BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 2:19:31 AM EDT
Version 1.5.0.1

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:28:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello!

I use AO Hell.

Now...what were you saying about the fire thing?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:32:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Firefox is touted as a lean and mean Mozilla, but it appears not to be lean and mean at all.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Firefox is only using 32,100 K on my computer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:45:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hello!

I use AO Hell.

Sounds like somebody's stuck in the 90's!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:07:54 AM EDT
[#5]
i upgraded to 1.5 with the same results. i uninstalled and reinstalled version 1.07 which i am completely happy with. just because a software company provides an upgrade doesn't me you need to run right out and install it. a little research would have provided you the same answers and saved you a bunch of time.

now that more and more software is free, people are still complaining. just amazing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:23:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:30:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

something better?

Opera
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:31:58 AM EDT
[#8]
+1
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:58:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i upgraded to 1.5 with the same results. i uninstalled and reinstalled version 1.07 which i am completely happy with. just because a software company provides an upgrade doesn't me you need to run right out and install it. a little research would have provided you the same answers and saved you a bunch of time.

now that more and more software is free, people are still complaining. just amazing.

All versions of Firefox leak. They like to blame it on poorly written extensions, but in my experience it still leaks memory, extensions or not. Version 1.5 was reported to address this problem. It appears their efforts were unsuccessful.

The fact it is free for end users is irreverent. Mozilla earns profit via the search box.

www.forbes.com/2005/08/03/mozilla-firefox-forprofit-cx_ld_0803mozilla.html

Google search is free, but they earn billion in revenue. Similar model with Mozilla.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:15:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I have Firefox 1.5.0.1 running on two XP SP2 systems with no memory problems. Most memory issues are plugin or extension related.

The following threads deal with memory issues:

forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=354828

kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_%28Firefox%29

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have Firefox 1.5.0.1 running on two XP SP2 systems with no memory problems. Most memory issues are plugin or extension related.

Well that is completely 'irreverent'.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It is?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hello!

I use AO Hell.

you are NOT using AO HELL, that is a differnt warez all together, You ARE stuck in hell using AOL.

GOOGLE AO HELL you'll be suprised wht you find
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I like Firefox.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#15]
This happens because FF keeps the previous 8 viewed pages in memory, per tab.  This included pdfs, animated gifs, everything...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I just hate the stupid script warning that pops up and stops the page from loading.

Still better than IE though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Im happy with it.

Last firefox bashing thread, I  Loaded up about 120 windows basicly a just opened a new tab evry page i went too, it stayed at a stable 450K.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just hate the stupid script warning that pops up and stops the page from loading.

I've never had any script warnings. Do you have a link to a site that you're getting the warning on?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Im happy with it.

Last firefox bashing thread, I  Loaded up about 120 windows basicly a just opened a new tab evry page i went too, it stayed at a stable 450K.

K? As in Kilobytes? No it wasn't.

I can make Firefox hit 500MB just browsing a picture thread here on arfcom. I continue to use it, because I like tabbed browsing, and I've come to depend on many of the extensions I have installed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#20]
tell you what call your credit card company and tell you are not happy with the product, and i am sure they will refund your money.

i use firefox as a excellent alternative to IE.  

i don't get virus's or spyware with IE.  I don't get virus's or spyware with firefox.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Im happy with it.

K? As in Kilobytes? No it wasn't.

I can make Firefox hit 500MB just browsing a picture thread here on arfcom. I continue to use it, because I like tabbed browsing, and I've come to depend on many of the extensions I have installed.

Ok I just woke up, at 450k kb or 450MB
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is?

Look two posts above my original post.

Firefox is completely 'irreverent'. It is apparently disrespectful and critical of what is generally accepted or respected.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Konqueror  > ALL
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

4:00 AM typo, give me a break.

Anyway, the point I was making is the fact Mozilla gives it to end-users for free is irrelevant. They derive income from it via search sponsors.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Konqueror  > ALL

lynx > konqueror

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Konqueror  > ALL

i've never been a big fan of konqueror.. it's a decent browser..just something about it bugs me.

lynx > all

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Konqueror  > ALL

i've never been a big fan of konqueror.. it's a decent browser..just something about it bugs me.

lynx > all

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I dont have any problems. I have about 60 tabs open now and only using 140970 k
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't think I've ever seen mine go above 150K or so.
After about three hours of surfing, it's at about 78K.

You don't like it, you can always go back to IE.....
~
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#31]
It wasn't that bad.  Just remember:  Think in Russian!

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#32]
"Firefox still sucks "
I dunno, I thought it was pretty cool when Clint landed the FireFox on the ice pack to refuel and got away just before the Ruskie choppers showed up......h.gif
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Dangit DarkNite! Out smartassed me by 6 friggin seconds!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Do  you remember the video game?  That rocked my world!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Firefox is working out rather well for me.  It seems to be a "Safari" with  the problems fixed.  As such, it is fine.  I had one particular problem with the last version of OPera (tried it about 3 weeks ago as a download from the Opera site, so I don't know if it was the latest version or the immediately preceeding one), similar to Safari in that it would not recognize certain blank fields on a page so I could fill in data and click to act on it.  Firefox works fine on that site.  ALso had problems with Safari and ar15.com: when I logged off, and it appeared I HAD logged off, upon returning it showed I was still logged on - I'll assume a caching issue.  Again, firefox solved that.  I suppose eventually I'll find something to pick on, but I haven't even learned the entire browser, yet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never had any script warnings. Do you have a link to a site that you're getting the warning on?

All sites, but I get the most of them here. Maybe that's because I spend more time here.
I'll copy the exact wording next time I get one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:25:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Two clicks and I got another one.

"Warning: Unresponsive script

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete."

Then it has a "Stop script" button, and a "Continue" button.

Before this shows up, everything just freezes. After several seconds this window pops up, and once it's closed or a button is clicked it'll take a few more seconds before you can click on the page and have it active again.
 Someone else had me download a script program, and I had to allow/disallow script on every site I went to. It had no effect on the problem  mentioned above, so I uninstalled that program.

I'm hopeful that if I can scrounge up the necessary funds to get WildBlue installed that it will clear this up.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:02:21 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
tell you what call your credit card company and tell you are not happy with the product, and i am sure they will refund your money.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:03:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Clear all.
Close it.
Reboot.

You mean you tried all that sh*t already?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:55:37 AM EDT
[#42]
GoGop, maybe you should uninstall all the plugins, and re-install them one by one until you find the one that causes that problem. It does seem like a lot of people find that FF plugins don't always work right (or cause other odd things).

Most of the problems that I hear people say FF has, I've never had. But then I don't have any plugins installed either. Coincidence?

------------

Also: the Mozilla browsers sacrafice some speed/optimization to the fact that they are cross-platform.

------------

Opera would be a lot better if it was open-source.
If I have to type my credit-card and bank passwords into it, I'd really rather know (from independent sources) exactly what the browser does with that data.
~
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:09:07 AM EDT
[#43]
OK, here's the 'problem'.  And once I realized this, I didn't get any more memory 'leak'.  This is actually a "feature."

They blame it on the user... as usual.  Our actual use patterns don't match the way they think we should browse.

Stop using your BACK button.  The previous page info is stored in memory for fast access.  So if you're checking your hotmail account, don't go into a message, then hit BACK and then refresh the page, use the link to the inbox and actually browse to it.

Avoid using your BACK button as much as possible and you will minimize the amount of memory FF takes up.

Unfortunately, they need to realize that users do, what users do... and they need to write code to take that into account, not assume that everyone browses the way they do.  Either that, or disallow the action by the user all together. And all this time, I've been browsing "wrong."

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:00:34 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
GoGop, maybe you should uninstall all the plugins, and re-install them one by one until you find the one that causes that problem. It does seem like a lot of people find that FF plugins don't always work right (or cause other odd things).

Most of the problems that I hear people say FF has, I've never had. But then I don't have any plugins installed either. Coincidence?

~

That's so far over my head, if I was in water I'd have drowned just reading it.

I appreciate the info, but have no idea what it means.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top