Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 1:46:13 PM EDT
I've heard it answered both "yes" and "no".

What's the scoop? I've got an endurance test in one week and would like to start hitting the gym every day as opposed to every other day (like I've been doing).

Will this benefit me in the short run, or will it magically reverse all of my progress as the "expert" at the gym claims?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Seven days a week is probably over-kill.  I wouldn't go more than six.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think it matters at all - at least you are doing *something*....you will benefit no matter what...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#3]
No expert but I was always told and followed the plan you work certain muscle groups every other day.

ETA: You can still work out everyday but just don't always work your biceps everyday etc.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Working the same muscles every day does not allow the torn muscle tissue to "rebuild" itself into bigger muscle.

You are better off working out every other day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't think it matters at all - at least you are doing *something*....you will benefit no matter what...

No, you can most definatly over-train your muscles.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No expert but I was always told and followed the plan you work certain muscle groups every other day.

ETA: You can still work out everyday but just don't always work your biceps everyday etc.

I was originally on the "upper body one day, lower body the next" rotation, but driving to the gym every day got to be a pain in the ass so I just went to a full body workout every other day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've heard it answered both "yes" and "no".

What's the scoop? I've got an endurance test in one week and would like to start hitting the gym every day as opposed to every other day (like I've been doing).

Will this benefit me in the short run, or will it magically reverse all of my progress as the "expert" at the gym claims?

You need to cycle your muscle groups.  Unlike machines your body need to rebuild itself.  Even nutritional supplements need to be cycled for proper health.

One thing that a lot of lifters ignore is stretching.  It doesnt matter if you can bench 400lbs if you cant bend your arms.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was originally on the "upper body one day, lower body the next" rotation, but driving to the gym every day got to be a pain in the ass so I just went to a full body workout every other day.

Stick with that and do cardio everyday.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, it does damage to muscle tissue. It's called overtraining....In short, muscle tissue needs rest in order to repair itself, and subsequently grow larger and stronger. You can, theoretically, work out every day assuming you train different muscle groups each day; thus allowing one muscle group to rest while you train another..............You just need to be aware of and look for the signs of overtraining......

Instead of beating your body to death day in and day out, you should concentrate on higher work out intensity (but less frequently), plenty of rest (8 hrs min/day), and proper nutrition......
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I've always heard every other day as well.  However, if you have a competition in one week, keep in mind that you aren't going to build any extra muscle in a week.  I'd do light workouts every other day until your fitness test.  30 minutes or so of light cardio and calisthenics.  Give your muscles time to fully recover before the test.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Every time you work out hard you will break down muscle. You need to rest in order to allow your body to repair itself. As stated, cycling the muscle groups is a common method of preventing overtraining.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top