Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 9:39:12 PM EDT
And despite the RIDICULOUS NOTION that the problems in Africa could be helped if only unscrupulous gun runners wouldn't violate UN weapon embargoes it wasn't a terrible movie (which is rare for Nicholas Cage).

If a person could miraculously make ALL small arms dissapear in Africa they would still lead the world in mass murder. They would still massacre villages with machetes, deliberately infect each other with AIDS and would crush a small child with a rock for no other reason than 21rst century tribalism.

But it was still a facsinating film, especially as the small arms trade has been changed by the fall of the Soviet Union. Which is how all those K98 Mausers, Finnish M-39s, Moisins and other Eastern Front relics came to market, prior to the 1990s that crap was pretty rare.

And honestly how many of us wouldn't love to walk into a Ukranian armory loaded with AKs?

Some pretty cool weapons and stuff. They can cry me a river with their "evil gun runners making Africa suck" premise but that is hardly anything new.

But other than that nonsense most here will enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought the part about the US leaving all those M16s laying around because it was to expensive to ship them back was a little funny.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Africa will ALWAYS find a way to suck
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
On the bonus disk they list the M-16 as a 7.62...I saw the movie a few nights ago...enjoyed it pretty much but I could have killed the younger brother.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
It was one of those "its so bad its good" type of movies.  They really, really, tried to be anti-gun, but the only sympathetic character was Cage's.  Everyone else was one dimensional and they sucked, especially that idiot ATF agent.  So at the end of the day you end up rooting for the gun runner.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I watched it last night.  It was pretty entertaining, even if I didn't agree with all of the messages it attempted to send.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

And honestly how many of us wouldn't love to walk into a Ukranian armory loaded with AKs?

... Meh, not so much now with the 7.62X39 supply situation and all
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

sometimes there is a post that cuts thought the bullshit and sums up a topic perfectly  excellent !
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It was one of those "its so bad its good" type of movies.  They really, really, tried to be anti-gun, but the only sympathetic character was Cage's.  Everyone else was one dimensional and they sucked, especially that idiot ATF agent.  So at the end of the day you end up rooting for the gun runner.

I concur.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... Meh, not so much now with the 7.62X39 supply situation and all

I imagine the Ukraine has that as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I enjoyed the movie. Had some neat scenes.

The average movie patron isn't really gonna be picking out anti-gun messages anyway, they just want to see people get shot, shit get blown up, and hear some cool one-liners. Since people that frequent this board are more sensitive to gun related "messages" than the average joe I think the anti-gun angle in that movie is blown a little out of proportion around here because only people with interests like us would notice it anyway.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#11]
The thinly veiled references to Oliver North made me chuckle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought was funny when he watching some guy shoot AK and you hear the cash register sound every time a shell came out.

CHING CHING CHING
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#13]
In my view the anti-gun BS was enough to make you vomit but it did show the many beauties of capitolism.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Entertaining, yes. BS and preachy, yes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Only movie I've walked out on.... Ever.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I just saw it this last week as well.  I thought it was OK.

Mike

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#17]
[Homer Simpson] Mmmmmmm, gunfire. [/Homer Simpson]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#18]
HOLY CRAP what a weird coincidence, I JUST NOW finished watching it as well!!!!111one

I thought it was a good movie, I like Nicholas Cage. The movie was not anti-gun at all, if anything it showed how brutal and evil craphole dictators are. My only beef with the movie was the dumb cheap-shot at the U.S. at the end "oh well I basically work for the US gov't to provide guns to the enemies of our enemies, and besides the US is the biggest gun supplier in the world, and is on the UN security council even, ho ho ho!"
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I tought it was a pretty good movie.
Gonna buy it on DVD this comming monday.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#20]
it was a movie that had a good story line

h/w, i would not watch it again
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:05:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I liked the movie...the opening scene with the 7.62mm going though the manufacture to end user was neat. As far as the anti small arms message....it's funny but I came away with the same feelings that I did when a friend's wife [and a big lib] had me read  Sowing the dragons teeth A book  about the evils of landmines......sorry weapons are not the problem...it's people who want to kill other people.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:12:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I say this every time, but Lord of War is a fictionalized version of the life of Victor Bout.  Bout was a KGB officer at the time of the end of the Cold War, went into the business off selling off the USSR's weapons to anyone with money after 1991.  He wasn't a loser immigrant in NYC as in the movie.

Bout's story is fascinating, which is why someone made a movie out of it.  Michael Mann was going to, but decided to remake Miami Vice instead.  Someone else picked the idea up, but inexplicably dressed it up with a dumb love story, family drama, the American dream angle, and an obvious soundtrack.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:24:36 AM EDT
[#23]
The most unbelievable part was the warehouse full of M16s we supposedly left in Lebanon "because we always leave all our stuff behind".

Although I did enjoy the movie. Who wouldnt like an uncle like that?

Funniest part: "Now I have to sell it as a used gun!!"
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:36:53 AM EDT
[#24]
The scene where the bullet ended up into the kids head would have been more convinceing if it started in reverse coming from the kids head and all the way back to stamping the shell. Otherwise I bet the round would have been followed just to show it end up being shot into the dirt.

I never thought that self defense could be made to sound less then true when he was argueing with his wife. BTW she would be the last person I would listen to about how to live. She was a model and then a housewife. WTF does she know about the world?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:43:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I watched that last night too. I liked the ak firing slow motion and all he heard was a cash register bell.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:56:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Indoctrination for the UN effort to disarm anyone who might ever need to protect themsleves or overthrow a gov't entrenched in the UN.

But I still liked it. I have it again and will probably watch it today. Just love all those damn AKs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:29:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I tought it was a pretty good movie.
Gonna buy it on DVD this comming monday.

BUY??

Netflix, DVD burner, blank DVD's, DVD Shrink, DVD FAB, Nero.
Or so I have heard.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Like a Mau Mau with a panga...

(google Mau Mau if you need to)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
And despite the RIDICULOUS NOTION that the problems in Africa could be helped if only unscrupulous gun runners wouldn't violate UN weapon embargoes it wasn't a terrible movie (which is rare for Nicholas Cage).

If a person could miraculously make ALL small arms dissapear in Africa they would still lead the world in mass murder. They would still massacre villages with machetes, deliberately infect each other with AIDS and would crush a small child with a rock for no other reason than 21rst century tribalism.

True. It is estimated that 937,000 Tutsis and Hutus were killed with _matchetes_ in 100 days in Rwanda in 1994.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_genocide

Quoted:
The scene where the bullet ended up into the kids head would have been more convinceing if it started in reverse coming from the kids head and all the way back to stamping the shell. Otherwise I bet the round would have been followed just to show it end up being shot into the dirt.

I'd say that it would have been more convinceing if the shooter was stoned and fired a continious 30 round burst where the kid got hit twice - one round in the shoulder and one in the leg.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sometimes there is a post that cuts thought the bullshit and sums up a topic perfectly.

+1.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:38:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I thought was funny when he watching some guy shoot AK and you hear the cash register sound every time a shell came out.

CHING CHING CHING

That was pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Only movie I've walked out on.... Ever.

+1 it sucked
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top