Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2001 6:53:47 AM EDT
Where can I get one of those prong-type flash hiders for an HK .45 Tactical model? Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Capitol City Firearms:
[url]www.ccfa.com[/url]

havoc
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, I can't access the website....I don't know if it's working. Does anyone have a phone#??? Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I just tried it, and it's working fine.

Anyhow, here is the number:

Capitol City Firearms
Richmond, VA
804-740-4926, from 9:30 AM to 8:00 PM EST

havoc
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:02:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I had one of these...they kind of blow.  I sent it back.  It comes unscrewed constantly.  

If you want total flash suppression, I can recommend an item made by Knight's Armament...it's about $1200, though.  :-)

QS
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#6]
A drop of LocTite will do the trick.  Just make sure it's not the permanent variety.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Larry's a great guy, but I'm not too pleased with mine either - I actually have had two, the first one would come loose after every mag.  This one generally stays on there, though you usually do have to tighten it after the first mag as the barrel warms up (being that the barrel and f/s and expanding at different rates).  Even this is kind of a pain, considering you have to remove it every time you clean the pistol.   I would imagine it would be a bigger pain with the locktite.

The current either appears to be of a different design, or has a manufacturing defect.   I doubt it is the latter, as Larry was going to find a barrel in his shop that my original one was loose on, and find a good match based on that.

The original one had the cuts straight across from eachother like this:

(edit: Bleah - looks like the website removes my whitespace.   If you look at the original cutouts, they form a perfect cross.  The new one, each cutout if slightly offset to the side, for example the top cuttoff is slightly left of center, while the bottom is slightly right, etc.)

.    |
.  -- --
.    |

The current one is like a bit offset, like this

.    |
.  -- __
.   |

Ok, they so the representations are bad, but you hopefully get the picture.  I'm not talking about the cuts being the 0, 90, 189, 270 mark either as H&K does not time their threads so that is pretty much impossible.

They are supposedly based on the vortex f/s, but I'm pretty new to AR's so I don't really know which the proper design is.   They also do not match H&K's finish on the USP - in fact, the one I have now is sort of purple.

The machine is also pretty rough - lots of mill marks on the insides of the cuts.  Overall, I don't think it is a very "polished" product, if you know what I mean.  The variance on the two examples I had were so great...   Not exactly what one would expect after paying $100 for a hunk of metal.

It does, however, significantly reduce muzzle flip.   However, while I haven't had a failure when using it yet, I would think that it has to effect reliability.   Without the f/s, my tactical throws all the brass in a nice, neat pile, when it is attached (happed with both of mine), the brass is ejected with MUCH less force, and it pretty much flies all over the place, many times back into my face.   At the range it is fine, because you are wearing glasses, but if you ever needed to use it in a a real life situation, I would imagine you wouldn't want hot brass flying in your eyes.

Rocko  
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah...I really wasn't impressed.  I think the best flash suppressor is a SOUND suppressor!  

My KAC sounds nothing like a gun.  It's a beautiful thing.  And, it actually functions SMOOTHER with the suppressor mounted.  All my brass would go into a 5 gallon bucket.

QS
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd really like to see someone manufacture a FS for the Tactical that is similar the the A2 FS.  Closed ends and not open like the Vortex.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top