longer has that particular gun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well, the recommended rounds for the SC family is .38, .38+P, and .357 Mag...

.357 +P is not on the list...

Yeah, I know that the .357 +P's are not on the list but this was a test to see who had the bigger balls.

To be honest with you I have shot them with .38 +P+ and I didn't find that to be very comfortable either.  I will pass on the light weight pistols.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#48]
I have...and it does kick like hell...but that's part of the fun.

However for a generally more accurate, quicker follow up, "my life depends upon a couple shots here" situation - I'd probably prefer the 38 +P.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I used to have a Ruger SP101 2" barrel.  It hurt pretty bad.  Maybe a 6 or 7.

I just got the wife a 642.  It sucks with .38+P but I would give it a 3.

She hated the +P, but I told her she wouldn't notice it if she ever had to use it.  Which is true.

We shoot 90gr range loads for practice.  They rank a -1 for pain.

yeah I have a sp101 2' I practice with 38's I put a box of gold dot 357's thru it so see were my point of impact would be and im like ouch enough for the day.

38's thu are so damn mild thru it thu.

my grandma has one of the scandiums s7W's in 32 hr mag that felt like getting slapped with a baseball bat to the wrist.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I found the 38s not that much different from the 357s in precieved recoil. They both started to bang up you hand, fingers, and wrist after 100 rounds. The guns are extemely light and very snappy.

It's a good carry piece but not something to shoot often or for very long.

YMMV.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top