Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 9:17:39 PM EDT
it seems like im not going to be able to avoid this. i must buy an Ipod this spring. im tired of having 30+ CDs in my truck, so why not put them all on one timy ipod ?

Target had one, that was 4MG for $250, made by Apple. is this a good purchase?

how reliable are they ?  easy to use and install music onto ?

you can put them on random play correct?

anyone have issues with them breaking or whatever?

any info / advice / personal experiences good or bad appreaciated, thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
you could also get a non-apple MP3 player and save some money...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
DON'T SHOP AT TARGET!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
iPod blows.  Check out the alternatives first.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Creative makes some decent MP3 Players. BTW, I don't shop at Target b/c they will support homo's before they will support our troops. Target is Pro-Gay
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The flash memory based player (Nano) should be ultra reliable.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
iPod blows.  Check out the alternatives first.

yeah thats why im on here.... to get useful info like that.

do the MP3 players use the same format as the ipods? seriously.. i have no clue how these work so....

how do they hold up to being in a vehicle in summer / winter ?

now my computer, when i upload CDs onto it, then when i burn the uploaded cds onto a copy cd, it goes automatically into a "reformatting" process quickly... is that the change-over from mp3- whatever or vise versa ?

i just dont want to get stuck with something i cant use or thats a headache.

and the MP3 played, can i run it through my FM station like you can with the ipod ??

thanks everyone
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#7]
iPods are great.  I have the 4GB Nano - which sounds like what you are looking at.  Good buy.  Only get the full size iPod if you want to watch videos n such.  4GB is more than enough storage space.  I would recommend that you turn off the backlight on it if you wan to maximize battery life though.  My roommate and I have both had Nanos since they came out in the fall.  The entire student body of UT Austin certainly thinks iPods are the best music player out there.

To address your questions:  iPod is very easy to use, is very durable, but I recommend getting a rubberized cover for it if you don’t want to scratch it.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]
ipod rocks i have a nano and a 40g with zero problems. 40 gig hooked up in my car to the alpine all the time night and day, again never a problem
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Creative is the only brand I will use b/c the controls seem to be MUCH easier to use for people who aren't tech gifted. If you have a computer with a CD drive, and a USB port you are ready to go
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Creative makes some decent MP3 Players. BTW, I don't shop at Target b/c they will support homo's before they will support our troops. Target is Pro-Gay

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#11]
NBrebel- wheres a good place to buy the one you mentioned??

as for the Ipod, if i do decide to go with that, any suggestions where to find the best price on that?

and i WONT go to target, i totally forgot about the whole troops issue. F-target. i didnt spend a penny there tonight thankfully
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, I don't have a problem with Homosexuals, but the way they handled it was uncalled for
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, I don't have a problem with Homosexuals, but the way they handled it was uncalled for

Just what are you talking about?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#14]
At the beginning of the Iraqi Freedom, Target/Mervyns (same company) was asked to donate to families of reservists who aren't making as much money (b/c they had to leave their f/t jobs) they responded that they already donated to more important organizations (and listed a bunch of pro-gay org's, then they declined to participate in the Marines "Toys for Tots for the last two or three years, and also refused to allow the Salvation Army to collect money in front of Target or Mervyns, b/c SA doesn't support gays. So...I don't shop at Target, I don't care if you do....but I refuse to.

BTW Sorry for hijacking your thread
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife has an iPod mini and it absolutely rocks.  However, you really need a hardwired connection, not a tape adapter, to the stereo in your vehicle to take full advantage of it.  The tape adapters we've tried don't do justice to the unit's capabilities.  I've heard that there are a few really good FM adapters out there but I would not count on it.

A protective case of some type is a must to prevent damage from scratches and drops.  That goes for both HD and flash based units.  We went with the iShock and it's saved the player several times.

Quoted:
DON'T SHOP AT TARGET!!!!!!!!

Ummm, did I miss something?

ETA:  Never mind...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
At the beginning of the Iraqi Freedom, Target/Mervyns (same company) was asked to donate to families of reservists who aren't making as much money (b/c they had to leave their f/t jobs) they responded that they already donated to more important organizations (and listed a bunch of pro-gay org's, then they declined to participate in the Marines "Toys for Tots for the last two or three years, and also refused to allow the Salvation Army to collect money in front of Target or Mervyns, b/c SA doesn't support gays. So...I don't shop at Target, I don't care if you do....but I refuse to.

BTW Sorry for hijacking your thread

With the whole internet available to you, and you just rely on what you read in some cheese-dick email?

Snopes:

Target Corporation has been recognized by the National Committee for Employer Support of the National Guard and Reserve (ESGR) as an "Outstanding Employer" which has "gone above and beyond the requirements of the law in support of their National Guard and Reserve employees." Target employees who are activated for military service and were participating in optional dependent coverage at the time of their deployment are eligible to continue these benefits if they so choose. Target Corporation also allows any Target team member to continue benefits as provided by the 1986 Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA).

The company has been no less generous toward veterans. Not only did Target contribute to the World War II Memorial and sponsor the 2003 tour of "The Wall that Heals" — the same exhibit for which Forrey was soliciting donations — but it also donated to the Eastern Paralyzed Veterans Association in New York, the Hays County veterans in Texas, and the Disabled American Veterans Auxiliaries in Michigan and California.

Et cetera and so forth.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an Ipod Nano... works great.  Need to get a better FM transmitter for the car though... it can get static.

- BG
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#19]

just for an example, Target had a $24.00 "fm adaptor" for sale, looked like it just plugged right into the Ipod. are these any good, or do they provide alot of static as mentioned?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, after I typed that, I looked it up on Snopes, however, there is truth behind the Salvation Army rumor....thats what I was told by the manager when I asked after initially hearing the rumor...He actually stated that there was a difference in opinion....so if he says that and the e-mail said the SA doesn't support gays....its up to you to decide....BTW, if they support Toys for Tots, where were the donation centers the last 2 years? I guess it's just a personal decision
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#21]

and yeah, i dont recall target doing the toys for tots drive either.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yeah, after I typed that, I looked it up on Snopes, however, there is truth behind the Salvation Army rumor....thats what I was told by the manager when I asked after initially hearing the rumor...He actually stated that there was a difference in opinion....so if he says that and the e-mail said the SA doesn't support gays....its up to you to decide....BTW, if they support Toys for Tots, where were the donation centers the last 2 years? I guess it's just a personal decision

Sigh.

They don't allow the salvation army anymore due to worries over having to provide equal access to any other group that asked for it. There have been court cases where liberal judges ruled that places like malls and shopping centers are defacto public spaces and they're the new town square, so if you allow access to one group, you have to allow access to them all.

Target basically said 'screw that' and cut off access to the salvation army in order to head off any legal difficulties. You know, deep pockets = target for lawyers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

just for an example, Target had a $24.00 "fm adaptor" for sale, looked like it just plugged right into the Ipod. are these any good, or do they provide alot of static as mentioned?

I've never had one fm modulator that provided acceptable sound quality.

Target should (walrmat does) sell a wired FM modulator that you can hook into your car stereo. You connect it to your car stereo and your ipod via a line to the modulater. Much better signal quality than you can get with wireless.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry for hijacking this thread.....you may want to change the title to Ipods, Target and Queers
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigh.

They don't allow the salvation army anymore due to worries over having to provide equal access to any other group that asked for it. There have been court cases where liberal judges ruled that places like malls and shopping centers are defacto public spaces and they're the new town square, so if you allow access to one group, you have to allow access to them all.

Target basically said 'screw that' and cut off access to the salvation army in order to head off any legal difficulties. You know, deep pockets = target for lawyers.

another example of helpless children suffering, so that others can piss and moan about their feelings and opinions.  kinda like " no celibrating Christmas in school"

dont worry about hijacking my thread, im not offended.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Snopes is a disinformation site created by the mastermind behind all of these conspiracies.

The aim of snopes is to fool you into not believing the truth.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Swallow your pride, suck down the Kool-Aid and buy an iPod just like I did a year and a half ago.  Get the one with the biggest hard drive you can.  Just like gun safes, you will fill it up.

I have a 60GB iPod Photo.  I love it.  I seem to have an obsessive compulsion to try to fill it up, but I can't seem to do it.  I currently have a month and a half of non-stop, non-repetitive, hi bit-rate music to listen to in genres ranging from Benny Goodman, to Miles Davis, to Frank, to Iron Maiden, to Dwight Yoakam, to ABBA, to Steve Roach, to Johnny Cash, to Elvis, to Leo Kottke (how can you not love Vaseline Machine Gun no matter how much of a Pinko Kottke is...and he is GREAT in concert) to Rush,  to Trent Reznor, to a bunch of Feakish Shit that I forgot why I have it.

PLUS!  A shitload of pics on it ranging from hi-res family photos to pics which if my mother saw, would demand I seek therapy.

I am only a tad bit over half full.

Come on in.  Get an iPod.  The water is fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top