Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 8:40:49 PM EDT
...im trying to take off a castle nut on a buffe tube. its apparently either staked or loctited? does RRA stake them? If not and it is only loc-tite what can i do within human abuility to get the little bastard off?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
i knw this should be in ar and it is but i dont think im going to get help as fast there and i want to take this rifle out in the morning
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you want the correct way or the "cheap, late night, every store is closed and I really wanna get this stock on" way?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you using the correct tool?

I'm not an expert on RRA AR's, but in my exprience they are normally neither staked nor loctited.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
i want the "i dont wanna have to find a buffer tube in the morning" way???
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
The correct way is to get the tool to take it off....I balanced the blade of a hatchet on my castle nut and smacked it with a hammer and it spun loose (NOTE: I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT, BUT IT WORKED)
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
im using the RRA stock wrench tool ( which sucks by the way)
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Why don't you try pushing down on the detent for the buffer spring?  That same detent which is held in by the buffer tube, also keeps it from rotating
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#8]
If you've got the correct tool, I'd either put a pipe on the handle to get some more leverage/torque, or whack the handle with a mallet to try to loose it up.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#9]
if i am facing the back of the rifle (read sight facing me as if aiming) which way am i going to go? my left correct? how much pressure is too much pressure?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I think RR does use locktight but it can be taken off. I don't own a RR but have heard it more than once. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Also even if you have a stock wrench it can be a bitch the first time.

Also once you get it loose don't let the detent spring fly or you won't be shooting even if you can take it off.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why don't you try pushing down on the detent for the buffer spring?  That same detent which is held in by the buffer tube, also keeps it from rotating

I thought he was taking about the castle nut, not the buffer tube itself.

He'll get to THAT problem in about 10 minutes.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#13]
ive taken mine of my bushy when the ban ended to put a 6 pos on,but this fucker is killing me
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
if i am facing the back of the rifle (read sight facing me as if aiming) which way am i going to go? my left correct? how much pressure is too much pressure?

Yes - if the muzzle is pointing AWAY from you, as if you were going to be shooting it, you need to turn the castle nut to the left.

I wanted to be 100% sure before giving advice, so I literally just ran upstairs and loosend the castle nut on one of my CMMG's to be sure.  Definitely left.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#15]
so far all ive done is scratch the damned tube. i can honestly say this rra tool blows ass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top