Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 8:29:50 AM EDT
I am a minimalist.  I don't believe in owning ANYTHING I don't absolutely need.  My shopping cart at sam's club is hilarious to everyone I run into: At least 6 "things" of the following: Tide, Toothpaste, deodorant, soap, shampoo... that's about it.  I shop once every 6 months.

I have one rifle & 2 of the same handgun (new york reload).  One shotgun.  I have 4 plates, and some silverware, & a few cups (the large to-go cups from Steak n’ Shake).

Old clothes, computer, TV…. One car… it’s paid off.  I have basically nothing… and I couldn’t be happier about it.

I just can’t see owning anything “just to have it”, or “to collect it.”

I truly believe the things you own end up owning you.  The movie Fight Club said it best…. “you work a job you can’t stand… to buy THINGS… you don’t need.”

I see in the world the RELENTLESS pursuit of “things”…. Just to have things.

Am I alone?  Is there anyone else out there?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I truly believe the things you own end up owning you.  The movie Fight Club said it best…. “you work a job you can’t stand… to buy THINGS… you don’t need.”

The things you own end up owning you.

I'm in the process of weeding the crap out of my life. I don't know if I'll ever get to the point you're at, but I'm in the process.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Everything that I own, I use. From my Dixie Chopper lawn mower to every firearm in my collection.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Not married , right
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not married , right

No kids either

ETA: I can't say much though. I probably have about $5,000 worth of crap I haven't touched in years I could sell on Ebay out in my storage house, just to lazy to mess with it.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, what about all the bowls and candlesticks that you get as wedding presents?
I'm sure the missus will let you just toss all that stuff out, huh?

Oh, wait a minute....

...a few cups (the large to-go cups from Steak n’ Shake).

Not going to be getting marries anytime too soon, are ya?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not married , right

The first thought that went through my mind was... "HAHAHA"... but then I thought about it for a min.

That's not funny.... that's sad.  This society has trained men... to ALLOW women to dictate what will happen in our lives.  There is NO reason to spend all that money on: weddings, house, stuff in the house... etc etc.

I have rejected this completely... and if that means I will spend the rest of my life alone... then so be it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I have way too much crap I don't often use.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not married , right

No kids either

ETA: I can't say much though. I probably have about $5,000 worth of crap I haven't touched in years I could sell on Ebay out in my storage house, just to lazy to mess with it.  

And probably young, and probably moves on a regular basis so anything extra becomes a burden to hang onto.

Get older, get married, grow roots, and you'll start retaining stuff you don't use anymore.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:48:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not married , right

The first thought that went through my mind was... "HAHAHA"... but then I thought about it for a min.

That's not funny.... that's sad.  This society has trained men... to ALLOW women to dictate what will happen in our lives.  There is NO reason to spend all that money on: weddings, house, stuff in the house... etc etc.

I have rejected this completely... and if that means I will spend the rest of my life alone... then so be it.

No, THAT is sad.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not married , right

No, THAT is sad.

Yep. Very sad.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone wanna buy a Nordic Track?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I have TONS of crap I no longer need or use. I have the majority of a 1970 Dodge Charger R/T  in parts spread between my basement and the garage. Also, lots of other leftovers from my prior gear head/drag racing days. Luckily, a lot of that stuff is worth good money nowadays!  I'm pretty glad I hung onto it and dragged it along the last time I moved. The plan is to sell it all off and use the money for something else I don't exactly "need" - an HK registered sear pack and a HK51 host.  Tools, engine stuff that is semi-universal (gear sets, hi-perf parts), and shop equipment (press, parts washer, air compressor, etc.) will stay, even though I'm not really using them as much right now. Some day I'll find a nice clean tubbed out street car rolling chassis to use that stuff on...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to spend money on stupid shit.  But then something happened and i became really really cheap.  I hate spending money now.  If i need something for my business i buy it.  I don't buy myself much stuff.  

I just try my best to save as much money as i possibly can because i know my future depends on it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I own way too much crap but I have been working on it and get much better.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not married , right

No, THAT is sad.

Yep. Very sad.

Right, so he should settle down and start buying china, curio cabinets, dust ruffles, dust collector knick knacks, and other miscellaneous BS so he can hook up with a woman who will buy him even more shit he doesn't need.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a lot of shit I dont use, and try to sell it when I find it.  Gunwise I shoot them all, but only few have a dedicated purpose.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I am materialistic to a fault.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I am materialistic toa fault.

+1

But I do enjoy a lot of my toys. It's just that I'm insatiable.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm becoming more and more of a minimalist.
My gun collection used to number near 20, now I only possess 6 firearms, all of which I use routinely.

I stopped buying electronics that I don't need.
I stopped collecting gadgets and tools that don't serve an immediate and useful purpose.
I absolutely abhor things that I've bought and haven't used in years, but eBay helps take care of that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not married , right

No, THAT is sad.

Yep. Very sad.

Right, so he should settle down and start buying china, curio cabinets, dust ruffles, dust collector knick knacks, and other miscellaneous BS so he can hook up with a woman who will buy him even more shit he doesn't need.

That's quite a leap you made there.

Pay attention, boy.
It's not the over abundance of crap that attracts a woman (although some decent glassware, other than a plastic cup from a fast food joint wouldn't hurt)...
...it's just that woman tend to be nesters.  They collect crap.  
That's their nature.

But hey, some people prefer to live alone, miserable, bitter, pointless lives, with no legacy other than bile.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm becoming more and more of a minimalist.
My gun collection used to number near 20, now I only possess 6 firearms, all of which I use routinely.

I stopped buying electronics that I don't need.
I stopped collecting gadgets and tools that don't serve an immediate and useful purpose.
I absolutely abhor things that I've bought and haven't used in years, but eBay helps take care of that.

yup
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not married , right

No, THAT is sad.

Yep. Very sad.

No, just move to a shack in the woods and become the next unibomber or serial killer....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not married , right

No, THAT is sad.

Yep. Very sad.

Nope, but the people who preach minimalism usually omit mention of their excesses in other areas of life. Interferes with the halo, I guess.

There are very few people who live like Thoreau.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Started coin collecting in the 60's as a kid, silver coins and silver bars a few a month.

Started collecting old crank phones, then various military field phones.

Surplus cought my eye as a collectors item. Some day I may actually put together the 50 some rain camo design connectable tarps, and make a large tent... Canteen collection, lister bags... Rope, canvas colapsable buckets, fox hole ground cover.

Then there are the magazines, and pouch deals, along with all the past and present ammo deals.
Oh, and one cant forget the ammo cans, the wood crates, the battle packs.

My camo, od green, rain camo, black clothing, vests.

Then there is all the weaponary, safes, knives.

VHS movies and DVD movies keep adding up to.

Power generators, 12 volt power inverters.  grills, stoves, 1lb propane cylinders, gas lighting.

FRS/GMRS walkie talkies.

Marlboro Miles stuff - you name it I got it!

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Not sidelining your thread, I agree. However with women and families comes alot of crap YOU do not need.I doubt your unhappy. Some people, like married people, are co-dependent.It works for some but not for others.Like you i'm single and PLAN on staying that way.Looking @ it from the long-term point of view I see in many whom posted here HAVE family responsiabilites and NO OTHER OPTIONS.They signed up for that. "For the pursuit of happiness".Everyone needs only Food clothing and shelter, everything else is optional.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#27]
you're not married, are you?  My wife saves everything , just in case...which you can't ever find, just in case, but you trip over it all the time...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#28]
I am increasingly becoming more minimalistic all the time.  Should only have a few thing.  As little as possible.  I do have a bunch of gun crap now though that I need to ebay I guess.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#29]
So you don't have any "just in case" (e.g. power outage, flood, natural disaster) stuff?  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#30]
I have TONS of crap that I don't need, and I live by myself in a huge, unecessary house, all by myself - filled with crap that I bought because I felt like, not because I need it.  Fortunately, I live in a capitalist society (and help the economy every time I buy useless shit ).

If you like a minimalist lifestyle, and that works for you, go crazy with it!  

If you like owning lots of shit, go crazy!  

But I don't think there's inherently something special or philosophically superior about one or the other.  If you are afraid that owning things will result in your things owning you, then I suppose you shouldn't own things, and you have figured out what lifestyle works best for you.  

To each his own.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#31]
I have over a dozen ARs, not including the AR10s and the AR180.  I've only shot one of them, so I guess that makes me a minimalist of sorts.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Nope, but the people who preach minimalism usually omit mention of their excesses in other areas of life. Interferes with the halo, I guess.

There are very few people who live like Thoreau.

Naw... I'm not preaching... just seeing if there's anyone else out there with similar ideas.  I don't really excess anywhere else, no drugs, drinking, weekends away, travel, expensive food, expensive cars.  My idea of a "big evening out"... is a medium pizza with pepperoni & extra cheese & a cherry Pepsi... eaten at HOME... in front of the TV.  That's a treat for me.... yeah... that's living ON THE EDGE BABY!!

I am more boring than white bread with nothing on it & a glass of water.

The above probably contributes to the below...

Quoted:
you're not married, are you?  My wife saves everything , just in case...which you can't ever find, just in case, but you trip over it all the time...

Totally not married.  I am not what any woman would consider... "good marriage material"

Quoted:
So you don't have any "just in case" (e.g. power outage, flood, natural disaster) stuff?  

Hummm.  Well... i have some food, gallons of water, batteries, flashlights.  I don't have to worry about a flood, or hurricane, or forest fire where I am... it's just not possible.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm a gear whore.  I buy, buy, buy most of the year.  Guns, accessories, clothes, packs, watches, flashlights. try it all out, then sell the shit that just doesnt suit me every spring to fund my summer vacation.

Works for me.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Minimalist and survivalist are hard to reconcile. I know one guy who did it though. He sold off his entire rather diverse gun collection. Bought an M1A, M1A scout, a handgun spare parts kits, and a ton of .308 ammo.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I used to be able to fit everything I owned into the back of my tacoma.

Then I got crazy one weekend and bought a nice leather couch, some bookshelves, coffe table, end tables, kitchen table and chairs, and some lamps. Now my apartment is a lot nicer, but I can no longer up and leave town on a couple hours notice without dumping the furnishings.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Then I got crazy one weekend and bought a nice leather couch, some bookshelves, coffe table, end tables, kitchen table and chairs, and some lamps. Now my apartment is a lot nicer, but I can no longer up and leave town on a couple hours notice without dumping the furnishings.

IKEA OWNS YOU!!!!

(for some reason that made me think of fight club)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IKEA OWNS YOU!!!!

(for some reason that made me think of fight club)

Not IKEA ... steinhafels.

Oh yeah, I also bought a queen size bed and latex foam mattress.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I think this is the tipping point: can you fit it all in a pickup bed, and move in an afternoon with the assistance of a couple friends and a six-pack? Once you have enough crap to get past that point you mentally think "Why shouldn't I buy these duvets, even though I have no idea what a duvet is?" And then, wham, you're loaded down with so much stuff you're rooted in place.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I guess I could be called a minimalist.  Don't really have much of anything.  My furniture consists of a bed, a desk for my computer, 2 book shelves, a couple night stands my parents hoisted off on to me when I moved out, and a dining room table a family friend is letting me use rather than have to put it into storage.  Very few dishes.  I can fit all my possessions on the back of a 10' Uhaul truck and have plenty of room left over.

Is it fine with me? yes

Is it intended to impress anyone? no

Being a poor college student trying to save money sort of necessitates maintaining this condition.  I will admit to having a few hundred books I don't need, but other than that, I don't really have anything I don't need.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top